Medical Malpractice Lawyers Garden City,
You do not have to pay because a doctor, hospital or other healthcare professional in Garden City, MO gave you substandard care. When we seek medical treatment, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our well-being — and occasionally even our lives — in competent hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or injuries as a result, believe in the accomplished and skilled Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to secure you justice and a full compensation. Not only are we understanding and committed to the injured in Garden City, MO, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want medical professionals and their insurance company to understand that we are driven and will not take anything but the best possible financial recovery. Negligent health care can have terrible, life-long consequences, and in the dire circumstances can even lead to wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience standing up to bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have secured our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you care about has been hurt by a negligent medical professional in Garden City, MO, get in touch with Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers right away at or contact us online.
See how much compensation you may be able to receive by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Garden City, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all fatalities in the United States are due to medical error. Just one percent of doctors account for almost 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to continue practicing without any repercussions. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors accountable, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff being awarded compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was recovered in medical malpractice claims. You need devoted and experienced Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you collect the maximum compensation you are owed.
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Garden City, MO Can Hold Responsible in Your Case
We often immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be to blame for medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice suits are frequently complicated; it may not be clear right away who was to blame, or many parties may be accountable. The trusted and talented Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into your claim and make sure that every party that caused you harm is held accountable for their negligent behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Garden City, MO
Medical negligence happens when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same field and same geographic location would have care for your health problems. Our Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that occur in myriad ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits that occur in outpatient care. About 12 million people in United States are misdiagnosed each year. Diagnosing medical issues early on is critical in getting the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can cause a delay to the care you acutely need to get better, or can lead to unsuitable treatment that exacerbates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most severe health conditions, for example:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for cardiac events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most common medical malpractice case when it comes to inpatient care. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical mistakes in the United States every year, and frighteningly, the most common source is performing surgery on the wrong organ. Other examples can include accidental cuts, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address difficulties arising from the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the U.S. die every year due to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not taking a record of the patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving the wrong dosage or not identifying interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a main factor in the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs approximately $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and discovered that physicians themselves believe that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- Over one-fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- Over one-tenth of procedures
- 20.6 percent of medical treatment in general
Unnecessary treatment can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a serious birth injury each year. Not correctly observing the baby throughout birth, not correctly utilizing birthing techniques or not diagnosing a health issue of the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can result in long-term or lifelong health conditions.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act determined a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to shield and confirm their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home institution or staff does not respect those rights and the person you love is consequently injured, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them responsible.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have a basic right to make decisions for ourselves. When a healthcare professional neglects to inform you of risks, or fails to secure your consent before a procedure, it is an egregious infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every kind of negligence case. We know the terrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's thoughtlessness can cause, and the rage and grief that comes with learning that your trust was broken. We hold at-fault doctors to blame and win our Garden City, MO clients the maximum financial recovery they are owed and that they require to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have substantial medical knowledge and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor breached the standard of care. Reach out to our medical malpractice lawyers in Garden City, MO at once at .
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Browse the following links to see some of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have gotten for our clients in Garden City, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice cases are notoriously hard to win. That is why you need stellar medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, determination and talent to deliver you the full compensation you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get working on your case right away
- Connect you with trusted and competent physicians to finally get you the medical treatment you deserve
- Carry out a complete investigation, including collecting medical records, qualified testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Work with our network of Garden City, MO medical experts to demonstrate standard of care in your case, show how the treatment you were given was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer empathetic, knowledgeable and trustworthy legal counsel
- Keep you informed through the duration of your suit so you are not left in the dark and you know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Manage every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Work with with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to win you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to court when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most people in Garden City, MO does not have access to the resources and legal know-how to combat the expensive defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. That is why our Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We charge no attorneys fees until we get you the great compensation you deserve. We have devoted our lives to ensuring that the injured and vulnerable in Garden City, MO have access to the highest standard of legal representation, one that matches and eclipses that of large corporations. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to remove every barrier standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake carried out by medical institution or doctor constitutes malpractice. In order to receive compensation for negligent care in Garden City, MO, you must conclusively show four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you prove that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was determined. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is usually very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a competent doctor in the same practice area, in the same geographical location caring for the same health condition, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused you injured. This can often be difficult to prove, as patients under a physician's care are usually already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they need to be compensated for. Examples include physical pain, a disability, additional medical expenses, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to offer an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your case, following Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a medical professional in the same field that states that a) the doctor did not give you the care that a careful healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the failure contributed to the alleged damages. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of experienced and professional medical connections in Garden City and throughout Missouri who will help verify your claim.
What Compensation Can I Get? | Garden City, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you collect usually falls into two categories: economic damages, which are intended to compensate you for the monetary damages you have experienced owing to a doctor's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which seek to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence caused a disability that does not permit you to conduct the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example:
- Follow up appointments
- Physical therapy
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every dollar that you deserve. We know that you can never really heal from some injuries, but we fight to make sure that your pain and suffering is alleviated.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of important aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you maneuver damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to decrease insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill puts in place "damage caps" on how much compensation you can receive in a medical malpractice lawsuit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Garden City, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are higher because they impact your ability to perform basic tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 says that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Garden City, MO?
If you or someone you love were injured by a physician's negligence in Garden City, MO, it is imperative to get in touch with medical malpractice lawyers immediately. While most personal injury claims have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice lawsuits only have a time limit of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been harmed your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your family member was a minor on the date of the substandard care, you have until their 20th birthday.
There is no time to wait. Reach out to the Burger Law Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers straight away. We get to work on your case at once and do not let up until you have been fully compensated . Delaying could bring difficulties to your claim and could make it tough for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to demonstrate the full impacts of your damages. Call Burger Law's Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at .
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Garden City, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a doctor was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Midwest. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let medical professionals, large corporations exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Garden City, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.