All Questions

January 29, 2020 | Gary Burger

Will a Car/Truck Accident Claim Pay for My Injuries If They Get Worse in the Future?

Most car/truck accident injuries are immediately noticeable, but some injuries aren't visible, such as whiplash and concussions. Pain associated with these injuries can be delayed and not show symptoms for weeks or months after an accident. What does this mean for your claim? Can you still recover compensation for delayed injuries? How will this affect the amount of time it takes to recover damages for your case?

In this FAQ, we'll discuss delayed car/truck accident injuries, what you need to prove delayed injuries after an accident, and the types of future damages that you could receive for worsened injuries. If you've experienced delayed back, neck, abdominal, or other pain after a car/truck accident, and aren't sure how to recover compensation if your injuries worsen in the future, Burger Law can help.

Our personal injury lawyers in St. Louis are passionate about making sure that clients are compensated for all damages caused by another person's negligence, including present and future damages, and will fight for your case until you are satisfied with the results. Call 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222 for a free consultation. We don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we never ask for any attorney fees unless we win your personal injury claim.

Common Delayed Injuries After a Car/Truck Accident

One of the most common mistakes that people make after a car/truck accident is settling a case too quickly. Sure, the other party's insurance company might offer you a settlement off the bat that seems adequate, but in reality, it is likely far less than the amount that you deserve. Insurance companies try to take advantage of car/truck accident victims' vulnerability after accidents and offer reduced settlements hoping that you'll accept before talking to a lawyer about your case.

After an accident, it's essential to avoid talking to the insurance company before you consult a personal injury lawyer in St. Louis about the situation. Your attorney can make sure that you get the treatment you need for your injuries, determine recoverable damages for your case, and schedule follow-ups with your physician in the weeks after the accident to rule out any delayed injuries that might exist.

Common types of delayed injuries after a car/truck accident include:

  • Whiplash - the blunt force impact of a car/truck accident can cause neck stiffness and pain, which can take weeks to present itself after an accident. If you've noticed a tingling sensation in your neck or chest, a loss of feeling, or sharp, shooting pain that persists for more than a week after the accident, you could be suffering from delayed whiplash
  • Back Pain - lower and upper back pain is a common injury in rear-end accidents, but can sometimes take weeks or months to notice. If you have chronic back pain, numbness, or trouble sitting for long periods after an accident, you could have a herniated disc or chronic back pain that requires ongoing physical therapy and medication to heal
  • Soft Tissue Injuries - if you have persistent ankle, leg, hip, or foot pain/numbness, you could have a soft tissue injury, such as a strain or sprain
  • Head Injuries - severe head injuries have immediate symptoms, but more mild concussions can take days or weeks to show symptoms. If you have nausea or vomiting, persistent headaches, confusion, memory loss, or other prolonged head symptoms after an accident, you could have a concussion, broken blood vessel, or another head injury, which, if untreated can cause brain damage
  • Psychological Trauma - depression, anxiety, PTSD, or other mental/emotional distress that lasts for longer than a week or two after an accident

If you've noticed delayed injuries or increased pain in the days, weeks, or months after an accident, this is where your attorney comes into play. After an accident, your attorney will make sure that you have copies of past and present medical records, recommend ongoing check-ups to rule out other/worsened injuries, and if delayed or worsened injuries occur, your attorney can make sure that symptoms and out-of-pocket medical expenses related to the accident are documented and ready to use if you need to make adjustments to your claim.

What Future Damages Can I Recover for a Car/Truck Accident Claim?

If you've already submitted a car or truck accident claim for an accident, but have delayed or worsened injuries, your attorney can submit a revised demand letter for your claim. If you decide to seek reimbursement for present/future damages associated with delayed or worsened injuries from an accident, the following are some of the most common damages awarded for delayed/worsened car/truck injuries:

  • Depending on the nature of your injuries, you could receive reimbursement for medical care or ongoing compensation for medication/therapy/surgery needed to live a comfortable life after the accident
  • If a mental health professional diagnoses you with severe depression, anxiety, PTSD, or another mental/emotional distress condition, you could receive compensation for out-of-pocket therapy/medication costs you've incurred, or in severe cases, monthly compensation for pain and suffering
  • If your delayed/worsened injuries prevent you from doing your current job, in addition to reimbursement for work hours missed because of the accident, depending on the nature of your injuries, you could receive reimbursement for vocational rehabilitation or disability benefits in some cases to offset lost wages from the accident
  • If your spouse has noticed a decrease in affection because of delayed/worsened injuries, they could file a loss of consortium claim

Above all else, the most influential factor in the outcome of a delayed/worsened injury claim is adequate legal representation for your case. An aggressive personal injury lawyer in St. Louis can negotiate with the other party's insurance company and won't give up if they try to offer you a mediocre settlement for your harm and losses. Your attorney will push back against the negligent party's insurer and make sure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation for present/future damages.

If your car/truck accident injuries are delayed or have gradually worsened in the days, weeks, or months after the accident, Burger Law provides the highest-quality legal guidance to victims in Missouri and Illinois. If you need help determining if your car/truck accident claim will pay for your delayed/worsened injuries, or want more information about our firm, call 314-542-2222, 618-272-2222, or contact our personal injury lawyers in St. Louis now for a no-risk case review. We don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we never ask for any attorney fees unless we win your personal injury claim.