All Posts

Posted in Uncategorized on February 1, 2017   |  by Gary Burger


Go-Karts and ATV Insurance and Crashes

Did you know that go-karts are hard to insure? They are typically not covered under your car insurance policy. They are almost always excluded from your homeowner's policy. This is not only for go-karts, but also other ATV vehicles like golf carts, four wheelers, trail bikes, dune buggies, and other utility vehicles. Burger Law recommends discussing coverage of your ATV or UTV with your insurance company so that you know your exact coverage. It is also possible to get separate insurance for these vehicles, which could be necessary depending on your use of the vehicle. If you operate your ATV on public streets it is vital to check your insurance coverage. If you are involved in an accident and sustain go-kart injuries from the crash, your auto insurance will not help you cover your expenses. If the crash was your fault, you will have to come out of pocket to fix the damage to the other person's vehicle. We all know that damage to vehicles is costly, so it is important to protect yourself!

So what do you do if you are involved in an accident on your ATV or with a driver of an ATV? Burger Law is currently representing a woman in a go-kart crash case. We will have to proceed against both the negligent go-kart driver and our client's uninsured motorist coverage to get her compensation.

Be careful! Go-karts do not have a wheel differential which makes them harder to steer on paved roads.  We can't go on paved roads anyway. Did you know if over 50 cc engine a vehicle needs a license plate?