Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Union, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Union, MO. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a destructive bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely ever get equal attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can oftentimes be just as harmful and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Union, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and obey the rules. When they eschew their duty and break the rules it can have devastating, sometimes lifelong consequences for you or your loved ones. Your Union, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make certain that you collect the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than two decades of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Union and throughout Missouri and fighting back against bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held responsible for their reckless behavior. Our Union, MO clients have put their cases and their futures in our accomplished hands, and in total we have recovered for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, devotion, relentlessness, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Union, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose work, pay for extortionate medical costs and also handle the emotional toll of your injury only because somebody else disregarded the rules. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a Union, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We get started on your case straight away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the compensation you are entitled to.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Union, MO because of another person's thoughtless actions, learn how much your injury may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Union, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially unprotected. After all, you were not the one driving and you boarded the bus supposing that the adequate safety arrangements were followed. Union, MO bus companies and drivers have firm regulations they have a duty to follow, but sometimes they fail in those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is generally caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really recover from, may have lifelong effects or in the worst instances can even lead to wrongful death. The Union, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not need to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case right away, and will not let up until you get the maximum compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Union, MO individuals and families into settling for less money than they deserve. Those Union, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the passionate, experienced and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are convoluted and can be difficult to comprehend for Union, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Union, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every facet of your case. You can bank on a veteran and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to secure vital evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also received injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry multiple passengers, there are typically a lot of people who want the same answers and compensation you seek. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, and key details such as how many miles the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. Many different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Union, MO bus accident attorney will determine why the crash happened and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work alongside our network of Union, MO crash and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and calculate precisely how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will utilize our knowledge and expertise to ensure you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Union, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your claim. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to secure you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed entire time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you get full compensation. If you or a family member has been harmed in a ruinous bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it requires so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Union, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine what entity is liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Union, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that recently licensed drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver action. While the same study stated that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were because of a serious offense such as drunk driving, another study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had been cited with driving errors, for example, speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A good deal of bus drivers, particularly those that drive for commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those regulations are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or complied with.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ mass and the intricacy of steering them, icy roads or Union, MO construction areas can be particularly hazardous for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you understand if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 motor carriers, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews generally cannot keep up with the number of inspections required. Some Union, MO bus companies do not properly maintain their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Furthermore, bus companies are mandated to make certain that their drivers are correctly trained and are not overworked.
- Hazardous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and causing an accident. Some typical examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Union, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the liable parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Union, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the condition but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not properly repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Union, MO bus accident attorney ascertains the reasons behind your accident, they will be able to determine who is liable for your injuries and how to proceed with winning you a maximum financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are often found negligent in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their riders to maintain their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not driving too many miles without a break. In despite of saying that safety is their foremost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to hold off drowsiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not followed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound customers have said that their driver was eating when the crash happened, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Union, MO buses are correctly inspected and repaired and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident may be the result of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine inspections or failing to repair a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are especially predisposed to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies need to be vigilant in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Union, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a responsibility to confirm the safety of their products and quickly announce recalls in the event of a faulty product. If they approve an inherently flawed design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to place the blame on someone else, your Union, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure liable parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Union or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be ruinous because of the amount of people involved and because they often occur in metropolitan areas. While you can file a suit against the Union, MO government, there are specific procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury claims. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is crucial to get in touch with a Union, MO bus accident attorney at once after your injury. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause an accident because of driver error. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or texting, did not pull over when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Union, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation to heart and causes you injury, you can be confident that the dedicated and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle collision, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may bear a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and veteran Union, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are responsible and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Union and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Union, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were particularly dangerous or they did not conduct sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Union, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will typically depend on the severity of your injuries and how they have impacted and will impact they have on your life. You may have gotten a sprained ankle that just required a quick trip to an emergency room in Union, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Union, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you are awarded a fair financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work alongside our network of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Union, MO bus accident attorney team will fight aggressively to ensure that you recover the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Union, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every type of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and devastating effect it can have on your and your family. Your Union, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, straightforward and tenacious and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have gained over the past two decades to win you the maximum recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary case review.