They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Marceline, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Marceline, Missouri. If you or someone you love were harmed because a physician did not give you the adequate care that you were owed, call Burger Law now at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get great financial recoveries for the injured in Marceline and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a doctor, medical institution or other healthcare professional in Marceline, MO disregarded your health. When we seek medical care, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our health — and occasionally even our lives — in proficient hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or injuries as a consequence, believe in the seasoned and skilled Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to get you justice and a full compensation. Not only are we sympathetic and committed to our Marceline, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the negligent doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we are driven and will not take anything but full compensation. Negligent health care can have ruinous, life-long repercussions, and in the most tragic cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience standing up to bullies and getting the best possible results for our clients, we have won our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you love has been injured by a thoughtless doctor in Marceline, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers straight away at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See the potential value of your claim by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Marceline, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one in ten of all deaths in the U.S. are owing to medical error. Just one percent of doctors are responsible for about a third of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to keep practicing without any penalty. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold negligent doctors to blame, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice cases end with the plaintiff recovering damages. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice cases. You need devoted and seasoned Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make certain you are awarded the best possible compensation you deserve.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Marceline, MO Can Hold Liable in Your Claim
We often automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be liable for medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice lawsuits are often intricate; it may not be immediately clear who was responsible, or many people may be at fault. The trusted and knowledgeable Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into your injuries and make certain that each party that caused you injuries is held responsible for their careless behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Marceline, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same practice area and same geographic location would have care for your health issue. Our Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most common reason for medical malpractice claims related to outpatient treatment. Roughly 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed each year. Catching medical problems early on is key in realizing the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can result in a delay to the care you acutely require to get better, or can cause improper treatment that exacerbates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most severe health conditions, for instance:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for cardiac events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most common medical malpractice claim related to in-hospital treatment. There are at least 4,000 surgical mistakes in the United States every year, and frighteningly, the most common instance is performing surgery on an erroneous organ. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like scissors being left inside the patient, infections or failure to treat complications show up after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die every year due to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not being aware of a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving an incorrect dosage or failing to identify interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a substantial contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion each year. John Hopkins Medicine asked 2,106 doctors and discovered that physicians themselves are under the impression that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than a fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- Over a tenth of procedures
- More than one-fifth of all medical treatment
Unneeded treatment can cause surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a serious birth injury each year. Not appropriately observing the infant throughout delivery, not appropriately utilizing birthing procedures or not identifying a health problem of the mother during pregnancy are all instances of medical negligence that can result in long-term or lifelong health problems.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act put in place a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to shield and confirm their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home or its staff does not ensure those rights and your family member is harmed as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them responsible.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has an inherent right to make choices for ourselves. When a physician fails to inform you of risks, or does not obtain your consent before a procedure, it is a serious infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the horrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's carelessness can cause, and the exasperation and sorrow that comes with discovering that your trust was broken. We hold negligent doctors accountable and get our Marceline, MO clients the maximum compensation they deserve and need to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have extensive medical knowledge and will be able to discover precisely how your doctor breached the standard of care. Reach out to our medical malpractice lawyers in Marceline, MO at once at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the following links to see some of the recent victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Marceline, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice lawsuits are notoriously hard to win. That is why you need stellar medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, determination and prowess to get you the great financial recovery you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Begin working on your claim at once
- Connect you with honest and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical care you deserve
- Conduct a complete investigation, including collecting medical records, qualified testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Work alongside our team of Marceline, MO medical experts to substantiate standard of care in your case, show how the care you were provided with was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer compassionate, informed and trustworthy legal advice
- Keep you informed through the duration of your suit so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on healing
- Confer with with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to get you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Marceline, MO does not have access to the resources and legal knowledge to fight the expensive defense teams of doctors and large corporations. That is why our Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We charge no attorneys fees until we get you the best possible financial recovery you are owed. We have devoted our careers to making certain that the injured and vulnerable in Marceline, MO have access to the highest quality legal representation, one that equals and exceeds that of large insurance companies. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to remove every hurdle standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error committed by medical professional constitutes malpractice. In order to get compensation for substandard care in Marceline, MO, you must conclusively show four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a competent physician in the same practice area, in the same geographical location treating the same health problem, would not have made the same mistake.
- The doctor’s negligence directly caused the injury. This is often tough to prove, as patients under a doctor’s care are usually already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. Instances can include physical pain, a disability, additional medical bills, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also be required to include an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your claim, under Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a healthcare professional in the same field that says that a) the doctor did not offer the treatment that a careful healthcare provider would have under similar circumstances, and b) the failure caused the alleged damages. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a large network of experienced and qualified medical connections in Marceline and throughout Missouri who will help back up your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Marceline, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive typically falls into two categories: economic damages, which are meant to compensate you for the financial loss you have undergone owing to a doctor's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which look to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence resulted in an impairment that does not allow you to conduct the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance:
- Follow up appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work around the clock until you get every penny that you are owed. We know that some injuries are impossible to truly recover from, but we fight to ensure that your pain and suffering is alleviated.
Malpractice cases vary from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of important aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature put into law Senate Bill 239 in an effort to reduce insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much you can be awarded in a medical malpractice lawsuit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those caps are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Marceline, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to carry out daily tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be considered catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 says that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Marceline, MO?
If you or a family member were injured by a physician's negligence in Marceline, MO, it is key to reach out to medical malpractice lawyers right away. While most personal injury claims have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a statute of limitations of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been hurt your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three important exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor did not inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your family member was under 18 at the time of the malpractice, you have until their 20th birthday.
There is no time to delay. Call the Burger Law Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately. We get started on your case right away and do not stop until you have been fully compensated . Waiting could bring difficulties to your claim and could make it difficult for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full scope of your damages. Call Burger Law's Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Marceline, MO
No one deserves to have their life turned upside down because a doctor gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let physicians, large corporations manipulate your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Marceline, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.