Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Old Jamestown, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Old Jamestown, MO. If you or a family member has been hurt in a disastrous bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never receive equal attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can oftentimes be similarly hazardous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Old Jamestown, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and respect the rules. When they eschew their duty and break the rules it can have terrible, sometimes lifelong effects for you or your family. Your Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you recover the best possible compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Old Jamestown and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to take responsibility for their careless behavior. Many Old Jamestown, MO individuals have put their cases and their futures in our accomplished hands, and in total we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, devotion, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Old Jamestown, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for extortionate medical costs and also work through the emotional shock of your injury just because somebody else broke the rules. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Old Jamestown, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We get started on your claim at once, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are entitled to.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Old Jamestown, MO because of another person's negligent actions, discover how much your damages may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Old Jamestown, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the one driving and you boarded the bus under the assumption that the correct safety protocols were followed. Old Jamestown, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they are supposed to follow, but sometimes they neglect those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really recover from, may have lifelong consequences or in the worst cases can even result in wrongful death. The Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand in your corner so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case right away, and work tirelessly until you receive the full compensation you are owed. We have seen every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Old Jamestown, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they are owed. Those Old Jamestown, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the complicated cases. Call us today and let the passionate, seasoned and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are convoluted and can be difficult to comprehend for Old Jamestown, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than 20 years of experience standing up to bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney team, we handle every detail of your claim. You can expect an accomplished and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to obtain key evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were close by. As buses carry multiple passengers, there are often a lot of people who want the same answers and compensation you need. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Obtain additional evidence such as tire marks, security footage, police reports, as well as key details such as how far the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and maintenance was done on the bus. Several different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney will determine why the crash happened and who needs to be held responsible.
- Work with our network of Old Jamestown, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and compute precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will use our savvy and expertise to make sure you recover it.
- Fight back against resistant Old Jamestown, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their responsibility to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those ploys will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed whole time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you get maximum compensation. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a ruinous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it takes so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to discover the cause of the accident before determining who caused your injuries. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Old Jamestown, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident took place.
- Driver action. While the same study reported that just 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a serious offense such as drunk driving, a different study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus collisions had been cited with driving errors, for example, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A large portion of bus drivers, especially the ones that drive for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not required or obeyed.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ size and the difficulty of driving them, slick roads or Old Jamestown, MO construction areas can be especially hazardous for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you understand if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory bodies, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 motor carriers, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews frequently cannot keep up with the amount of inspections needed. Some Old Jamestown, MO bus companies do not adequately inspect their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Furthermore, bus companies are obligated to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. Some common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Poor lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Old Jamestown, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the liable parties accountable. The at-fault party may be a local Old Jamestown, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to fix the issue but either did not do so quickly enough or did not properly repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney deduces the cause of your accident, they will be able to determine who is at-fault for your injuries and how to proceed with winning you a full financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are often found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their passengers to look out for their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of saying that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to prevent drowsiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely followed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were due to driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound riders have reported that their driver was eating when the crash occurred, which is an example of distracted driving.
Ensuring that Old Jamestown, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's responsibility. A bus accident could be because of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine inspections or failing to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly predisposed to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies need to be diligent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be properly licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to ensure the safety of their vehicles and quickly announce recalls in the event of a faulty product. If they approve an inherently faulty design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to place the blame on someone else, your Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure reckless parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Old Jamestown or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be ruinous because of the number of people who could be injured and because they frequently transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Old Jamestown, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability cases. If you want to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is urgent to contact a Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at once after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck through negligence. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not pull over when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Old Jamestown, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the dangerous decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you ascend a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty seriously and causes you injury, you can be confident that the dedicated and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto collision, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and experienced Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney will help you confirm if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Old Jamestown and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Old Jamestown, MO may also be held accountable, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly bad or they did not perform adequate background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Old Jamestown, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you collect in a bus accident case will usually be based on the severity of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have received a sprained wrist that just required a quick trip to an emergency room in Old Jamestown, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have experienced a disastrous spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you receive a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work alongside our network of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you get the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Old Jamestown, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every category of bus accident case and know the incalculable anguish and calamitous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Old Jamestown, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, straightforward and determined and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past two decades to secure you the the best possible recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.