Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Republic, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Republic, MO. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a destructive bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never get equal attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can frequently be just as harmful and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Republic, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and obey the rules. When they break that trust and disregard the rules it can have devastating, sometimes permanent consequences for you or your family. Your Republic, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make certain that you recover the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than two decades of experience defending the injured in Republic and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to take responsibility for their careless behavior. Many Republic, MO families have put their claims and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and to date we have secured for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, commitment, relentlessness, knowledge and experience to help secure justice in personal injury cases and help Republic, MO residents heal. You should not have to lose work, pay for pricey medical bills and also work through the emotional shock of your injury only because another person disregarded the rules. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a Republic, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We get started on your claim at once, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the compensation you deserve.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Republic, MO because of somebody else's thoughtless actions, learn how much your injury may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Republic, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially vulnerable. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on board the bus under the impression that that the proper safety protocols were obeyed. Republic, MO bus companies and drivers have firm rules they are supposed to follow, but sometimes they fail in those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is often exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really recover from, may have lifelong consequences or in the worst cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Republic, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case right away, and work relentlessly until you receive the best possible compensation you are owed. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Republic, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they deserve. Those Republic, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the passionate, accomplished and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is convoluted and can be difficult to comprehend for Republic, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than 20 years of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Republic, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every detail of your case. You can anticipate an accomplished and skilled bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to acquire key evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also received injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are generally a lot of passengers who want the same answers and compensation you do. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Acquire further evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, and key details such as how many miles the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was done on the bus. Many different factors cause bus accidents, and your Burger Law Republic, MO bus accident attorney will discover the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work alongside our network of Republic, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and compute exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will use our savvy and expertise to ensure you receive it.
- Fight back against resistant Republic, MO insurance companies who care more about their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your injuries. When you hire us, you can be sure those ploys will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a full financial recovery for your damages.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner entire time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you are fully compensated. If you or a family member has been harmed in a disastrous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it necessitates so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who caused your injuries. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Republic, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out who is responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Republic, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that recently licensed drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver behavior. While the same study reported that just 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a severe offense such as driving while intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus wrecks had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, especially those that drive for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not required or followed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ size and the awkwardness of driving them, icy roads or Republic, MO construction areas can be especially risky for bus riders. In some cases a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you decide if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but not close to as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of more than 765,000 motor carriers, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors generally cannot keep pace with the number of inspections needed. Some Republic, MO bus companies do not properly repair their vehicles, causing them to be dangerous. Furthermore, bus companies are required to ensure that their drivers are sufficiently trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Hazardous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few typical examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the Republic, MO street, the better your odds of holding the at-fault parties accountable. The at-fault party may be a local Republic, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to eliminate the problem but either did not do so quickly enough or did not adequately repair it.
Once your expert Republic, MO bus accident attorney deduces the reasons for your wreck, they will be able to ascertain who is at-fault for your injuries and how to proceed with securing you maximum compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are typically found liable in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not driving too many miles in a day. Despite saying that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules concerning driver fatigue. Drivers are technically required to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often followed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were because of driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound customers have reported that their driver was eating when the crash occurred, which constitutes distracted driving.
Ensuring that Republic, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and maintained and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's duty. A bus accident could be because of a bus company either failing to provide routine maintenance or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are especially predisposed to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be sufficiently licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Republic, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash occurred.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a responsibility to verify the safety of their products and swiftly issue recalls in the event of a malfunctioning product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may attempt to shift the blame to somebody else, your Republic, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure at-fault parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Republic or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be disastrous because of the amount of people involved and because they usually transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can file a suit against the Republic, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury suits. If you want to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is imperative to reach out to a Republic, MO bus accident attorney immediately after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck owing to negligence. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Republic, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the dangerous decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be sure that the devoted and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto accident, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may be responsible for a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were hurt in a bus crash where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and experienced Republic, MO bus accident attorney will help you confirm if they are at fault and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Republic and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is at fault, a school district in Republic, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly bad or they did not carry out adequate background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Republic, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you recover in a bus accident case will generally depend on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have impacted and will impact they have on your life. You may have gotten a mild concussion that only needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Republic, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Republic, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you receive a full financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work with our team of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Republic, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Republic, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every type of bus accident case and know the incalculable pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Republic, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, honest and tenacious and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have obtained over the past two decades to get you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case review.