All Questions

January 17, 2020 | Gary Burger

Can I Recover Non-Economic Damages in My Case?

Non-economic damages, also known as pain and suffering damages, account for many different non-tangible damages that stem from an accident, such as mental or emotional distress. Pain and suffering damages can vary from case to case, and some states have caps for the amount that a person can recover for non-economic damages, but Missouri and Illinois do not have restrictions.

You are probably wondering, "how much can I recover for my case then?" This depends on several factors associated with your case, such as, who was at fault in the accident, how severe your injuries are, the amount of evidence there is from the scene of the accident, and other case-specific details.

If you were injured because of another person's carelessness, you are going to need help from a personal injury lawyer in St. Louis. The legal team at Burger Law tirelessly fights for the recovery of victims in Missouri and Illinois and can demand the most damages for your case. If you have any questions about what non-economic damages you can recover, or other concerns in regards to your case, call 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222. We don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we never ask for any attorneys fees unless we win compensation for your case.

Types of Non-Economic Damages

During your initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer in St. Louis, they'll ask you questions about your case to assess your right to compensation. If the other party is at-fault in the accident and caused your injuries, they could be liable to compensate you for damages.

After an accident, it's essential to keep track of out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident (medical treatment, vehicle repair, lost wages), as well as any effects that the accident might have had on your personality/behavior or your relationship with your spouse. If you've noticed that you've been more depressed, are suddenly anxious, or easily frightened, or there's been a decrease in affection in your relationship, you could have a strong case for recovering non-economic damages. Non-economic damages that are typically associated with personal injury cases include:

  • Mental or Emotional Distress - anxiety, depression, PTSD, and other mental/emotional conditions caused by trauma or grief that stemmed from the accident or your injuries
  • Loss of Companionship - if your spouse has noticed a loss of affection or other harm has been done to your relationship because of the accident, your spouse could recover loss of consortium damages
  • Decrease in Life Enjoyment - if you've noticed a reduced quality of life or a decrease in overall life satisfaction since the accident, you could recover compensation for loss of enjoyment
  • Disability/Disfigurement - if you suffered a disability or disfigurement in the accident, while compensation won't make your condition go away, it can help you work towards putting it behind you

Above all else, after an accident, the best way to make sure that you get justice and compensation for your case is hiring an attorney to represent your case. No one will fight for your case with more determination, or have your case's best interests at heart more than a personal injury lawyer in St. Louis.

Can I Sue for Non-Economic Damages?

If you've been injured because of another person's recklessness, you could be entitled to recoveries for your harm and losses. You're going to need the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer in St. Louis to get the maximum amount of compensation for your case. An attorney understands Missouri's legal process better than anyone and can demand the best results for your personal injury case.

If you would like to discuss your case with our team and find out if you can recover non-economic damages, call 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222. We don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we never ask for any attorneys fees unless we win compensation for your claim.