Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Buffalo, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Buffalo, MO. If you or a family member has been hurt in a devastating bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never receive the same attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can often be just as dangerous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Buffalo, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and obey the rules. When they break that trust and break the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes permanent consequences for you or the people you care about. Your Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you recover the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Buffalo and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to take responsibility for their reckless behavior. Many Buffalo, MO individuals have put their cases and their futures in our capable hands, and to date we have collected for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, persistence, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Buffalo, MO residents heal. You should not have to lose work, pay for pricey medical bills and also handle the emotional toll of your injury just because somebody else disregarded the rules. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a Buffalo, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We start working on your claim immediately, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Buffalo, MO because of someone else's negligent behavior, discover how much your injury may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Buffalo, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially powerless. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on the bus assuming that the adequate safety arrangements were adhered to. Buffalo, MO bus companies and drivers have strict rules they have an obligation to follow, but sometimes they neglect those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is generally exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly heal from, may have permanent effects or in the worst instances can even result in wrongful death. The Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case at once, and will not let up until you get the full compensation you deserve. We have experienced with every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Buffalo, MO individuals and families into settling for less money than they entitled to. Those Buffalo, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the passionate, seasoned and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complicated and can be difficult to comprehend for Buffalo, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have over two decades of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every facet of your claim. You can anticipate a seasoned and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to obtain important evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were close by. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are typically many passengers who want the same answers and compensation you do. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Acquire further evidence such as tire marks, security footage, police reports, and important details such as how many miles the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and maintenance was performed on the bus. A lot of different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held liable.
- Work alongside our network of Buffalo, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will use our knowledge and expertise to ensure you collect it.
- Stand up to resistant Buffalo, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your injuries. When you hire us, you can be sure those ploys will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We take control of all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a family member has been harmed in a calamitous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it takes so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine what entity needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Buffalo, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that inexperienced drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver action. While the same study found that only 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a serious offense such as drunk driving, a different study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus wrecks had committed driving errors, for instance, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A lot of bus drivers, particularly the ones that work for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those regulations are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or followed.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ weight and the difficulty of steering them, slick roads or Buffalo, MO construction areas can be especially hazardous for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you decide if that is true in your case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of over 765,000 motor carriers, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors generally cannot stay ahead of the number of inspections needed. Some Buffalo, MO bus companies do not correctly repair their vehicles, causing them to be dangerous. Additionally, bus companies need to ensure that their drivers are correctly trained and are not overworked.
- Hazardous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and crashing. A Few typical examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Defective or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, such as branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Buffalo, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the negligent parties accountable. The at-fault party may be a local Buffalo, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the problem but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not adequately repair it.
Once your accomplished Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney confirm the cause of your wreck, they will be able to establish who is responsible for your injuries and how to go forward with getting you a maximum financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found negligent in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their riders to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to make sure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of saying that safety is their highest priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not following its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to inhibit fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not obeyed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were due to driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound customers have stated that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which constitutes distracted driving.
Ensuring that Buffalo, MO buses are properly inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident could be a consequence of a bus company either failing to conduct routine maintenance or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly vulnerable to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be mindful in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be properly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to verify the safety of their vehicles and immediately announce recalls in the event of a malfunctioning product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may attempt to shift the blame to someone else, your Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure careless parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Buffalo or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be disastrous because of the amount of people who could be injured and because they typically happen in densely populated areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Buffalo, MO government, there are specific procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability suits. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is crucial to contact a Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney right away after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause an accident owing to driver error. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop driving when they were feeling drowsy, did not pay attention to the Buffalo, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be certain that the dedicated and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto accident, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some instances they each may bear a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can harm you. If you were harmed in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and seasoned Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney will help you determine if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the kind of bus accident we most commonly see in Buffalo and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus wrecks. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Buffalo, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially bad or they did not perform sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Buffalo, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you collect in a bus accident case will generally be based on the gravity of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have gotten a sprained wrist that only required a quick trip to an emergency room in Buffalo, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have received a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you collect a fair financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work with our team of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you recover full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Buffalo, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the immense anguish and ruinous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Buffalo, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, honest and tenacious and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have gained over the past two decades to secure you the the best possible recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case review.