Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents. Slip and fall accidents can occur in the workplace, at home, or in public for a variety of reasons. In 2019, over 8 millions people were treated in emergency rooms for injuries sustained in a fall, and falls account for 85% of worker compensation claims. If you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall accident, call us today and our team of slip and fall attorneys will get you the compensation you deserve to aid you in your recovery.
It’s important to know what causes slip and fall accidents in order to avoid them. Below are some of the most common causes:
- Weather: While weather is impossible to control, property owners have a responsibility to make sure their property stays safe, including shoveling sidewalks or salting icy walkways in the winter.
- Wet Surfaces: Floors can become wet for a variety of reasons. A spill, freshly mopped areas, slippery cleaning products, or people tracking in water under their shoes from rain, snow, or sleet, or ice outside.
- Broken, Damaged, or Poorly Constructed Buildings: Broken handrails, loose floorboards, steep walkways, holes in the floor, potholes, and uneven sidewalks could all cause a person to slip or trip and fall and become hurt.
- Stray Cords and Wires: Whether inside or on the sidewalk, loose and unorganized wiring can cause someone to trip.
- Poor Lighting: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires every public space, including workplaces and stores, to be well-lit. Property owners need to make sure that stairways and walkways are properly illuminated. Not being able to see where you are going could cause you to slip and fall.
- Poor Training or Faulty Equipment: In many places of work, especially at construction sites, employees must be properly trained on how to move around the job site and operate certain equipment. In 2019, 880 workers died in falls, and over 244,000 were injured badly enough by falls to require taking days off work.
- Old Age: Humans lose their balance and mobility as they age. Unfortunately this causes many older adults to fall. If you live with or care for the elderly, you can fall-proof your home by clearing clutter from the floor, arranging furniture so there is plenty of room for walking, putting important items in easy to reach places, and placing grab bars in bathrooms.
- Improper Footwear: Shoes that do not fit correctly or are not adequate for the environment. Shoes need to have appropriate traction in order to be safe.
- Being Distracted: For example, using your phone or talking to people could cause you to not look where you’re going, to misstep, or to not observe warning signs.
- Running or “Goofing around”: Not moving around safely, especially in crowded areas or spaces with little walking room, can cause injury to yourself and others.
While it is best to avoid hazardous situations as best you can, sometimes accidents happen through no fault of your own. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident and believe you are owed compensation from a third party, our team of slip and fall lawyers at Burger Law will help you get the payment you deserve. Call us now at (314) 500-HURT or Contact us online