Car accidents can be physically, emotionally, and financially challenging. If you’ve been injured in a car accident that was the fault of another, you might be wondering what type of compensation you can recover for your harm and losses.
In this FAQ, we’ll discuss the car accident claims process, what damages are typically recovered after a car accident, and the average car accident settlement that victims can recover. If you have questions about your car accident claim, or why you should hire a car accident lawyer in St. Louis to represent your case, call 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222 for a free consultation.
Filing a Car Accident Claim & Recoverable Damages
If you were injured in a car accident, there are several things that go into play with determining who is at fault. After a car accident, it’s best to avoid talking to the insurance company until you’ve consulted an attorney, as often, insurers will try to get an incriminating statement to pin blame on you in the accident. Not to mention, an attorney can help you file a strong car accident claim. When filing a car accident claim, you’ll need a police report, proof of your injuries, witness accounts, and a medical report – all of which an attorney can help you gather and use to write a strong demand letter for your claim.
So, what damages can you recover with a car accident claim? Typically, you can recover medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, property damage, and other expenses associated with the accident. However, the amount of a car accident settlement varies from case to case depending on several factors.
How is the Average Car Accident Settlement Determined?
If one person is solely at fault in an accident, the victim can recover full compensation for their damages. However, if there are one or more parties at fault in an accident, this can become tricky. In some states, such as Missouri and Illinois, that use Comparative Fault, victims can only recover compensation for their damages that’s equal to their degree of fault in the accident. For example, if one person is 20% at fault and the other is 80% at fault in an accident with $100,000 in damages, the person that is only 20% at fault can recover $80,000 in damages, while the other party can recover $20,000. Of course, this is just an example, and depending on the verdict of a case, could result in one, neither, or both parties receiving compensation.
If you are looking for a car accident lawyer in St. Louis, Burger Law provides the highest quality legal representation to car accident victims in Missouri and Illinois. If you need help filing a car accident claim, determining the value of your damages, or have questions about the average car accident settlement, our car accident lawyers in St. Louis can help. Call or contact our attorneys at 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222 for a free case review.