Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Trenton, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Trenton, MO. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a destructive bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents hardly ever get the same attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can frequently be similarly dangerous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Trenton, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and respect the rules. When they eschew their duty and disregard the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes lifelong consequences for you or your loved ones. Your Trenton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you receive the best possible compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Trenton and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held responsible for their reckless behavior. Our Trenton, MO clients have put their claims and their futures in our capable hands, and to date we have recovered for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, commitment, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Trenton, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose wages, pay for sky-high medical bills and also manage the emotional scars of your injury just because someone else disregarded the rules. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Trenton, MO bus accident, reach out to the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation. We get started on your claim right away, and we do not charge any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are owed.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Trenton, MO because of somebody else's negligent actions, discover how much your injury may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Trenton, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, you are probably feeling especially unshielded. After all, you were not the driver and you boarded the bus under the impression that that the proper safety arrangements were adhered to. Trenton, MO bus companies and drivers have strict regulations they are supposed to follow, but sometimes they fail in those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is often caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly heal from, may have permanent consequences or in the worst cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Trenton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not have to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we start working on your case at once, and work tirelessly until you receive the best possible compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Trenton, MO individuals and families into accepting a lower recovery than they deserve. Those Trenton, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, accomplished and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Trenton, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over two decades standing up to bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Trenton, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every aspect of your claim. You can expect an accomplished and skilled bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to acquire key evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also experienced injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry multiple passengers, there are often many passengers who want the same answers and compensation you need. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, as well as key details such as how long the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was conducted on the bus. Many different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Trenton, MO bus accident attorney will discover the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held liable.
- Work alongside our network of Trenton, MO auto wreck and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will implement our experience and expertise to make sure you collect it.
- Stand up to resistant Trenton, MO insurance companies who are more interested in their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your claim. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to secure you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner entire time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you are fairly compensated. If you or someone you care about has been harmed in a devastating bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since it requires so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who was negligent. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Trenton, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover who is liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Trenton, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver behavior. While the same study stated that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were due to an egregious offense such as driving while intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly those that drive for commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or complied with.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ size and the awkwardness of steering them, slick roads or Trenton, MO construction areas can be especially dangerous for bus riders. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for reviews for over 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews generally cannot keep up with the quantity of inspections required. Some Trenton, MO bus companies do not adequately maintain their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Furthermore, bus companies are required to make certain that their drivers are adequately trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Hazardous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and crashing. A Few typical examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, such as branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the Trenton, MO street, the better your odds of holding the liable parties accountable. The negligent party may be a local Trenton, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the problem but either did not do so quickly enough or did not properly repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Trenton, MO bus accident attorney ascertains the cause of your accident, they will be able to ascertain who is at-fault for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward winning you a full financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to maintain their safety. One facet of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite saying that safety is their foremost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules concerning driver fatigue. Drivers are technically mandated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to prevent fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely followed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were because of driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound riders have reported that their driver was eating during the time of an accident, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making certain that Trenton, MO buses are correctly inspected and maintained and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident might be the result of a bus company either neglecting to provide routine inspections or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly at risk of breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be sufficiently licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Trenton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to confirm the safety of their products and immediately issue recalls if a product is discovered to be faulty. If they approve an inherently flawed design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to shift the blame to somebody else, your Trenton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure liable parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Trenton or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be disastrous because of the amount of people who could be injured and because they often happen in metropolitan areas. While you can make a claim against the Trenton, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury suits. If you want to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is essential to call a Trenton, MO bus accident attorney right away after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck due to driving mistakes. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop the bus when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Trenton, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your well-being and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility seriously and causes you injury, you can be confident that the dedicated and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle wreck, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may shoulder a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were harmed in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and seasoned Trenton, MO bus accident attorney will help you confirm if they are liable and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Trenton and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Trenton, MO may also be held accountable, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly dangerous or they did not perform proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Trenton, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you get in a bus accident case will typically be based on the severity of your injuries and how they have affected and will impact they have on your life. You may have sustained a mild concussion that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Trenton, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Trenton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you receive a full financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work alongside our team of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Trenton, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you recover full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Trenton, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the incalculable anguish and devastating effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Trenton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, honest and determined and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past two decades to win you the the best possible recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free consultation.