All Questions

June 17, 2020 | Gary Burger

What Are My Rights If My Family Member is Killed in a Truck Accident?

The loss of a loved one is devastating. The sudden and unexpected nature of losing someone to a vehicle collision is difficult, but when that vehicle is a semi-truck, it becomes even more complicated. Though it will not replace the person you've lost, you do have the right to financial compensation. Pursuing a wrongful death suit can help alleviate some of the financial stress that accompanies a truck accident death so you can grieve your loved one in peace.

Burger Law is here for you. We will help you build a strong case so you get the compensation that you and your family deserve. Contact us or call our offices at 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222 to talk to an experienced and understanding professional about your case and to schedule a free consultation.

What Can I Do if My Family Member is Killed in a Truck Accident?

When a person passes, many people are deeply affected. However, to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a truck accident victim in Missouri, one must be a family member of the deceased. According to law, the claim must be filed by a spouse, parent, child, or grandchild of the deceased. If none of these family members are still living, then a sibling of the deceased may file, or a child of a sibling if the sibling is no longer living. For individuals with no surviving family members, a representative of the person's estate can do so. Finally, if there is no representative, another person can petition to be able to file.

Finances may be awarded for:

  • loss of the deceased's income
  • medical bills
  • final expenses, including the funeral and burial
  • caregiving services if the deceased was caregiver or guardian to a minor, a senior, or person with a disability
  • emotional suffering and bereavement
  • loss of care, comfort, protection, and support
  • loss of compainionship

When your family member is the victim of a fatal semi-truck accident, you are entitled to significant financial compensation. To get this compensation, you or another family member need to bring a wrongful death suit to the court. Missouri's statute of limitations for this type of case is three years. In other words, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. Once you decide to file, you shouldn't have to worry about the ins and outs of winning your case. An experienced wrongful death attorney will help you through this sensitive time.

Wrongful Death Lawyers in St. Louis | Burger Law

A wrongful death claim can seem complicated or daunting. That's why you need the help of an attorney with experience in cases like yours. Burger Law will represent you and fight for the compensation you deserve. Call 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222 or contact us for a free case review.