They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Maryville, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Maryville, Missouri. If you or someone you care about were injured because a physician did not provide you with the proper care that you were owed, call Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get great financial recoveries for our clients in Maryville and throughout Missouri.
You should not have to pay because a physician, medical institution or other medical professional in Maryville, MO did not respect your health. When we seek medical care, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our health — and occasionally even our lives — in proficient hands. When doctors are negligent , leaving you with even worse sickness or injuries as a consequence, trust in the seasoned and skilled Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to deliver you justice and a full compensation. Not only are we understanding and dedicated to our Maryville, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the at-fault doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want medical professionals and their insurance company to know that we are driven and will accept nothing but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have devastating, life-long consequences, and in the worst cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience fighting back against bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have secured our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a family member has been hurt by a careless physician in Maryville, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers right away at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by using our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Maryville, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that one in ten of all fatalities nationwide are owing to medical error. Just one percent of doctors account for just about 33 percent of medical malpractice cases. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any penalty. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold at-fault doctors accountable, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff receiving compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was awarded in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need devoted and experienced Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you recover the full financial recovery you are owed.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Maryville, MO Can Hold Liable in Your Claim
We often automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be culpable of medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice suits are frequently complicated; it may not be immediately clear who was at fault, or many parties could be accountable. The dependable and savvy Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into your claim and make sure that each party that caused you harm is held responsible for their thoughtless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Maryville, MO
Medical negligence transpires when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same field and same geographic location would have care for your health issue. Our Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in myriad ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits related to out-of-hospital treatment. About 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed every year. Diagnosing health problems early on is crucial in achieving the most favorable outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can cause a delay to the care you desperately need to become healthier, or can lead to inappropriate treatment that compounds your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most grave health conditions, for instance:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most frequent medical malpractice claim when it comes to in-hospital treatment. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical mistakes in the United States each year, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on the wrong organ. Other instances can include accidental cuts, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like scissors being left inside the patient, infections or failure to treat difficulties emerge after the surgery.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die each year because of mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving the wrong dosage or not identifying interactions with other drugs.
Another instance of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a main contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs roughly $210 billion each year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and found that physicians themselves are of the opinion that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is unnecessary, including:
- Over one-fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- Over one-fifth of medical treatment in general
Unneeded treatment can lead to surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
About 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a serious birth injury Annually. Not correctly monitoring the child during delivery, not appropriately using birthing procedures or not identifying a health problem of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical malpractice that can lead to long-term or lifelong health issues.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act determined a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to shield and confirm their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home or its staff does not ensure those rights and the person you love is harmed as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them accountable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have an innate right to make choices for ourselves. When a doctor fails to inform you of risks, or neglects to secure your consent before treatment, it is a horrible breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every variety of malpractice lawsuit. We know the devastating consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's negligence can cause, and the anger and grief that comes with finding out that your trust was broken. We hold at-fault doctors liable and deliver our Maryville, MO clients the full financial recovery they deserve and need to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical knowledge and will be able to discover precisely how your doctor violated the standard of care. Get in touch with our medical malpractice lawyers in Maryville, MO at once at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the following links to see some of the recent victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have gotten for our clients in Maryville, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice cases are infamously tough to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, perseverance and skills to secure you the best possible compensation you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Start working on your claim immediately
- Connect you with trusted and competent physicians to finally get you the medical treatment you need
- Perform a comprehensive investigation, including procuring medical records, qualified testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Work with our network of Maryville, MO medical experts to establish standard of care in your case, show how the care you were provided with was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer empathetic, knowledgeable and dependable legal advice
- Keep you informed through the duration of your suit so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can spend your energy on recovering
- Consult with with economic experts to precisely value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company to get you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Maryville, MO does not have the resources and legal expertise to counter the expensive defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. For that reason, our Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay us anything until we get you the maximum financial recovery you deserve. We have devoted our careers to making certain that the injured and vulnerable in Maryville, MO have access to the highest standard of legal advocacy, one that matches and exceeds that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to remove every obstacle standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by medical professional amounts to malpractice. In order to get a financial recovery for substandard care in Maryville, MO, you must conclusively show four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you demonstrate that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was intiated. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is commonly not difficult to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to demonstrate that a capable medical professional in the same practice area, in the same geographical location caring for the same health condition, would not have made the same error.
- The doctor’s breach of the standard of care directly caused the injury. This is often difficult to prove, as patients under a doctor’s care are generally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. Instances can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical bills, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also need to include an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your claim, following Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that says that a) the doctor did not give you the care that a careful healthcare provider would have under the same circumstances, and b) the failure caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a wealth of experienced and professional medical connections in Maryville and throughout Missouri who will help verify your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Maryville, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you collect generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which are intended to compensate you for the monetary loss you have experienced due to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which are meant to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have affected your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence led to a disability that does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example:
- Follow up appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every dime that you deserve. We know that some injuries are impossible to fully recover from, but we fight to make sure that your pain and suffering is alleviated.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of essential details. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to lessen insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill enforces "damage caps" on how much you can recover in a medical malpractice lawsuit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Maryville, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The limits for catastrophic injuries are greater because they impact your ability to carry out basic tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be considered catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 says that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Maryville, MO?
If you or someone you care about were harmed by a healthcare professional's negligence in Maryville, MO, it is key to get in touch with medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury cases have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a time limit of two years, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been injured your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three important exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you care about was a minor on the date of the substandard care, you have until they turn 20.
Do not delay. Get in touch with the Burger Law Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately. We begin working on your case right away and do not rest until you receive maximum compensation . Delaying could bring complications to your suit and could make it difficult for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to prove the full impacts of your damages. Call Burger Law's Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Maryville, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a physician gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in Maryville, MO. We fight hard for our clients and work relentlessly to get them the great results they need to move forward with their lives. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let healthcare professionals, large hospitals exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Maryville, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.