Auto Accident Lawyer Columbia, MO
Auto Accident Lawyer Columbia, MO. If you or a loved one are seriously injured in an auto accident, Burger Law is the law firm to contact in the Columbia, MO area. Talk with an experienced Columbia, MO auto accident lawyer immediately at (314) 500-HURT or reach out to us online.
If you were seriously injured in a car crash, find out how much your claim may be worth in Columbia, MO, with our free personal injury calculator.
The Burger Law lawyers fight for your rights and demands a complete recovery in your Columbia, MO car crash claim. Our attorneys have successfully recovered over $200 million in settlement and trial results for our clients in Columbia, MO and throughout Missouri, featuring a multi-year legal battle resulting in a trial verdict of $113 million. They will stop nothing short of a complete recovery for you.
Burger Law’s Successful Missouri Auto Accident Claims
At Burger Law, we believe that results matter. Our Columbia, MO clients want to know that we are giving 100 percent to a case and win the best possible settlement on their behalf. Below are some recent examples of car crash settlements we have won for clients:
- $300k Utility Terrain Vehicle Settlement
- On-Ramp Accident Leads to $327,000 Settlement
- $90,000 Settlement after Car Accident
- Head on Collision
- Rear End Accident Leads to $35,000 recovery
Injured in an Auto Accident? Contact a Columbia, MO Auto Accident Lawyer
After an auto accident in Columbia, MO, you should be focused on getting your injuries treated. You should not have to worry about fighting your insurance company for the medical care you need, or worrying about whether you are going to receive the financial compensation for the recovery you need and deserve for the car accident, or even legal jargon and court dates. The Burger Law Columbia, MO auto accident lawyers can concentrate all their efforts on the above facets.
Our lawyers are ready to fight for your rights, ensure that you receive complete compensation for the recovery you deserve and get back to a normal life. Call one of our Columbia, MO auto accident lawyers right away at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online contact form. They are ready to confidentially discuss the specifics of your case for free with no obligation.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Auto Accidents in Columbia, MO?
Auto accidents happen in what often feels like a blink of an eye. Although there are some possible hazardous conditions and events outside of our purview that can contribute to crashes, most car crashes are caused by driver error. Research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that human motorists are responsible for 94 percent of accidents that occur.
Some of the most common causes of Columbia, MO car crashes are:
- Distracted Driving
- Texting and Driving
- Drunk Driving
- Hit and Run
- Construction Zones
- Failing to Yield
- Rain or Bad Weather
- Reckless Driving, including:
- Cutting another car off
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Running red lights
- Blocking a car or changing speed to prevent another car from changing lanes, passing, etc.
- Refusing to use turn signals
- Forcing a car off the road
- Using high beams to interfere with another driver’s ability to see
What Is the Average Car Accident Settlement Amount in the Columbia, MO Area?
Auto accidents are costly. According to research from the Insurance Information Institute, property damage, injuries and deaths in auto accidents cost $474 billion in 2020. The NHTSA, approximates that motor vehicle crashes cost society $7,300 per second in loss of productivity.
In terms of the cost of paying out the average car accident settlement in Columbia, MO, or anywhere for that matter, it can be difficult to pinpoint an exact figure as the specifics of each case vary and many settlement amounts are confidential. However, generally speaking, most of car crash settlements come in between $15,000 and $20,000. Injuries requiring more comprehensive medical care frequently reach $50,000 to $100,000, while injuries causing permanent disability or, in the worst cases, wrongful death, can bring about damages of hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.
In addition, we have extensive experience winning the following cases for our Columbia, MO clients:
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim in Columbia, MO?
Once you are injured in a Columbia, MO auto accident, the state of Missouri's statute of limitations dictates how long you have after the date of the accident to file your claim.
- In general, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.120, you have five years from the date of your injury to file your personal injury claim in Columbia, MO or elsewhere in Missouri.
- If you were under the age of 21 at the time of the injury, or were mentally incapacitated at the time, Missouri Revised Statute §516.170 states that you have 5 years after the date you turn 21 or that your "legal disability" ends.
- If you are harmed by someone who was a resident of Missouri when the injury happened, but left the state at a later date before you filed a lawsuit, Missouri Revised Statute §516.200 states that the time the defendant is out of the state does not apply toward the 5 years.
The clock is already ticking for when you can make your claim, if you have been injured in a Columbia, MO auto accident. Do not wait, give the auto accident law firm of Burger Law a call today at (314) 500-HURT or reach out to us online to get justice and maximum compensation for your injuries. We start working on your Columbia, MO claim right away and do not rest until we win.
What Are the Factors That Determine an Auto Accident Settlement in Columbia, MO?
As the purpose of a car crash settlement is to adequately compensate you for your damages, the seriousness of those injuries is the compelling element in how much your settlement may be. Other facets include the insurance policy in question, how your injuries have impacted your life, if you bear any responsibility for your accident and the abilities of your Columbia, MO auto crash lawyer:
- The seriousness of your injuries — As more serious injuries lead to more time lost from work in Columbia, MO and larger medical expenses, they lead to bigger settlements, especially when factoring in the pain and suffering multiplier.
- How your injuries have impacted your life — The greater the effect on your mental, emotional and physical well-being, the higher the noneconomic damages will be.
- The insurance policy — Missouri has a minimum insurance requirement of $25,000 for bodily injury, and while a skilled Columbia, MO auto accident lawyer may be able to get you more, there are times when the compensation is dependant upon the negligent driver's and/or your insurance policy limits.
- If you are partially responsible — With comparative negligence policies like Missouri law observes, you can still be awarded financial compensation if you were partially responsible for the accident; however, the amount will be less. For example, if you are awarded $100,000 in damages but it is decided that you are 30 percent to blame for your accident, you would receive $70,000. You can still receive compensation in Missouri, even if you were 99 percent at fault.
