Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Marshall, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Marshall, MO. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a destructive bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get the same attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can frequently be similarly dangerous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Marshall, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and respect the rules. When they eschew their duty and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent outcomes for you or your loved ones. Your Marshall, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you collect the best possible compensation that you deserve for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience defending the injured in Marshall and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like dishonest insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held responsible for their reckless behavior. Our Marshall, MO clients have put their cases and their futures in our capable hands, and to date we have collected for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Marshall, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for sky-high medical bills and also deal with the emotional toll of your injury just because someone else disregarded the rules. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Marshall, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We start working on your case right away, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Marshall, MO because of someone else's careless behavior, find out how much your damages may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Marshall, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially unprotected. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on the bus supposing that the appropriate safety protocols were adhered to. Marshall, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they have a duty to adhere to, but sometimes they fail in those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully recover from, may have permanent effects or in the most terrible cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Marshall, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand in your corner so you are not required to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we start investigating on your case straight away, and work relentlessly until you win the maximum compensation you are owed. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Marshall, MO individuals and families into accepting less compensation than they are owed. Those Marshall, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, experienced and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Marshall, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over two decades fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Marshall, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every aspect of your case. You can bank on a seasoned and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site as soon as possible. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to secure essential evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also experienced injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are generally other people who want the same answers and compensation you need. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, as well as important details such as how long the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and repairs were conducted on the bus. A lot of different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Marshall, MO bus accident attorney will determine the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held liable.
- Work alongside our network of Marshall, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will use our experience and expertise to make sure you collect it.
- Stand up to resistant Marshall, MO insurance companies who are more interested in their profits than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and avoid their responsibility to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed whole time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a family member has been harmed in a catastrophic bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a role to play in operating a bus safely you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Marshall, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Marshall, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that beginner drivers under the age of 25, as well as more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver behavior. While the same study reported that only 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a grave offense such as driving while intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus accidents had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A large portion of bus drivers, especially those that drive for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become sleepy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not required or obeyed.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ weight and the difficulty of driving them, slippery roads or Marshall, MO construction areas can be particularly risky for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you decide if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 personnel responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews typically cannot keep pace with the number of inspections required. Some Marshall, MO bus companies do not adequately repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are obligated to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and do not drive too many hours without a break.
- Hazardous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can result in a driver losing control and crashing. A Few typical examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Marshall, MO street, the better chance you have of holding the at-fault parties accountable. The negligent party may be a local Marshall, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to eliminate the issue but either did not do so quickly enough or did not adequately repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Marshall, MO bus accident attorney determines the cause of your wreck, they will be able to ascertain who is liable for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward securing you the best possible compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found negligent in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to maintain their safety. Part of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite saying that safety is their utmost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not following its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are technically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to hold off fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not followed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound passengers have reported that their driver was eating when the accident happened, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making sure that Marshall, MO buses are adequately inspected and maintained and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's duty. A bus accident may be the result of a bus company either failing to conduct routine maintenance or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are especially at risk of breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies need to be diligent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Marshall, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident took place.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to verify the safety of their products and swiftly issue recalls in the event of a malfunctioning product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they may attempt to place the blame on somebody else, your Marshall, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure liable parties are held accountable for their behavior.
The Marshall or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be disastrous because of the number of people who could be injured and because they frequently take place in densely populated areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Marshall, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability cases. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is imperative to reach out to a Marshall, MO bus accident attorney right away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause an accident owing to driving mistakes. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop the bus when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Marshall, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your well-being and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility to heart and causes you injury, you can be certain that the committed and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle accident, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can harm you. If you were injured in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and veteran Marshall, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Marshall and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is at fault, a school district in Marshall, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly poor or they did not conduct proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Marshall, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will usually be based on the gravity of your injuries and how they have affected and will affect they have on your life. You may have gotten a sprained wrist that only needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Marshall, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Marshall, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you secure a full financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work alongside our team of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Marshall, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you collect the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Marshall, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the immense anguish and catastrophic effect it can have on your and the people you care about. Your Marshall, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, trustworthy and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past 20 years to get you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary case evaluation.