They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Carrollton, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Carrollton, Missouri. If you or a loved one were hurt because a healthcare professional did not give you the competent care that you deserved, call Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or complete our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get great financial recoveries for the injured and vulnerable in Carrollton and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a doctor, hospital or other medical professional in Carrollton, MO disregarded your health. When we get medical care, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our well-being — and sometimes even our lives — in dependable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or injuries as a consequence, trust in the experienced and knowledgeable Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to win you justice and great financial compensation. Not only are we understanding and committed to the injured in Carrollton, MO, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the at-fault doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to realize that we are persistent and will accept nothing but maximum compensation. Negligent health care can have destructive, permanent consequences, and in the dire circumstances can even result in wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience pushing back against bullies and getting the best possible results for the injured, we have won our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a family member has been hurt by a negligent medical professional in Carrollton, MO, get in touch with Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See the potential value of your claim by using our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Carrollton, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all fatalities nationwide are owing to medical error. Just one percent of physicians account for nearly 33 percent of medical malpractice claims. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to continue practicing without any repercussions. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold at-fault doctors accountable, you can be certain the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice lawsuits end with the plaintiff collecting compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need devoted and experienced Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make certain you recover the best possible compensation you are owed.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Carrollton, MO Can Hold Accountable in Your Case
We usually automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be liable for medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice cases are frequently complex; it may not be clear straight away who was to blame, or many parties may be liable. The trustworthy and skilled Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into your injuries and ensure that every party that caused you injuries is held accountable for their careless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Carrollton, MO
Medical negligence transpires when a healthcare professional breaks the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same practice area and same geographic location would have care for your health problems. Our Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that happen in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits that take place in out-of-hospital treatment. Roughly 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Catching health problems early on is significant in realizing the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can result in a delay to the care you desperately need to get better, or can cause unsuitable treatment that compounds your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most deadly health conditions, for example:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most frequent medical malpractice claim related to in-hospital care. There are at least 4,000 surgical errors nationwide every year, and frighteningly, the most common source is performing surgery on an erroneous organ. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address issues show up after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die each year owing to medication errors. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving an incorrect dosage or not recognizing interactions with other drugs.
Another instance of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a substantial factor in the opioid crisis in the U.S.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and learned that doctors themselves are of the opinion that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than one-fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- More than one-tenth of procedures
- 20.6 percent of medical care in general
Unneeded treatment can lead to surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Roughly 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States suffer a significant birth injury Every year. Not appropriately observing the baby during birth, not appropriately using birthing procedures or not diagnosing a health issue of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical negligence that can cause long-term or lifelong consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act determined a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and secure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home institution or staff disregards those rights and the person you care about is consequently hurt, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them responsible.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has an innate right to make decisions for ourselves. When a doctor does not inform you of risks, or does not secure your consent before treatment, it is a serious infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the traumatic repercussions a healthcare professional's or institution's negligence can cause, and the exasperation and grief that accompanies learning that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors liable and secure our Carrollton, MO clients the best possible compensation they deserve and require to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have vast medical comprehension and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor violated the standard of care. Reach out to our medical malpractice lawyers in Carrollton, MO immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the following links to see several of the recent successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Carrollton, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice suits are infamously hard to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, persistence and savvy to get you the best possible financial recovery you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get to work on your claim immediately
- Connect you with trustworthy and accomplished physicians to finally get you the medical treatment you need
- Conduct a complete investigation, including gathering medical records, qualified testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Converse with our team of Carrollton, MO medical experts to establish standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the care you were given was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer sympathetic, sound and trustworthy legal direction
- Make sure you informed through the duration of your suit so you are not left in the dark and you know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Oversee every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Work with with economic experts to precisely value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company to win you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to court when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Carrollton, MO does not have the resources and legal know-how to oppose the expensive defense teams of doctors and large insurance companies. That is why our Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not owe us any fees until we get you the great compensation you deserve. We have committed our lives to making certain that the injured and vulnerable in Carrollton, MO have access to the highest quality legal advocacy, one that rivals and eclipses that of large insurance companies. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every hurdle standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error carried out by medical professional constitutes malpractice. In order to receive a financial recovery for negligent treatment in Carrollton, MO, you must prove four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you prove that:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally not difficult to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a competent doctor in the same practice area, in the same geographical location caring for the same medical condition, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused you injured. This can frequently be hard to prove, as patients under a physician's care are usually already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. Examples include physical pain, a disability, additional medical bills, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a healthcare professional in the same practice area that states that a) the doctor did not offer the treatment that a careful healthcare provider would have under the same circumstances, and b) the failure caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of accomplished and professional medical connections in Carrollton and throughout Missouri who will help validate your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Get? | Carrollton, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you recover usually falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the financial loss you have undergone due to a doctor's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence caused an impairment that does not permit you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including:
- Follow up appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical therapy
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every penny that you deserve. We know that you can never fully recover from some injuries, but we fight to ensure that you get justice.
Malpractice cases vary from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of important details. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you understand damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature put into law Senate Bill 239 in an effort to reduce insurance premiums for medical negligence. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much compensation you can be awarded in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Carrollton, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The limits for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be seen as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Carrollton, MO?
If you or a loved one were injured by a physician's substandard care in Carrollton, MO, it is crucial to contact medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury cases have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice suits only have a time limit of two years, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been harmed your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three noteworthy exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you care about was under 18 on the date of the substandard care, you have until they turn 20.
Do not delay. Get in touch with the Burger Law Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately. We get started on your case at once and do not let up until you have been fully compensated . Delaying could create difficulties for your suit and could make it difficult for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to demonstrate the full scope of your damages. Call Burger Law's Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Carrollton, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a doctor gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work tirelessly to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let physicians, large hospitals abuse your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Carrollton, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.