- Your car accident lawyer — You need a skilled and aggressive Columbia, MO attorney to combat the insurance company's tricks. Your auto accident lawyer will also need to investigate your accident, prove liability on the part of the other driver and have a network of economic and medical professionals in the Columbia, MO area and throughout MO to accurately calculate your claim. If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, you will need an experienced trial lawyer with courtroom savvy that will argue your case in front of a jury.
What Tricks Do Insurance Companies Use To Avoid Paying Claims?
When you have a personal injury claim, be aware of the tricks insurance c …
Is It Worth It to Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Is It Worth It to Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident? If you've been injured …
When Should I Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
When Should I Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident? If you were injured …
What Do I Do After an Auto Accident in Columbia, MO?
Car crashes are never a pleasant experience, and they are often frightening and startling. However, it is important to keep a level head following an accident. According to the Burger Law Columbia, MO auto accident lawyers, you should follow these steps to ensure everyone’s well-being and to receive the finest results from your claim in Columbia, MO:
- Check to see if you or anyone else is injured. The most important thing in a Columbia, MO auto accident is everybody's well-being and safety. Assess the scene to see if anyone is injured and how severe their injuries are. If there are serious injuries to you or anyone else, call 911 right away. If you can and it is safe to do so, render aid to anyone who needs it.
- Get to safety. If anyone is severely injured, do not move them until emergency medical personnel arrive, and alert other vehicles of the crash. If you are unable to move your vehicle, turn on the emergency lights and exit to get to the side of the road when it is safe. Otherwise, move your vehicle to the side of the road and out of the way of oncoming traffic to avoid a multi-car accident.
- Call the police. Call the Columbia, MO or county police if you have not already dialed 911. Missouri Revised Statute §303.040 demands Missouri drivers to report any motor vehicle accident that results in death, personal injury, or over $500 in property damage. If you are unsure as to the extent of the damage or how bad your injuries are, err on the side of caution and call the police. Police in Columbia, MO are trained to offer an official account of what happened in accidents, and their report will go a long way in proving your claim and holding the other party accountable. It is also the law.
- Collect evidence and document the accident scene. Take pictures of all vehicles involved, any injuries you sustained and other parts of the scene, like the road around the accident. The lack of tire marks may be sufficient to prove that the other driver was distracted and is responsible for the auto accident. If the other driver was drunk, take photos of the police arresting them.
You should also trade insurance information with the other driver. If there were eyewitnesses, collect their contact information so that your Columbia, MO auto accident lawyer can take official depositions from them. As your memory will be freshest in the immediate aftermath, it is also a good idea to jot down all that comes to mind about the accident as you may forget seemingly insignificant details that later turn out to be crucial.
- Get medical treatment. It is a good idea to go to an urgent care facility in the Columbia, MO area after a car accident, even if you do not believe your injuries are severe. With some injuries, adrenaline can frequently mask pain and you may not experience symptoms right away after a crash.
- Reach out to Burger Law. When you are seriously hurt in a car crash, it is necessary to find a knowledgeable attorney who can help you navigate the complexities of your case. An experienced, professional lawyer who fights back against bullies like resistant insurance companies is frequently the lone way you can really get maximum compensation for your damages. Our lawyers have more than 70 years of combined experience standing up for the injured in Columbia, MO. We know car accident claims and will be able to figure out precisely how much you are owed. Speaking with us about your claim is free, so it is important to never accept a settlement offer before asking an auto accident attorney if it is actually fair. Additionally, we are knowledgeable trial lawyers, so if we cannot negotiate a fair financial recovery, we will take the fight in front of a jury and a judge.
What Should I Look For When Selecting an Auto Accident Lawyer in Columbia, MO?
When it comes to choosing an auto accident lawyer in Columbia, MO, it is integral to do your research and find the right attorney for the particulars of your case. Here are some key aspects to consider:
- Experience: An experienced auto accident attorney will know the intricacies of the legal system and be able to help you fight against bullying insurance companies. Burger Law has over three decades of experience in the Columbia, MO area, and throughout Missouri, standing up to prosecutors and insurance companies on behalf of our clients.
- Specialization: Different lawyers are accomplished in different specifics of the law, and it is important to locate one who specializes in auto accident cases. The Burger Law Columbia, MO auto accident attorneys are not only well versed in car crash cases, we dedicate our careers to handling cases like yours and doing whatever it takes to get you full compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, various out-of-pocket expenses and the pain and suffering you have sustained because of your injuries.
- Reputation: It is also essential to locate an attorney who has a good reputation and is known in the community. Ask around for recommendations and read online reviews, and you will notice Burger Law’s stellar track record throughout the Columbia, MO area.
- Communication: It is crucial to locate a lawyer in Columbia, MO who is willing to answer your questions and is easy to talk to. Gary Burger has literally written the book on the absolutely essential questions to ask before you pick a lawyer. Our attorneys always make sure you are in the know on what is going on with your case. Additionally, we handle all documentation, negotiation and litigation, also keeping you in the loop throughout these processes. Give us a call as soon as possible at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
Contact a Burger Law Columbia, MO Auto Accident Lawyer
No matter if it is some other auto accident lawyer near Columbia, MO or an offer from an insurance company, do not settle for less than you deserve. Burger Law has experienced, aggressive and unwavering auto accident lawyers ready and willing to stand in your corner and fight for your rights throughout the life of your claim.
Give our Columbia, MO auto accident lawyers a call now at (314) 500-HURT or reach out to us online. We do not collect any fees until we win your case. Get legal representation in Columbia, MO when you need it, and pay when you get paid.