Dog Bite LawyerVienna, MO
Well-trained dogs should never bite or attack anyone. If you’ve been bitten, we can help.
We often forget how dangerous dogs can be. We have to remember that dogs are animals, and when they feel threatened or are poorly trained, they can be destructive. When a dog bites, even a little dog, it’s going to hurt. Their teeth are designed to do damage. When a dog bites you, you have legal recourse to make the situation right. But what are your rights?
Burger Law is a Personal Injury Law Firm in Vienna with extensive experience fighting for dog bite victims and making sure they get the full care and recovery they need. Your case is going to require expertise and a dedicated dog bite lawyer in Vienna to fight for you. Our team can guide you through your dog bite lawsuit and make sure that you get the full recovery you are owed, both physically and financially. If you have any question about our personal injury firm, or how our dog bite lawyers will handle your dog bite case, call our team at 314-648-8348 or 618-226-4811. We don’t charge any fees for our consultations, and we never ask for any attorneys fees unless we win your dog bite lawsuit.
Dog Bite Lawyer Vienna – Know Your Rights
Here are Missouri’s and Illinois’s laws detailing dog bites and dog bite lawsuits.
For Missouri, Statute 273.036 details liability in Dog Bite Lawsuits. For Missouri, the dog owner will be liable for the damages caused by the dog, minus the portion that the person bit is liable for the dog bite. To clarify, this means that if someone was teasing or provoking the dog, they will be partially liable for the damages caused to them. However, if the dog escaped the yard or leash, and the person bit took no actions to provoke the dog, then the pet owner will hold liability. This type of law is known as Comparative Negligence, which means that a person will be liable for the portion of the damages they either caused or were harmed by because of their failure to act in a reasonable way.
For Illinois, Statute 510 ILCS 5/16 details liability in Dog Bite Lawsuits. Illinois law is quite similar to Missouri’s. If the person had a legal right to be in the area they were in when they were bit, and they did not provoke the dog, the pet owner will be held fully liable. If the person bit did provoke the dog, and they were also trespassing, they will hold more of the liability for the accident.
So what should you take from these dog bite laws? If you weren’t trespassing, weren’t taunting the dog, and had no reason for the dog to attack you, you won’t be held to any liability for the attack. If you were taunting the dog and it attacked you, or if you were in an area you didn’t have the legal right to be in, you will be held liable as well. Never provoke a dog, it’s just not a smart nor safe thing to do.
What do I do after I’ve been bitten by a dog?
Dogs don’t really mind too much what they put in their mouths. Dogs will eat anything they can reach, and this means their mouths can be incredibly dirty. When you’ve been bitten by a dog, what should you immediately do following the attack?
You first have to determine whether you can tend to your injuries, or whether you are facing a medical emergency. If your injuries are extensive and you’re losing a great deal of blood, immediately call emergency services to get help. Call 911. They will be able to help you.
If you can perform first-aid on your wounds, what should you do? There are a few steps that you can immediately take to treat a dog bite wound so that doesn’t get worse or get infected.
- First – Applying pressure to the wound will cause it to bleed, but it will also cause any dirt or any other foreign debris to be pushed out of the wound. The wound needs to be cleared before you can clean it further.
- Second – Use soap and water to clean the wound thoroughly. Make sure to clean any dirt or other things around the wound as well.
- Third – Take a clean cloth and place it over the wound to stop the bleeding.
- Fourth – Antibiotics should now be applied to the wound to make sure all foreign bacteria is destroyed. It may still be painful to touch the wound, but applying the antibiotic is very important.
- Fifth – The wound should now be wrapped to make sure it stays as clean as possible. With the bleeding under control and the wound sterilized, now is the time to see your doctor to determine how severe the bite is.
- Sixth – Your doctor will be able to make sure the wound is ok and not getting worse. If further medical attention is necessary, they will be able to tell you that.
- Seventh – After the visits with your doctor, make sure to pay attention to the wound. If it gets worse, go back for further medical care.
Here are a few of the most common bacterial infections that occur with dog bites:
- Staph Infection – Staph infections are common in dog bites if the wound isn’t properly cleaned and taken care of.
- Pasteurella multocida – This dog bite infection can lead to skin necrosis, and other serious health issues such as meningitis, otitis, pyogenic arthritis, brain abscess and more.
- Capnocytophaga – You can get a Capnocytophaga Infection from a dog bite. These infections are serious, and can cause heart attacks, organ failure, gangrene and can even lead to the amputation of limbs.
Which Dog Breeds are most likely to bite?
Certain dog breeds have a higher chance to bite than others. The question is, which dog breeds are most likely to bite ? Here are a few answers to that question:
This article from the CDC gives a comprehensive breakdown of Dog Bite Related Fatalities, and which breeds were most responsible for those fatalities.
This link houses several different statistics regarding dog bite studies, dog bite fatalities, dog bite fatality citations, and more.
- Pit Bull
- German Shepherd
- Australian Shepherd
- Lhasa Apso
- Jack Russell Terrier
- Cocker Spaniel
- Bull Terrier
Dog Bite Lawyer Vienna, MO – We can Help
Dog bites and dog attacks happen because of negligence. If the dog owner was a responsible owner you wouldn’t have been attacked by the dog. This fact absolutely matters. Negligent actions can cause damages, and when they do, the individual who caused those damages can be held liable for the act. Our Personal Injury Lawyers in Vienna have taken on dog bite lawsuits before and can ensure that you’re given the quality care and legal advice that you deserve. Our Dog Bite Lawyers will take your claim seriously, and we’re more than willing to take your dog attacks lawsuit to court to make sure you get the respect you deserve. To learn more about our Firm, our practices, or how we can help you with your claim, call our team at 314-648-8348 or 618-226-4811. We don’t charge any fees for our consultations, and we never ask for any attorneys fees unless we win your dog bite lawsuit.