Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Grandview, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Grandview, MO. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a catastrophic bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents hardly ever receive the same attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can oftentimes be similarly hazardous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Grandview, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and obey the rules. When they break that trust and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes lifelong effects for you or your family. Your Grandview, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make certain that you secure the full compensation that you deserve for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience defending the injured in Grandview and throughout Missouri and fighting back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held responsible for their careless behavior. Many Grandview, MO individuals have put their claims and their futures in our accomplished hands, and to date we have gotten them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help find justice in personal injury cases and help Grandview, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for pricey medical bills and also manage the emotional impact of your injury just because someone else did not respect the rules. If you or a family member has been injured in a Grandview, MO bus accident, reach out to the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We start working on your claim straight away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are owed.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Grandview, MO because of someone else's thoughtless actions, find out how much your claim may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Grandview, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially vulnerable. After all, you were not the driver and you got on the bus presuming that the correct safety measures were followed. Grandview, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they are supposed to adhere to, but sometimes they neglect those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly heal from, may have permanent effects or in the worst cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Grandview, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we begin working on your case right away, and work tirelessly until you receive the maximum compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Grandview, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they deserve. Those Grandview, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, veteran and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are convoluted and can be unforgiving to Grandview, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over two decades standing up to bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Grandview, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every facet of your case. You can bank on a seasoned and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to obtain key evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also experienced injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are generally many passengers who want the same answers and financial recovery you seek. Eyewitness testimony is a important part of proving your case.
- Collect additional evidence such as tire marks, security footage, police reports, in additional to key details such as how long the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. Several different factors give rise to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Grandview, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held responsible.
- Work alongside our network of Grandview, MO accident and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and assess precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will utilize our knowledge and expertise to make sure you recover it.
- Fight back against resistant Grandview, MO insurance companies who are more interested in their profits than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your claim. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed whole time. We take control of all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you get full compensation. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a catastrophic bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a part to play in running a bus safely you will first need to find out the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Grandview, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out what entity is responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Grandview, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver action. While the same study stated that only 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a serious offense such as drunk driving, another study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus accidents had been cited with driving errors, for example, speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A good deal of bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or complied with.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ mass and the awkwardness of driving them, icy roads or Grandview, MO construction areas can be particularly risky for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you understand if that is true in your case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of over 765,000 motor carriers, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews often cannot stay ahead of the amount of inspections needed. Some Grandview, MO bus companies do not adequately repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Furthermore, bus companies are mandated to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and are not overworked.
- Hazardous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few typical examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Grandview, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the liable parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Grandview, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to fix the condition but either did not do so soon enough or did not sufficiently repair it.
Once your skilled Grandview, MO bus accident attorney confirm the cause of your wreck, they will be able to confirm who is responsible for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward winning you full compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their riders to maintain their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not driving too many hours without a break. Despite saying that safety is their highest priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically mandated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to inhibit fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often obeyed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound passengers have reported that their driver was eating during the time of an accident, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Grandview, MO buses are adequately inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident may be a consequence of a bus company either failing to conduct routine inspections or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are especially vulnerable to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies need to be prudent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Grandview, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck occurred.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a responsibility to confirm the safety of their vehicles and immediately announce recalls if a product is discovered to be defective. If they approve an inherently defective design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning correctly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to shift the blame to somebody else, your Grandview, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure reckless parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Grandview or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be ruinous because of the amount of people involved and because they typically take place in densely populated areas. While you can seek compensation from the Grandview, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in tort cases. If you want to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is vital to call a Grandview, MO bus accident attorney immediately after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck through driving mistakes. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or texting, did not pull over when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Grandview, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility seriously and causes you injury, you can be certain that the devoted and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle crash, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were injured in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and accomplished Grandview, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the type of bus crash we most commonly see in Grandview and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is at fault, a school district in Grandview, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were especially poor or they did not conduct sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Grandview, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you collect in a bus accident case will generally be based on the gravity of your injuries and how they have impacted and will impact they have on your life. You may have received a sprained wrist that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Grandview, MO and a week or two off work. Or, you may have sustained a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Grandview, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you secure a full financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We use our network of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you deserve, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Grandview, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you receive full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Grandview, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the immense pain and ruinous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Grandview, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, trustworthy and relentless and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have acquired over the past two decades to win you the full recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary consultation.