Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Florissant, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Florissant, MO. If you or a family member has been harmed in a catastrophic bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely ever get equal attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can frequently be just as harmful and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Florissant, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and respect the rules. When they break that trust and break the rules it can have terrible, sometimes lifelong outcomes for you or the people you care about. Your Florissant, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you secure the best possible compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience defending the injured in Florissant and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to take responsibility for their thoughtless behavior. Our Florissant, MO clients have put their cases and their futures in our knowledgeable hands, and to date we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, dedication, resolution, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Florissant, MO residents heal. You should not have to lose work, pay for expensive medical costs and also deal with the emotional trauma of your injury only because somebody else did not respect the rules. If you or a family member has been hurt in a Florissant, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We get started on your case right away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Florissant, MO because of somebody else's reckless behavior, discover how much your claim may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Florissant, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have received injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the driver and you went aboard the bus presuming that the appropriate safety protocols were adhered to. Florissant, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they have an obligation to adhere to, but sometimes they neglect those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly recover from, may have lifelong consequences or in the most tragic instances can even cause wrongful death. The Florissant, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we start working on your case at once, and work relentlessly until you recover the maximum compensation you are owed. We have seen every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Florissant, MO individuals and families into settling for less compensation than they entitled to. Those Florissant, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the passionate, accomplished and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is convoluted and can be unforgiving to Florissant, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than two decades of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Florissant, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every facet of your case. You can expect an accomplished and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site as soon as possible. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to obtain vital evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also received injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry multiple passengers, there are typically a lot of people who want the same answers and compensation you seek. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to help in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, security videos, police reports, as well as key details such as how many miles the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. Many different factors give rise to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Florissant, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held liable.
- Utilize our network of Florissant, MO crash and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and assess exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will utilize our knowledge and expertise to ensure you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Florissant, MO insurance companies who care more about their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their obligation to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our finely honed litigation skills to win you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be by your side the entire time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until you get full compensation. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a ruinous bus accident, contact an expert and committed bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it necessitates so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Florissant, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Florissant, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that beginner drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver behavior. While the same study reported that just 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a serious offense such as the driver being intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had been cited with driving errors, for instance, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have specifications about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how frequently they have to take a break, those regulations are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or followed.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ weight and the intricacy of driving them, slippery roads or Florissant, MO construction areas can be especially dangerous for bus riders. In some cases a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you decide if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but not nearly as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of over 765,000 motor carriers, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors typically cannot keep pace with the number of inspections needed. Some Florissant, MO bus companies do not correctly repair their vehicles, causing them to be dangerous. Furthermore, bus companies are mandated to ensure that their drivers are sufficiently trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and causing an accident. A Few common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Defective or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the Florissant, MO road, the better your chances of holding the at-fault parties accountable. The negligent party may be a local Florissant, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to eliminate the issue but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not correctly repair it.
Once your skilled Florissant, MO bus accident attorney establishes the reasons for your accident, they will be able to determine who is liable for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward getting you the best possible compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are typically found liable in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their passengers to maintain their safety. Part of that duty of care is to make sure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of saying that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not following its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off drowsiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not followed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were due to driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound passengers have stated that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making certain that Florissant, MO buses are properly inspected and maintained and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident might be because of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine maintenance or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly predisposed to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be diligent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Florissant, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to guarantee the safety of their vehicles and immediately announce recalls if a product is discovered to be defective. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning correctly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to shift the blame to somebody else, your Florissant, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure at-fault parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Florissant or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be devastating because of the number of people who could be injured and because they generally occur in densely populated areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Florissant, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury claims. If you seek to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is necessary to get in touch with a Florissant, MO bus accident attorney straight away after your accident. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash due to negligence. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop when they were feeling drowsy, did not pay attention to the Florissant, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the horrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility seriously and causes you injury, you can be confident that the committed and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle collision, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some instances they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were hurt in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and accomplished Florissant, MO bus accident attorney will help you establish if they are at fault and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Florissant and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus wrecks. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Florissant, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially bad or they did not carry out proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Florissant, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you collect in a bus accident case will typically depend on the gravity of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have received a mild concussion that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Florissant, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Florissant, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you are awarded a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We utilize our network of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Florissant, MO bus accident attorney team will fight aggressively to ensure that you recover maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Florissant, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the immense pain and ruinous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Florissant, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, honest and relentless and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past two decades to get you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.