All Questions

October 22, 2019 | Gary Burger

Can I Sue if My Car was Damaged by a Snow Plow?

Winter weather can be awesome, and in many cases, it can be downright terrible. No one enjoys driving on snow-covered or ice covered roads. It's dangerous, and it's the easiest way to get into an accident. That's why we count on the snow plows to clear the roads and highways that we need to get to work and other places. But what happens when a snow plow damages your vehicle? What do you do if a snow plow throws snow off a bridge and a large chunk of it damages your vehicle? Who do you contact when a snow plow hits your vehicle and leaves a large dent in it? Can you sue the city? Can you sue the highway department? In this article, we're going to explore the different ways you can get a recovery when the city or state damages your vehicle while clearing the road. If you have any immediate questions about a potential case, or if you want a personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim, please don't hesitate to contact our firm at your earliest convenience.

Can I sue if my Car was damaged by a Snow Plow?

Personal Injury Lawyer St. Louis

When roads are snowed over, they have to be cleared, and we rely on the city or state snow plows to do that work. They typically do a decent job of clearing and salting the roads so that they are drive-able. However, and it does happen, they can also damage our vehicles when they throw snow onto them, or when they are clearing snow from a bridge and the harder compact snow is tossed over the side of the bridge and hits cars driving below. This isn't even counting when the snow plow itself hits your vehicle. So here is the question. Can you sue the city or state if your car is damaged by a snow plow truck?

The answer to this question is YES. If your vehicle was damaged by a snow plow truck, you can pursue a damages claim against the city, or against the state if your vehicle was damaged by a state plow truck. These types of claims are very similar to normal car accident claims, where you alert your insurance company, and then your municipality within the city or state that caused the damages. Typically, cities or states have set procedures for determining fault and how quickly you need to assert your claim. In most cases, you're going to want to present your claim before two weeks have passed.

If you're not sure how to proceed forward with these types of claims, or you don't know who to contact, our Personal Injury Lawyers in St. Louis can help. We know that the legalities of any case can be confusing, but we have the experience to guide you through your claim so that you get the recovery you need and deserve. If you have any questions regarding our processes, or how a lawyer can help you with your claim, please don't hesitate to contact our firm at your earliest convenience.