All Questions

September 13, 2021 | Gary Burger

Who can I sue for my premises liability injuries?

When you visit a store, restaurant, bar, office building, you don't expect to be hit by a falling object, fall into an uncovered hole, trip on a spill, or get hurt by some other hazard. You expect that the person or company in charge of running the property would remove or address anything dangerous on their property. When they don't and it causes you harm, you may be able to sue that person or people in a premises liability claim

Collect the damages you deserve by suing the possessor of the property where you were injured right away. Hire a Burger Law premises liability lawyer in St. Louis to fight for you today. For help suing the possessor of the property where you were hurt, call us now at ,at (314) 500-HURT.

Suing for Premises Liability Injuries

When you choose to file a premise liability suit against someone, you and your premises liability attorney must prove that:

  • There was a dangerous condition on the premises,
  • The possessor of the land knew or should have reasonably known of the dangerous condition
  • The possessor failed to remove, repair, and warn about the hazard
  • You were injured by the presence of the dangerous condition
  • In addition to the above requirements for a premises liability claim, another requirement has to do with your permission to be on the property. Visitors are classified in one of three categories, and the property possessor's liability is affected by this classification. If you are invited to the property you are either an invitee or a licensee, and the possessor is liable to remove or warn you about potential dangers on their property. As a trespasser, on the other hand, in many cases the possessor may not be responsible for paying your damages. Your St. Louis premises liability lawyer will help you understand and navigate your specific premises liability case.

    Who is liable for my premises liability injuries?

    If there is a hazard or danger that causes you to get hurt while on someone else's property, you may be able to sue for premises liability damages. You need an experienced premises liability lawyer in St. Louis to prove the defendant's liability in your case. But who is responsible and who can you sue?

    The obvious defendant is the owner of the property. If you are injured on a property, the property owner may be liable for your injuries. However, there are other potentially liable parties in a premises liability case as well. The party responsible for overseeing the property in a premises liability case is called the possessor

    The Possessor

    The party responsible for the property in question at the time you were injured could be:

    • Property owner
    • Property manager
    • A tenant
    • Contractors working on the property
    • An employee

    The people, businesses, or groups of people you can sue for your injuries depend on the type of property it is and who was looking after it at the time of your accident. For example, many times in a retail or corporate property like a store or office building, the owner is not responsible for the property while the tenant has possession of the property. However, the owner of the property or company that manages the property may be responsible if you are injured in a common area on the property, such as the parking lot.

    There are many possibilities in a premises liability case and who you are able to sue depends on your unique situation. To understand your options in holding the right party accountable and collecting the damages you are owed, you need to hire an experienced premises liability attorney in St. Louis. Your Burger Law premises liability lawyer can investigate all liable parties and demand that they pay for your injuries.

    Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Louis | Burger Law

    Burger Law has a team of experienced premises liability lawyers who are waiting to take your battle to the doorsteps of the person in charge when your accident took place. When you are ready to sue for your premises liability injuries and collect a recovery for your injuries, call a premise liability lawyer at Burger Law today at 314-648-8348 or reach us online to discuss your case with a lawyer for free.