Bus Accident Attorney in Maryville, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Maryville, MO. If you or a family member has been harmed in a destructive bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely ever receive equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can often be equally as harmful and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Maryville, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and follow the rules. When they eschew their responsibilities and do not respect the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes permanent outcomes for you or the people you care about. Your Maryville, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you collect the full compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Maryville and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who selfishly do not want to be held responsible for their reckless behavior. Our Maryville, MO clients have put their cases and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have secured for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, devotion, resolution, knowledge and experience to help find justice in personal injury cases and help Maryville, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose wages, pay for ridiculous medical bills and also manage the emotional trauma of your injury only because another person broke the rules. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a Maryville, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at or contact us online for a free case review. We get started on your case straight away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the compensation you deserve.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Maryville, MO because of another person's reckless behavior, learn how much your injury may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
Do I Need a Maryville, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on board the bus assuming that the adequate safety measures were obeyed. Maryville, MO bus companies and drivers have firm regulations they have a duty to adhere to, but sometimes they neglect those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully heal from, may have permanent consequences or in the most terrible cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Maryville, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not need to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case at once, and work tirelessly until you receive the maximum compensation you deserve. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Maryville, MO individuals and families into settling for a lower recovery than they deserve. Those Maryville, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, seasoned and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complex and can be unforgiving to Maryville, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial experience of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over two decades standing up to bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Maryville, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every aspect of your claim. You can anticipate a seasoned and knowledgeable bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to acquire essential evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also sustained injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry a variety of passengers, there are often many people who want the same answers and financial recovery you seek. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to help in your case.
- Collect additional evidence such as tire marks, security videos, police reports, as well as important details such as how long the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and repairs were conducted on the bus. Several different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Maryville, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held accountable.
- Utilize our network of Maryville, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will implement our know-how and expertise to make sure you receive it.
- Fight back against resistant Maryville, MO insurance companies who care more about their bottom line than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their duty to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to secure you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be by your side the whole time. We take control of all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until you are fully compensated. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a disastrous bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it requires so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Maryville, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out who needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Maryville, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that beginner drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver behavior. While the same study stated that only 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a grave offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had committed driving errors, for example, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A good deal of bus drivers, particularly the ones that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or obeyed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ size and the difficulty of driving them, slippery roads or Maryville, MO construction areas can be particularly dangerous for bus riders. In some cases a third party such as a construction company is liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you discover if that is true in your case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but not nearly as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of over 765,000 trucks and buses, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews frequently cannot keep pace with the amount of inspections required. Some Maryville, MO bus companies do not correctly inspect their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Additionally, bus companies are obligated to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Dangerous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and crashing. Some common examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Maryville, MO road, the better your chances of holding the at-fault parties responsible. The liable party may be a local Maryville, MO government, or a third party whom the government contracted to eliminate the issue but either did not do so quickly enough or did not correctly repair it.
Once your expert Maryville, MO bus accident attorney deduces the reasons behind your accident, they will be able to ascertain who is at-fault for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward securing you full compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found negligent in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their patrons to maintain their safety. One facet of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of saying that safety is their utmost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules concerning driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to prevent fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often followed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were due to driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound passengers have said that their driver was eating when the accident happened, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Maryville, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident might be because of a bus company either failing to conduct routine maintenance or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are especially susceptible to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be vigilant in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Maryville, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to confirm the safety of their vehicles and swiftly issue recalls if a product is discovered to be hazardous. If they approve an inherently defective design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to place the blame on somebody else, your Maryville, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure reckless parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Maryville or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be ruinous because of the number of people involved and because they frequently transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can make a claim against the Maryville, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in tort cases. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is essential to reach out to a Maryville, MO bus accident attorney straight away after your accident. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at .
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause an accident through recklessness. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop driving when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the Maryville, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the dangerous decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty to heart and causes you injury, you can be confident that the devoted and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle crash, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some instances they each may share a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were hurt in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and seasoned Maryville, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the category of bus crash we most typically see in Maryville and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus wrecks. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Maryville, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially dangerous or they did not perform sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Maryville, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you recover in a bus accident case will typically be based on the gravity of your injuries and how they have impacted and will impact they have on your life. You may have received a mild concussion that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Maryville, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Maryville, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you receive a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work alongside our team of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you deserve, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Maryville, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you recover the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
Call Our Maryville, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every type of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and your family. Your Maryville, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is compassionate, accomplished, straightforward and relentless and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have obtained over the past 20 years to secure you the maximum recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at or fill out our online form for a free consultation.