Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Nevada, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Nevada, MO. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a devastating bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can oftentimes be similarly dangerous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Nevada, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and follow the rules. When they break that trust and break the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes permanent effects for you or your loved ones. Your Nevada, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you collect the full compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience defending the injured in Nevada and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like dishonest insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held responsible for their careless behavior. Many Nevada, MO individuals have put their claims and their futures in our knowledgeable hands, and to date we have secured for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, persistence, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Nevada, MO residents heal. You should not have to lose work, pay for sky-high medical costs and also manage the emotional shock of your injury just because somebody else disregarded the rules. If you or a family member has been harmed in a Nevada, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We get started on your case right away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Nevada, MO because of somebody else's reckless behavior, learn how much your damages may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Nevada, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have sustained injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially unshielded. After all, you were not the driver and you got on the bus presuming that the correct safety arrangements were followed. Nevada, MO bus companies and drivers have firm rules they have a duty to respect, but sometimes they fail in those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully recover from, may have permanent consequences or in the most tragic instances can even lead to wrongful death. The Nevada, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight by your side so you do not need to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case right away, and will not let up until you win the maximum compensation you are entitled to. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Nevada, MO individuals and families into accepting less compensation than they deserve. Those Nevada, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, veteran and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is complicated and can be difficult to comprehend for Nevada, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial skills of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than two decades of experience standing up to bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Nevada, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every facet of your case. You can bank on an accomplished and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to secure essential evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also sustained injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are almost always many people who want the same answers and financial recovery you do. Eyewitness testimony is a vital part of winning your case.
- Collect further evidence such as tire marks, security footage, police reports, as well as key details such as how far the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and maintenance was conducted on the bus. Several different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Nevada, MO bus accident attorney will discover why the crash happened and who needs to be held responsible.
- Work with our network of Nevada, MO auto wreck and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will use our knowledge and expertise to ensure you receive it.
- Fight back against resistant Nevada, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their profits than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your claim. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be by your side the entire time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a family member has been harmed in a devastating bus accident, contact an expert and committed bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a role to play in running a bus in a safe manner you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Nevada, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every variety of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Nevada, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver error. While the same study stated that only 4 percent of bus accidents were caused by a serious offense such as drunk driving, a different study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had committed driving errors, for instance, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A good deal of bus drivers, especially those that drive for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or followed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ size and the intricacy of maneuvering them, slippery roads or Nevada, MO construction areas can be especially hazardous for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you decide if that is true in your case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but not nearly as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 personnel responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 trucks and buses, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews generally cannot stay ahead of the number of inspections needed. Some Nevada, MO bus companies do not adequately repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are obligated to make certain that their drivers are adequately trained and do not drive too many hours without a break.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. Some typical examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Defective or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Poor lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Nevada, MO street, the better your odds of holding the at-fault parties responsible. The liable party may be a local Nevada, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to eliminate the condition but either did not do so quickly enough or did not sufficiently repair it.
Once your accomplished Nevada, MO bus accident attorney establishes the reasons behind your wreck, they will be able to ascertain who is liable for your injuries and how to proceed with winning you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found liable in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to maintain their safety. One facet of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not driving too many hours in a day. Despite insisting that safety is their principal priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not following its own rules in regards to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely obeyed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound customers have reported that their driver was eating when the accident occurred, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making certain that Nevada, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident could be because of a bus company either failing to conduct routine maintenance or failing to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly vulnerable to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be vigilant in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be sufficiently licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Nevada, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash took place.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to verify the safety of their vehicles and quickly issue recalls if a product is discovered to be hazardous. If they approve an inherently defective design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to place the blame on someone else, your Nevada, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure careless parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Nevada or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be disastrous because of the amount of people involved and because they frequently happen in densely populated areas. While you can seek compensation from the Nevada, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury claims. If you want to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is essential to call a Nevada, MO bus accident attorney right away after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck due to negligence. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not pull over when they were feeling drowsy, did not pay attention to the Nevada, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the dangerous decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty to heart and causes you injury, you can be sure that the dedicated and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle wreck, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some instances they each may shoulder a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus crash where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and experienced Nevada, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Nevada and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Nevada, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly bad or they did not carry out sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Nevada, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will generally be based on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have impacted and will impact they have on your life. You may have sustained a sprained wrist that just required a quick trip to an emergency room in Nevada, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have sustained a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Nevada, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you are awarded a full financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We use our network of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Nevada, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you get the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Nevada, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every type of bus accident case and know the tremendous anguish and catastrophic effect it can have on your and your family. Your Nevada, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, honest and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have gained over the past 20 years to get you the the best possible recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case review.