Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Cass County, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Cass County, MO. If you or someone you care about has been harmed in a catastrophic bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can frequently be just as hazardous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Cass County, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and respect the rules. When they eschew their responsibilities and disregard the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent outcomes for you or the people you care about. Your Cass County, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make certain that you get the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Cass County and throughout Missouri and fighting back against bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held responsible for their careless actions. Many Cass County, MO families have put their cases and their futures in our accomplished hands, and in total we have collected for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, devotion, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Cass County, MO residents heal. You should not have to lose work, pay for expensive medical bills and also deal with the emotional scars of your injury just because another person did not respect the rules. If you or someone you care about has been harmed in a Cass County, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We begin working on your case straight away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the compensation you are entitled to.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Cass County, MO because of another person's negligent actions, find out how much your damages may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Cass County, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are probably feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on board the bus under the assumption that the adequate safety protocols were obeyed. Cass County, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they have a duty to follow, but sometimes they fail in those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is generally caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really heal from, may have permanent consequences or in the most terrible instances can even lead to wrongful death. The Cass County, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand in your corner so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we start working on your case straight away, and work tirelessly until you get the maximum compensation you are entitled to. We have experienced with every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Cass County, MO individuals and families into accepting less compensation than they entitled to. Those Cass County, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the passionate, seasoned and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is complicated and can be difficult to comprehend for Cass County, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial experience of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Cass County, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every aspect of your case. You can bank on an experienced and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to secure important evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also received injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are almost always other passengers who want the same answers and financial recovery you seek. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to help in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, security videos, police reports, and key details such as how far the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was done on the bus. A lot of different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Cass County, MO bus accident attorney will discover why the crash happened and who needs to be held liable.
- Utilize our network of Cass County, MO accident and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and assess precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will utilize our knowledge and expertise to make certain you collect it.
- Fight back against resistant Cass County, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their duty to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We collect no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a catastrophic bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a part to play in running a bus safely you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Cass County, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Cass County, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under the age of 25, in addition to more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver action. While the same study stated that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were caused by a grave offense such as drunk driving, a different study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had been cited with driving errors, for example, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly those that work for commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have specifications about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or obeyed.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ weight and the awkwardness of maneuvering them, slick roads or Cass County, MO construction areas can be particularly hazardous for bus riders. In some cases a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you discover if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but not nearly as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors frequently cannot stay ahead of the quantity of inspections required. Some Cass County, MO bus companies do not adequately repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies need to ensure that their drivers are sufficiently trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Hazardous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few typical examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Cass County, MO street, the better your chances of holding the negligent parties accountable. The liable party may be a local Cass County, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to repair the issue but either did not do so soon enough or did not adequately repair it.
Once your expert Cass County, MO bus accident attorney establishes the reasons behind your wreck, they will be able to confirm who is liable for your injuries and how to proceed with winning you the best possible compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found at-fault in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are regarded as common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their patrons to look out for their safety. One facet of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite saying that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules concerning driver fatigue. Drivers are technically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not followed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound passengers have said that their driver was eating when the crash happened, which is an example of distracted driving.
Ensuring that Cass County, MO buses are correctly inspected and repaired and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident may be a consequence of a bus company either failing to provide routine maintenance or neglecting to fix a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are especially susceptible to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Cass County, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will carry out a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck took place.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to certify the safety of their vehicles and quickly issue recalls if a product is found to be faulty. If they approve an inherently faulty design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning correctly, they are guilty of product liability. While they might try to shift the blame to someone else, your Cass County, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure at-fault parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Cass County or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be calamitous because of the amount of people involved and because they generally transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can make a claim against the Cass County, MO government, there are specific procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury claims. If you seek to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is urgent to call a Cass County, MO bus accident attorney right away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck because of driving mistakes. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the Cass County, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the horrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty to heart and causes you injury, you can be confident that the dedicated and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle wreck, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may be responsible for a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were harmed in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and experienced Cass County, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Cass County and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus wrecks. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Cass County, MO may also be held accountable, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly bad or they did not conduct sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Cass County, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you get in a bus accident case will usually be based on the gravity of your injuries and how they have affected and will impact they have on your life. You may have received a sprained wrist that just needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Cass County, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Cass County, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you secure a full financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We utilize our network of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you deserve, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Cass County, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you collect full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Cass County, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every sort of bus accident case and know the incalculable anguish and disastrous effect it can have on your and your family. Your Cass County, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, straightforward and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have gained over the past two decades to win you the full recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary case review.