Bus Accident Attorney in Clayton, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Clayton, MO. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a devastating bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely ever get equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can frequently be just as hazardous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Clayton, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and obey the rules. When they eschew their duty and break the rules it can have terrible, sometimes lifelong consequences for you or your family. Your Clayton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you win the full compensation that you are owed for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than two decades of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Clayton and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held accountable for their thoughtless actions. Many Clayton, MO residents have put their cases and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have gotten them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, commitment, persistence, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Clayton, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for extortionate medical costs and also handle the emotional scars of your injury only because someone else disregarded the rules. If you or a family member has been injured in a Clayton, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at or contact us online for a complimentary consultation. We begin working on your claim at once, and we do not charge any fees until we win you the financial recovery you deserve.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Clayton, MO because of someone else's careless actions, learn how much your injury may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
Do I Need a Clayton, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have sustained injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the driver and you boarded the bus supposing that the adequate safety protocols were adhered to. Clayton, MO bus companies and drivers have strict regulations they have a responsibility to respect, but sometimes they neglect those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really recover from, may have lifelong consequences or in the most terrible instances can even lead to wrongful death. The Clayton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case straight away, and will not let up until you get the maximum compensation you are entitled to. We have experienced with every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Clayton, MO individuals and families into accepting a lower recovery than they entitled to. Those Clayton, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, accomplished and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complex and can be unforgiving to Clayton, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial skills of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have over two decades of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Clayton, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every facet of your case. You can expect a veteran and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to secure essential evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also sustained injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry many passengers, there are almost always many passengers who want the same answers and financial recovery you need. Eyewitness testimony is a vital part of winning your case.
- Collect additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, and key details such as how far the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and maintenance was performed on the bus. Several different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Clayton, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held liable.
- Work with our network of Clayton, MO auto wreck and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on exactly how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will utilize our know-how and expertise to ensure you receive it.
- Stand up to resistant Clayton, MO insurance companies who care more about their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your injuries. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our finely honed litigation skills to secure you a full financial recovery for your damages.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be by your side the whole time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until you get maximum compensation. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a catastrophic bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since it takes so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Clayton, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out who is responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Clayton, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that beginner drivers under the age of 25, as well as more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver action. While the same study stated that just 4 percent of bus accidents were caused by an egregious offense such as the driver being intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had been cited with driving errors, such as speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, especially the ones that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or complied with.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ weight and the difficulty of steering them, icy roads or Clayton, MO construction areas can be especially risky for bus commuters. In some cases a third party such as a construction company is liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for inspections of over 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors frequently cannot stay ahead of the number of inspections required. Some Clayton, MO bus companies do not properly maintain their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Additionally, bus companies are obligated to make sure that their drivers are adequately trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few typical examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Defective or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, such as branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Clayton, MO street, the better your chances of holding the negligent parties accountable. The at-fault party may be a local Clayton, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to eliminate the condition but either did not do so quickly enough or did not correctly repair it.
Once your experienced Clayton, MO bus accident attorney confirm the cause of your wreck, they will be able to confirm who is responsible for your injuries and how to proceed with delivering you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found liable in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their riders to look out for their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to make sure that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite saying that safety is their foremost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules in regards to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to stave off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often obeyed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound riders have stated that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Clayton, MO buses are adequately inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident may be a consequence of a bus company either neglecting to provide routine maintenance or failing to repair a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are particularly predisposed to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be properly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Clayton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident transpired.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to confirm the safety of their vehicles and immediately announce recalls if a product is found to be unsafe. If they approve an inherently flawed design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to place the blame on somebody else, your Clayton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure reckless parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Clayton or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be disastrous because of the amount of people involved and because they typically take place in densely populated areas. While you can file a suit against the Clayton, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury suits. If you want to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is urgent to contact a Clayton, MO bus accident attorney right away after your accident. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at .
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck owing to recklessness. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop the bus when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Clayton, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you ascend a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility to heart and causes you injury, you can be confident that the devoted and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle accident, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may bear a portion of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were harmed in a bus crash where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and accomplished Clayton, MO bus accident attorney will help you determine if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Clayton and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus wrecks. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Clayton, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly dangerous or they did not perform adequate background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Clayton, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will usually be based on the severity of your injuries and the ramifications they have on your life. You may have sustained a sprained wrist that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Clayton, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Clayton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you are awarded a fair financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We use our network of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Clayton, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you are awarded maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Survival Action Lawyer in Missouri
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
Call Our Clayton, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Clayton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is compassionate, accomplished, trustworthy and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past 20 years to win you the maximum recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at or fill out our online form for a free case review.