They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Grain Valley, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Grain Valley, Missouri. If you or a family member were hurt because a doctor did not give you the adequate treatment that you were owed, call Burger Law right away at (314) 500-HURT or complete our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get great compensation for our clients in Grain Valley and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a doctor, medical institution or other healthcare professional in Grain Valley, MO broke the rules. When we seek medical care, we do so believing that we are placing our health — and occasionally even our lives — in trustworthy hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or harm as a result, trust in the accomplished and skilled Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to secure you justice and great financial compensation. Not only are we compassionate and dedicated to the injured in Grain Valley, MO, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the at-fault doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we are driven and will not take anything but the best possible compensation. Negligent health care can have devastating, life-long consequences, and in the worst circumstances can even result in wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience fighting back against bullies and getting great results for our clients, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a loved one has been injured by a thoughtless physician in Grain Valley, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See the potential value of your claim by using our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Grain Valley, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that 10 percent of all deaths in the U.S. are because of medical error. Just one percent of doctors account for just about 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any punishment. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold negligent doctors responsible, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff recovering damages. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice cases. You need dedicated and experienced Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to ensure you are awarded the maximum financial recovery you are owed.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Grain Valley, MO Can Hold To Blame in Your Claim
We frequently automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be culpable of medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice suits are frequently complicated; it may not be immediately clear who was liable, or many people could be responsible. The dependable and savvy Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will perform a complete investigation into your case and ensure that every party that caused you injuries is held responsible for their negligent actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Grain Valley, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional violates the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same field and same geographic location would have treated your health problems. Our Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that take place in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice lawsuits related to out-of-hospital treatment. Roughly 12 million people in United States are misdiagnosed every year. Catching medical problems early on is crucial in getting the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can result in a delay to the treatment you acutely need to get better, or can result in incorrect treatment that worsens your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most life-threatening health conditions, such as:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for cardiac events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most frequent medical malpractice case related to inpatient care. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical mistakes nationwide each year, and frighteningly, the most common instance is operating on the wrong organ. Other examples can include accidental cuts, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like scissors being left inside the patient, infections or failure to address problems surface after the surgery.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die every year because of medication errors. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving the wrong dosage or neglecting to identify interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a major contributor to the opioid crisis in the U.S.
Unnecessary medical care costs roughly $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 doctors and found that doctors themselves believe that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than a fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- Over one-tenth of procedures
- More than a fifth of all medical treatment
Unneeded care can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
About 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States suffer a significant birth injury each year. Not properly monitoring the infant throughout delivery, not properly utilizing birthing techniques or not diagnosing a health issue with the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can cause long-term or permanent consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act put in place a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and secure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home or its staff neglects those rights and the person you love is injured as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them accountable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has a fundamental right to make choices for ourselves. When a doctor does not inform you of risks, or neglects to acquire your consent before treatment, it is an appalling breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the devastating consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's neglect can cause, and the exasperation and grief that comes with discovering that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors accountable and secure our Grain Valley, MO clients the great compensation they deserve and require to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical comprehension and will be able to determine precisely how your doctor violated the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Grain Valley, MO today at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the following links to see some of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Grain Valley, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice cases are infamously tough to win. That is why you need excellent medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, perseverance and prowess to win you the maximum compensation you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get to work on your claim immediately
- Connect you with trustworthy and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical attention you are owed
- Perform a comprehensive investigation, including acquiring medical records, expert testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Converse with our team of Grain Valley, MO medical experts to demonstrate standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the treatment you received was not up to the standard and prove negligence
- Offer thoughtful, sound and honest legal direction
- Make sure you informed throughout your suit so you are aware of what is going on and have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can spend your energy on healing
- Converse with with economic experts to ascertain exactly how much your claim is worth
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to deliver you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to court when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most residents of Grain Valley, MO does not have access to the resources and legal know-how to counter the expensive defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. That is why our Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. We accept no attorneys fees until we get you the full financial recovery you are owed. We have dedicated our careers to making certain that the injured and vulnerable in Grain Valley, MO have access to the highest standard of legal representation, one that rivals and surpasses that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every obstacle standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by healthcare institution or physician constitutes malpractice. In order to receive a financial recovery for improper care in Grain Valley, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was intiated. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is typically very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a capable healthcare professional in the same field, in the same geographical location treating the same medical issue, would not have made the same mistake.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused you injured. This is often difficult to prove, as patients under a physician's care are customarily already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they should be compensated for. This can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical costs, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also be required to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your lawsuit, under Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that states that a) the doctor did not offer the care that a careful healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the negligence contributed to the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of accomplished and qualified medical connections in Grain Valley and throughout Missouri who will help authenticate your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Grain Valley, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive typically falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the monetary loss you have experienced because of a doctor's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence resulted in a disability that does not allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example:
- Follow up appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every penny that you deserve. We know that some injuries are impossible to fully recover from, but we fight to make sure that you are made whole again.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of important manners. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you maneuver damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to reduce insurance premiums for medical liability. The bill puts in place "damage caps" on how much compensation you can be awarded in a medical malpractice claim in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Grain Valley, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be considered catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 states that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Grain Valley, MO?
If you or someone you care about were harmed by a physician's substandard care in Grain Valley, MO, it is critical to reach out to medical malpractice lawyers at once. While most personal injury cases have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a time limit of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that following an injury from medical negligence your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three important exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your family member was a minor at the time of the malpractice, you have until they turn 20.
Do not delay. Reach out to the Burger Law Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers straight away. We get working on your case right away and do not stop until you have been fully compensated . Waiting could create difficulties for your case and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to prove the full extent of your damages. Call Burger Law's Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers mow at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Grain Valley, MO
No one deserves to have their life disrupted because a physician was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in Grain Valley, MO. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let healthcare professionals, large hospitals abuse your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Grain Valley, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.