Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Grain Valley, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Grain Valley, MO. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a disastrous bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely ever get the same attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can oftentimes be just as hazardous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Grain Valley, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and respect the rules. When they eschew their obligations and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent consequences for you or your family. Your Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you recover the full compensation that you are owed for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Grain Valley and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who selfishly do not want to take responsibility for their thoughtless actions. Our Grain Valley, MO clients have put their claims and their futures in our accomplished hands, and to date we have recovered for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, resolution, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Grain Valley, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for ridiculous medical bills and also handle the emotional trauma of your injury only because somebody else broke the rules. If you or a family member has been hurt in a Grain Valley, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We start working on your case right away, and we do not charge any fees until we win you the compensation you deserve.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Grain Valley, MO because of someone else's negligent behavior, discover how much your damages may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Grain Valley, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on board the bus supposing that the appropriate safety protocols were adhered to. Grain Valley, MO bus companies and drivers have firm laws they are supposed to respect, but sometimes they fail in those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully recover from, may have permanent consequences or in the most tragic cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight by your side so you do not need to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we begin working on your case right away, and will not let up until you win the best possible compensation you deserve. We have experienced with every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Grain Valley, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they deserve. Those Grain Valley, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, veteran and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Grain Valley, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial experience of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than two decades of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every detail of your claim. You can bank on an accomplished and knowledgeable bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site as soon as possible. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to obtain key evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also experienced injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry many passengers, there are almost always other passengers who want the same answers and financial recovery you seek. Eyewitness testimony is a essential part of proving your case.
- Obtain further evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, as well as important details such as how many miles the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and maintenance was performed on the bus. Several different factors give rise to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney will determine why the crash happened and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work with our network of Grain Valley, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will utilize our knowledge and expertise to make sure you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Grain Valley, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their responsibility to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our finely honed litigation skills to win you a full financial recovery for your damages.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We collect no attorneys fees until you get maximum compensation. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a disastrous bus accident, contact an expert and committed bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a part to play in operating a bus in a safe manner you will first need to find out the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who is liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Grain Valley, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that inexperienced drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver action. While the same study stated that only 4 percent of bus accidents were because of a severe offense such as the driver being intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus collisions had committed driving errors, for example, speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not required or complied with.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ mass and the intricacy of steering them, slippery roads or Grain Valley, MO construction areas can be particularly risky for bus riders. In some cases a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory bodies, but not close to as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or a mere 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors typically cannot keep pace with the number of inspections required. Some Grain Valley, MO bus companies do not properly repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are required to make sure that their drivers are correctly trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Poor lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the dangerous condition has been on the Grain Valley, MO street, the better chance you have of holding the negligent parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Grain Valley, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the issue but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not properly repair it.
Once your expert Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney determines the cause of your crash, they will be able to confirm who is liable for your injuries and how to proceed with delivering you maximum compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found liable in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to maintain their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not driving too many miles without a break. In despite of saying that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules in regards to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically required to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to stave off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely obeyed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound riders have stated that their driver was eating during the time of an accident, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making certain that Grain Valley, MO buses are properly inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident could be the result of a bus company either neglecting to conduct routine inspections or failing to fix a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are particularly susceptible to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident transpired.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to certify the safety of their products and immediately issue recalls if a product is found to be faulty. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to place the blame on somebody else, your Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure careless parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Grain Valley or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be disastrous because of the amount of people who could be injured and because they usually happen in metropolitan areas. While you can seek compensation from the Grain Valley, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in tort cases. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is crucial to call a Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at once after your accident. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck owing to negligence. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop the bus when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the Grain Valley, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the dangerous decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be sure that the devoted and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will hold them responsible.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto collision, there are often two or more drivers, and in some instances they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus crash where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and accomplished Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney will help you determine if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the kind of bus accident we most typically see in Grain Valley and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Grain Valley, MO may also be held accountable, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially poor or they did not conduct proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Grain Valley, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you get in a bus accident case will usually depend on the severity of your injuries and how they have impacted and will affect they have on your life. You may have received a mild concussion that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Grain Valley, MO and a week or two off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you are awarded a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We use our team of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you deserve, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you recover the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Grain Valley, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the immense anguish and disastrous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Grain Valley, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is compassionate, accomplished, straightforward and tenacious and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have gained over the past 20 years to secure you the maximum recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary case review.