Medical Malpractice Lawyers Blue Springs,
You should not have to pay because a doctor, hospital or other healthcare professional in Blue Springs, MO broke the rules. When we seek medical treatment, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our well-being — and occasionally even our lives — in capable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or injuries as a result, believe in the accomplished and skilled Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to deliver you justice and full financial compensation. Not only are we empathetic and dedicated to our Blue Springs, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the at-fault doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to know that we mean business and will accept nothing but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have destructive, life-long repercussions, and in the worst cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience pushing back against bullies and getting the best possible results for our clients, we have won our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you love has been injured by a negligent doctor in Blue Springs, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers now at or contact us online.
See how much compensation you may be able to receive by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Blue Springs, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
A study by John Hopkins Medicine found that 10 percent of all fatalities in the U.S. are because of medical error. Just one percent of physicians are responsible for nearly 33 percent of medical malpractice cases. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any repercussions. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors to blame, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff being awarded damages. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was recovered in medical malpractice claims. You need committed and experienced Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you get the full financial recovery you deserve.
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Blue Springs, MO Can Hold Liable in Your Case
We frequently immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be culpable of medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice lawsuits are typically complicated; it may not be clear right away who was to blame, or many people may be accountable. The trustworthy and knowledgeable Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will perform a complete investigation into your claim and make certain that each party that caused you injuries is held responsible for their thoughtless behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Blue Springs, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional breaches the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same field and same geographic location would have care for your health problems. Our Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that take place in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most common reason for medical malpractice lawsuits related to outpatient care. Roughly 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Catching health problems early on is often a deciding factor in realizing the best possible outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can result in a delay to the treatment you desperately require to become healthier, or can result in improper treatment that aggravates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most severe health conditions, such as:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for cardiac events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most common medical malpractice case when it comes to inpatient care. There are at least 4,000 surgical mistakes in the U.S. every year, and frighteningly, the most common instance is operating on the wrong organ. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like sponges remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address issues surface after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die annually owing to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving an incorrect dosage or failing to recognize interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a main contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 doctors and learned that doctors themselves believe that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- 22 percent of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- Over a tenth of procedures
- Over a fifth of all medical care
Unnecessary treatment can lead to surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
On average, 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States sustain a serious birth injury each year. Not appropriately monitoring the infant during delivery, not properly using birthing techniques or not diagnosing a health condition of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical malpractice that can lead to long-term or lifelong consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act put in place a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to safeguard and ensure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home or its staff does not ensure those rights and the person you love is injured as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them accountable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has an inherent right to make choices for ourselves. When a physician fails to inform you of risks, or fails to acquire your consent before treatment, it is a horrible infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every kind of malpractice claim. We know the terrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's neglect can cause, and the exasperation and sorrow that comes with discovering that your trust was broken. We hold negligent doctors to blame and get our Blue Springs, MO clients the full compensation they are owed and that they require to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have exhaustive medical comprehension and will be able to determine precisely how your doctor violated the standard of care. Reach out to our medical malpractice lawyers in Blue Springs, MO immediately at .
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Browse the following links to see several of the recent victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have gotten for our clients in Blue Springs, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice cases are notably difficult to win. That is why you need excellent medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, determination and talent to secure you the maximum compensation you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get to work on your case straight away
- Connect you with trusted and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical treatment you deserve
- Conduct a comprehensive investigation, including gathering medical records, expert testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Converse with our team of Blue Springs, MO medical experts to establish standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the treatment you were provided with was not up to the standard and prove negligence
- Offer empathetic, informed and honest legal direction
- Make sure you informed through the duration of your case so you are aware of what is going on and know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Oversee every legal aspect of your case so you can spend your energy on recovering
- Confer with with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to win you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Blue Springs, MO does not have access to the resources and legal know-how to fight the high-priced defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. That is why our Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. We accept no attorneys fees until we get you the great compensation you deserve. We have dedicated our careers to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Blue Springs, MO have access to the highest standard of legal advocacy, one that equals and exceeds that of large corporations. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to abolish every hindrance standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error committed by healthcare institution or physician constitutes malpractice. In order to be awarded compensation for negligent treatment in Blue Springs, MO, you must prove four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is usually very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was breached the standard of care. You need to be able to show that a competent physician in the same field, in the same geographical location caring for the same health problem, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s negligence directly caused you injured. This can often be tough to prove, as patients being treated by a physician are customarily already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. This can include physical pain, a disability, additional medical expenses, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also need to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your case, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a medical professional in the same field that states that a) the doctor did not provide the care that a careful healthcare provider would have under similar circumstances, and b) the failure contributed to the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of accomplished and qualified medical connections in Blue Springs and throughout Missouri who will help back up your claim.
What Compensation Can I Get? | Blue Springs, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive usually falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the financial damages you have undergone owing to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence caused an impairment that does not allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work around the clock until you get every dollar that you are owed. We know that some injuries are impossible to truly recover from, but we fight to make certain that you are made whole again.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in two key manners. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to lower insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill puts in place "damage caps" on how much you can be awarded in a medical malpractice claim in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Blue Springs, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The limits for catastrophic injuries are higher because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you ascertain if your injury can be seen as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Blue Springs, MO?
If you or a loved one were hurt by a medical professional's negligence in Blue Springs, MO, it is critical to contact medical malpractice lawyers right away. While most personal injury claims have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice claims only have a time limit of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been harmed your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three important exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your family member was under 18 on the date of the malpractice, you have until their 20th birthday.
Do not delay. Contact the Burger Law Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers now. We get working on your case at once and do not rest until you have been fully compensated . Delaying could bring complications to your suit and could make it tough for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full extent of your damages. Call Burger Law's Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at .
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Blue Springs, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a healthcare professional gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work around the clock to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let healthcare professionals, large hospitals exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Blue Springs, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.