They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Mehlville, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Mehlville, Missouri. If you or someone you love were harmed because a healthcare professional did not offer you the proper treatment that you deserved, call Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or complete our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get the best possible results for the vulnerable in Mehlville and throughout Missouri.
You should not have to pay because a doctor, medical institution or other medical professional in Mehlville, MO broke the rules. When we seek medical attention, we do so believing that we are placing our well-being — and at times even our lives — in dependable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or injuries as a consequence, believe in the accomplished and savvy Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to get you justice and the best possible financial recovery. Not only are we empathetic and committed to our Mehlville, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we are driven and will accept nothing but full compensation. Negligent health care can have horrible, life-long repercussions, and in the most tragic cases can even cause wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience standing up to bullies and getting great results for our clients, we have won our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a family member has been injured by a thoughtless medical professional in Mehlville, MO, call Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by using our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Mehlville, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all fatalities in the United States are owing to medical error. Just one percent of doctors are responsible for almost 33 percent of medical malpractice claims. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to keep practicing without any consequences. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors responsible, you can be certain the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice cases end with the plaintiff recovering compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was awarded in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need dedicated and accomplished Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you are awarded the maximum financial recovery you are owed.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Mehlville, MO Can Hold Liable in Your Case
We usually immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be culpable of medical negligence in your case. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice cases are typically complicated; it may not be clear right away who was responsible, or many people may be accountable. The dependable and talented Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into your case and ensure that every party that caused you injuries is held accountable for their negligent actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Mehlville, MO
Medical negligence takes place when a healthcare professional violates the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same practice area and same geographic location would have treated your health problems. Our Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in a variety of ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits related to out-of-hospital care. More or Less 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed each year. Diagnosing medical issues early on is often a deciding factor in attaining the best possible results for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can result in a delay to the treatment you desperately require to become healthier, or can result in incorrect care that compounds your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most deadly health conditions, including:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical mistakes are the most frequent medical malpractice claim when it comes to in-hospital care. There are at least 4,000 surgical errors in the United States annually, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on an incorrect organ. Other examples can include accidental cuts, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to treat difficulties arising from the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die each year due to medication errors. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving an incorrect dosage or neglecting to recognize interactions with other drugs.
Another instance of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a significant contributor to the opioid crisis in the U.S.
Unnecessary medical care costs about $210 billion annually. John Hopkins Medicine asked 2,106 doctors and discovered that doctors themselves think that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is unnecessary, including:
- More than one-fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- More than one-tenth of procedures
- 20.6 percent of all medical care
Unnecessary care can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a serious birth injury Annually. Not correctly monitoring the child throughout delivery, not correctly utilizing birthing techniques or not identifying a health condition of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical negligence that can cause long-term or lifelong health issues.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act put in place a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and confirm their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home or its staff neglects those rights and the person you care about is consequently harmed, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them responsible.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has an inherent right to make decisions for ourselves. When a medical professional fails to inform you of risks, or fails to obtain your consent before a procedure, it is an outrageous violation of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the horrible consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's thoughtlessness can cause, and the exasperation and grief that accompanies finding out that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors accountable and deliver our Mehlville, MO clients the great financial recovery they are owed and that they require to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have vast medical comprehension and will be able to discover exactly how your doctor breached the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Mehlville, MO at once at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Browse the following links to see several of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have gotten for our clients in Mehlville, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
How Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Help
Medical malpractice suits are notably hard to win. That is why you need excellent medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, persistence and talent to deliver you the maximum financial recovery you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get working on your case right away
- Connect you with trustworthy and capable doctors to finally get you the medical attention you need
- Conduct a full investigation, including gathering medical records, professional testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Consult with our team of Mehlville, MO medical experts to determine standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the treatment you were provided with was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer sympathetic, wise and direct legal counsel
- Keep you informed through the duration of your claim so you are not left in the dark and you know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on healing
- Work with with economic experts to precisely value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company to deliver you a full settlement offer
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most people in Mehlville, MO does not have the resources and legal proficiency to combat the expensive defense teams of doctors and large corporations. For that reason, our Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay us any fees until we get you the great financial recovery you are owed. We have committed our careers to ensuring that the injured and vulnerable in Mehlville, MO have access to the highest standard of legal representation, one that rivals and eclipses that of large insurance companies. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to remove every hurdle standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error carried out by medical professional constitutes malpractice. In order to collect a financial recovery for improper care in Mehlville, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally not difficult to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a capable doctor in the same practice area, in the same geographical location caring for the same health issue, would not have made the same mistake.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused the injury. This can frequently be difficult to prove, as patients being treated by a doctor are normally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. Instances can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical bills, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also be required to offer an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, following Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a healthcare professional in the same field that opines that a) the doctor did not provide the treatment that a careful healthcare provider would have under the same circumstances, and b) the failure caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a large network of experienced and qualified medical connections in Mehlville and throughout Missouri who will help confirm your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Mehlville, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you collect typically falls into two categories: economic damages, which try to compensate you for the financial damages you have experienced due to a physician's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence led to a disability that does not allow you to carry out the duties of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every dime that you deserve. We know that you can never truly heal from some injuries, but we fight to ensure that you get justice.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of essential aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to diminish insurance premiums for medical liability. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much you can be awarded in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Mehlville, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they impact your ability to carry out basic tasks and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you ascertain if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Mehlville, MO?
If you or someone you love were injured by a healthcare professional's negligence in Mehlville, MO, it is vital to get in touch with medical malpractice lawyers at once. While most personal injury claims have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice lawsuits only have a time limit of two years, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been injured your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your loved one was a minor on the date of the malpractice, you have until they turn 20.
Do not delay. Get in touch with the Burger Law Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers now. We get to work on your case at once and do not rest until you have been fully compensated . Waiting could bring difficulties to your claim and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full effects of your damages. Call Burger Law's Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers mow at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Mehlville, MO
No one deserves to have their life disrupted because a healthcare professional gave them substandard care. Burger Law's Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work tirelessly to get them the great results they need to be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let physicians, large hospitals abuse your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Mehlville, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.