Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Peculiar, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Peculiar, MO. If you or a family member has been hurt in a catastrophic bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can often be similarly dangerous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Peculiar, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and obey the rules. When they break that trust and disregard the rules it can have devastating, sometimes permanent outcomes for you or your loved ones. Your Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you receive the best possible compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Peculiar and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held accountable for their careless behavior. Many Peculiar, MO families have put their cases and their futures in our knowledgeable hands, and to date we have recovered for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, commitment, persistence, knowledge and experience to help find justice in personal injury cases and help Peculiar, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose wages, pay for sky-high medical costs and also deal with the emotional trauma of your injury just because somebody else did not respect the rules. If you or a family member has been harmed in a Peculiar, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free consultation. We get started on your case right away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Peculiar, MO because of another person's careless actions, learn how much your claim may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Peculiar, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are probably feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the driver and you got on board the bus assuming that the proper safety protocols were obeyed. Peculiar, MO bus companies and drivers have firm laws they have a responsibility to adhere to, but sometimes they fail in those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully recover from, may have permanent effects or in the most terrible cases can even cause wrongful death. The Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand in your corner so you do not have to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we start investigating on your case at once, and work tirelessly until you receive the best possible compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Peculiar, MO individuals and families into settling for less compensation than they are owed. Those Peculiar, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, veteran and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are convoluted and can be unforgiving to Peculiar, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial skills of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney team, we handle every facet of your claim. You can bank on an accomplished and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to acquire vital evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also received injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry many passengers, there are typically other people who want the same answers and financial recovery you need. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, in additional to key details such as how many miles the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was performed on the bus. Several different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney will discover the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held responsible.
- Work with our network of Peculiar, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will implement our savvy and expertise to make certain you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Peculiar, MO insurance companies who are more interested in their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your damages. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our finely honed litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be by your side the whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you get maximum compensation. If you or someone you care about has been harmed in a ruinous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a part to play in operating a bus in a safe manner you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every variety of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who is responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Peculiar, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver error. While the same study reported that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a severe offense such as drunk driving, a different study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus collisions had been cited with driving errors, such as speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A large portion of bus drivers, especially the ones that work for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or complied with.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ mass and the intricacy of driving them, slick roads or Peculiar, MO construction areas can be especially dangerous for bus commuters. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company is at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you understand if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors frequently cannot keep up with the amount of inspections needed. Some Peculiar, MO bus companies do not properly maintain their vehicles, causing them to be dangerous. Furthermore, bus companies are mandated to make sure that their drivers are sufficiently trained and are not overworked.
- Hazardous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and causing an accident. A Few common examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Defective or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Peculiar, MO road, the better your odds of holding the negligent parties accountable. The liable party may be a local Peculiar, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the issue but either did not do so quickly enough or did not properly repair it.
Once your skilled Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney determines the reasons for your wreck, they will be able to establish who is responsible for your injuries and how to go forward with getting you the best possible compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are often found negligent in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not driving too many hours without a break. Despite saying that safety is their utmost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules in regards to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to prevent sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely obeyed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were due to driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound passengers have said that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Peculiar, MO buses are adequately inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident may be the result of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine inspections or failing to fix a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are particularly prone to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident took place.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to ensure the safety of their products and swiftly announce recalls if a product is found to be faulty. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they might try to shift the blame to someone else, your Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure reckless parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Peculiar or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be disastrous because of the number of people who could be injured and because they often transpire in densely populated areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Peculiar, MO government, there are specific procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability suits. If you seek to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is imperative to get in touch with a Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney straight away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash because of negligence. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop the bus when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Peculiar, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty seriously and causes you injury, you can be sure that the committed and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will hold them responsible.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle collision, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some instances they each may be responsible for a portion of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were harmed in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and accomplished Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Peculiar and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus wrecks. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Peculiar, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly poor or they did not carry out adequate background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Peculiar, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you get in a bus accident case will usually be based on the gravity of your injuries and the consequences they have on your life. You may have gotten a mild concussion that only required a quick trip to an emergency room in Peculiar, MO and a week or two off work. Or, you may have sustained a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you collect a maximum financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work with our team of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you are awarded the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Peculiar, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the immense pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Peculiar, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is compassionate, accomplished, straightforward and determined and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have acquired over the past two decades to get you the maximum recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary case evaluation.