They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Hazelwood, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Hazelwood, Missouri. If you or a family member were hurt because a healthcare professional did not offer you the proper care that you deserved, call Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or complete our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get the best possible results for the injured and vulnerable in Hazelwood and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a physician, medical institution or other healthcare professional in Hazelwood, MO disregarded your health. When we seek medical care, we do so believing that we are placing our well-being — and at times even our lives — in proficient hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or harm as a result, trust in the experienced and savvy Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to deliver you justice and great financial compensation. Not only are we sympathetic and committed to the injured in Hazelwood, MO, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the at-fault doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we are persistent and will accept nothing but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have ruinous, permanent consequences, and in the most tragic cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience pushing back against bullies and getting the best possible results for the injured, we have won our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a loved one has been hurt by a thoughtless medical professional in Hazelwood, MO, call Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers straight away at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Hazelwood, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all fatalities in the United States are because of medical error. Just one percent of physicians are responsible for almost 33 percent of medical malpractice cases. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to continue practicing without any punishment. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold negligent doctors accountable, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff receiving damages. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was awarded in medical malpractice cases. You need committed and seasoned Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to ensure you get the best possible financial recovery you deserve.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Hazelwood, MO Can Hold Responsible in Your Case
We frequently immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be culpable of medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice cases are often intricate; it may not be clear straight away who was liable, or many parties could be to blame. The dependable and knowledgeable Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into your claim and make certain that every party that caused you harm is held accountable for their thoughtless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Hazelwood, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional breaks the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same practice area and same geographic location would have care for your health problems. Our Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that take place in myriad ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits related to outpatient care. About 12 million people in United States are misdiagnosed each year. Catching medical issues early on is critical in realizing the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can lead to a delay to the care you desperately require to become healthier, or can result in unsuitable care that exacerbates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most serious health conditions, including:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most common medical malpractice case related to in-hospital care. There are at least 4,000 surgical mistakes in the U.S. annually, and frighteningly, the most common instance is performing surgery on an erroneous body part. Other examples can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address difficulties arising from the surgery.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die every year owing to medication errors. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving the wrong dosage or failing to recognize interactions with other drugs.
Another example of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a main factor in the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs approximately $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and learned that doctors themselves think that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than a fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- More than a fifth of medical treatment in general
Unnecessary care can lead to surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
About 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States sustain a significant birth injury Annually. Not properly monitoring the child throughout delivery, not correctly using birthing techniques or not identifying a health condition of the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can result in long-term or lifelong consequences.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act determined a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to shield and guarantee their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home or its staff neglects those rights and the person you care about is consequently injured, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them accountable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has an innate right to make decisions for ourselves. When a physician fails to inform you of risks, or neglects to obtain your consent before a procedure, it is a serious breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the terrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's negligence can cause, and the exasperation and grief that comes with discovering that your trust was broken. We hold negligent doctors to blame and secure our Hazelwood, MO clients the full financial recovery they deserve and need to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical knowledge and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor violated the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Hazelwood, MO immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Browse the following links to see some of the latest victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have won for our clients in Hazelwood, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice claims are notoriously hard to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, determination and savvy to deliver you the best possible financial recovery you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Begin working on your claim right away
- Connect you with trustworthy and accomplished physicians to finally get you the medical attention you deserve
- Carry out a full investigation, including gathering medical records, professional testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Converse with our team of Hazelwood, MO medical experts to determine standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the care you were provided with was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer compassionate, knowledgeable and trustworthy legal counsel
- Keep you informed through the duration of your claim so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Oversee every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Converse with with economic experts to determine precisely how much your claim is worth
- Negotiate with the insurance company to deliver you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to court when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Hazelwood, MO does not have access to the resources and legal expertise to oppose the high-priced defense teams of doctors and large insurance companies. That is why our Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We accept no attorneys fees until we get you the maximum financial recovery you deserve. We have dedicated our lives to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Hazelwood, MO have access to the highest quality legal representation, one that rivals and surpasses that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every hurdle standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by medical institution or physician amounts to malpractice. In order to be awarded a financial recovery for negligent treatment in Hazelwood, MO, you must prove four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you prove that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was intiated. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is commonly not difficult to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was breached the standard of care. You need to be able to show that a competent doctor in the same field, in the same geographical location caring for the same medical issue, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s breach of the standard of care directly caused the injury. This is often hard to prove, as patients being treated by a doctor are usually already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they need to be compensated for. This can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical bills, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also be required to include an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that says that a) the doctor did not give you the care that a prudent healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the failure contributed to the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of experienced and qualified medical connections in Hazelwood and throughout Missouri who will help validate your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Hazelwood, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive usually falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the monetary damages you have experienced owing to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which try to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence led to a disability that does not permit you to conduct the duties of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including:
- Follow up appointments
- Physical therapy
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every dime that you deserve. We know that some injuries are impossible to truly recover from, but we fight to ensure that you get justice.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of crucial aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to diminish insurance premiums for physicians and hospitals. The bill puts in place "damage caps" on how much compensation you can collect in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Hazelwood, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to carry out daily tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be seen as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 says that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Hazelwood, MO?
If you or someone you love were hurt by a medical professional's negligence in Hazelwood, MO, it is key to reach out to medical malpractice lawyers right away. While most personal injury cases have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice claims only have a statute of limitations of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been harmed your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your loved one was under 18 at the time of the malpractice, you have until their 20th birthday.
There is no time to delay. Call the Burger Law Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers now. We start working on your case right away and do not stop until you receive full compensation . Waiting could create complications your claim and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to demonstrate the full effects of your damages. Call Burger Law's Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Hazelwood, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a doctor was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work tirelessly to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let medical professionals, large corporations take advantage of your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Hazelwood, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.