They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Jackson, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Jackson, Missouri. If you or a family member were hurt because a healthcare professional did not provide you with the adequate care that you were owed, call Burger Law straight away at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get the best possible financial recoveries for our clients in Jackson and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a physician, medical institution or other medical professional in Jackson, MO gave you substandard care. When we get medical attention, we do so believing that we are placing our well-being — and at times even our lives — in trustworthy hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or harm as a result, believe in the veteran and talented Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to get you justice and the best possible financial recovery. Not only are we compassionate and dedicated to the injured in Jackson, MO, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the negligent doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want medical professionals and their insurance company to understand that we mean business and will accept nothing but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have catastrophic, permanent repercussions, and in the most tragic circumstances can even result in wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience pushing back against bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you care about has been harmed by a thoughtless physician in Jackson, MO, call Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See the potential value of your claim by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Jackson, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
A study by John Hopkins Medicine found that 10 percent of all deaths in the United States are because of medical error. Just one percent of physicians account for about 33 percent of medical malpractice claims. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to continue practicing without any repercussions. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors responsible, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff being awarded compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need committed and accomplished Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you recover the maximum financial recovery you deserve.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Jackson, MO Can Hold To Blame in Your Case
We usually automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be to blame for medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice claims are typically complicated; it may not be clear right away who was responsible, or many parties might be responsible. The trustworthy and knowledgeable Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into your claim and make certain that every party that caused you harm is held accountable for their reckless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Jackson, MO
Medical negligence takes place when a healthcare professional breaks the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same field and same geographic location would have addressed your health issue. Our Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that occur in a variety of ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits related to outpatient care. About 12 million people in U.S. are misdiagnosed every year. Diagnosing health problems early on is significant in attaining the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can lead to a delay to the treatment you acutely require to become healthier, or can lead to incorrect care that exacerbates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most deadly health conditions, for instance:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most common medical malpractice claim related to inpatient care. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical errors in the U.S. annually, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on an incorrect organ. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia errors, foreign objects like scissors remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to treat difficulties surface after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die annually due to medication errors. Examples can include not being aware of a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving an incorrect dosage or not identifying interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a major factor in the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine asked 2,106 physicians and found that doctors themselves believe that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- 22 percent of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- More than a tenth of procedures
- Over one-fifth of all medical treatment
Unneeded treatment can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States experience a significant birth injury Annually. Not correctly observing the baby during delivery, not appropriately implementing birthing techniques or not identifying a health condition with the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can lead to long-term or permanent health conditions.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act determined a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to shield and guarantee their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home institution or staff disregards those rights and the person you love is harmed as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them responsible.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has a fundamental right to make choices for ourselves. When a physician fails to inform you of risks, or does not obtain your consent before a procedure, it is a serious infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the terrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's negligence can cause, and the rage and grief that comes with finding out that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors accountable and get our Jackson, MO clients the full compensation they are owed and that they need to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have extensive medical comprehension and will be able to discover exactly how your doctor breached the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Jackson, MO immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the following links to see several of the recent successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have won for our clients in Jackson, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice cases are notably tough to win. That is why you need stellar medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, persistence and savvy to secure you the full financial recovery you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get started on your case straight away
- Connect you with trusted and accomplished physicians to finally get you the medical attention you deserve
- Conduct a full investigation, including obtaining medical records, expert testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Converse with our network of Jackson, MO medical experts to ascertain standard of care in your case, show how the care you received was below standard and prove negligence
- Offer compassionate, knowledgeable and straightforward legal counsel
- Keep you informed throughout your claim so you are aware of what is going on and have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Oversee every legal aspect of your case so you can spend your energy on recovering
- Confer with with economic experts to precisely value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company to secure you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most residents of Jackson, MO does not have the resources and legal proficiency to oppose the high-priced defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. For that reason, our Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not owe us any fees until we get you the best possible financial recovery you are owed. We have pledged our careers to ensuring that the injured and vulnerable in Jackson, MO have access to the highest standard of legal advocacy, one that matches and eclipses that of large corporations. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to abolish every hindrance standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by healthcare institution or physician constitutes malpractice. In order to get compensation for negligent treatment in Jackson, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is commonly very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was breached the standard of care. You need to be able to prove that a capable physician in the same field, in the same geographical location treating the same medical problem, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused you injured. This can often be tough to prove, as patients under a doctor’s care are customarily already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. This can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical bills, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also need to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, under Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that says that a) the doctor did not provide the care that a prudent healthcare provider would have under similar circumstances, and b) the failure caused the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of experienced and professional medical connections in Jackson and throughout Missouri who will help verify your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Jackson, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you collect typically falls into two categories: economic damages, which are meant to compensate you for the monetary loss you have experienced owing to a doctor's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which try to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence led to an impairment that does not allow you to perform the duties of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance:
- Follow up appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical therapy
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every dime that you are owed. We know that you can never fully heal from some injuries, but we fight to make certain that you are made whole again.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in two important manners. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you understand damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to diminish insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much you can be awarded in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Jackson, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are higher because they affect your ability to perform daily tasks and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be considered catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Jackson, MO?
If you or a family member were injured by a doctor's substandard care in Jackson, MO, it is crucial to contact medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury cases have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice suits only have a time limit of two years, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been hurt your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor did not inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your loved one was under 18 on the date of the substandard care, you have until their 20th birthday.
Do not wait. Call the Burger Law Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers today. We get working on your case at once and do not stop until you have been fully compensated . Waiting could bring difficulties to your claim and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full consequences of your damages. Call Burger Law's Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Jackson, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a physician was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in Jackson, MO. We fight hard for our clients and work tirelessly to get them the great results they need to move forward with their lives. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let doctors, large corporations take advantage of your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Jackson, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.