They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Nevada, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Nevada, Missouri. If you or a loved one were hurt because a doctor did not give you the adequate treatment that you were owed, call Burger Law right away at (314) 500-HURT or complete our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get the best possible results for our clients in Nevada and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a doctor, medical institution or other medical professional in Nevada, MO broke the rules. When we get medical attention, we do so under the assumption that we are placing our health — and occasionally even our lives — in dependable hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse illnesses or harm as a result, trust in the veteran and savvy Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to deliver you justice and maximum financial compensation. Not only are we understanding and devoted to the injured in Nevada, MO, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the negligent doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to know that we are serious and will accept nothing but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have terrible, permanent consequences, and in the most tragic cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience fighting back against bullies and getting the best possible results for the injured, we have secured our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a loved one has been harmed by a negligent doctor in Nevada, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by using our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Nevada, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that 10 percent of all deaths in the U.S. are because of medical error. Just one percent of physicians account for nearly 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any punishment. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors to blame, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits end with the plaintiff receiving damages. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice cases. You need dedicated and accomplished Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to ensure you get the best possible financial recovery you deserve.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Nevada, MO Can Hold Responsible in Your Claim
We frequently automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many parties that may be guilty of medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice lawsuits are typically complex; it may not be immediately clear who was responsible, or many parties might be accountable. The dependable and knowledgeable Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into your claim and make certain that every party that caused you injuries is held accountable for their careless behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Nevada, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same field and same geographic location would have addressed your health issue. Our Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in many different ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice suits that take place in outpatient treatment. Roughly 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Diagnosing health issues early on is imperative in achieving the best possible outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can lead to a delay to the care you desperately need to become healthier, or can result in incorrect care that aggravates your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most severe health conditions, for example:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most frequent medical malpractice claim related to inpatient treatment. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical errors nationwide annually, and frighteningly, the most common source is performing surgery on an erroneous body part. Other examples can include accidental incisions, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address issues arising from the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people nationwide die every year owing to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving the wrong dosage or neglecting to identify interactions with other drugs.
Another example of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a substantial factor in the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion each year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 doctors and learned that physicians themselves are under the impression that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- Over one-fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- 20.6 percent of medical care in general
Unneeded care can result in surgical mistakes, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Roughly 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States sustain a serious birth injury Annually. Not properly observing the baby during birth, not appropriately using birthing procedures or not diagnosing a health issue of the mother during pregnancy are all examples of medical malpractice that can result in long-term or permanent consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act created a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to safeguard and secure their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home institution or staff does not ensure those rights and the person you love is consequently harmed, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them liable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have a basic right to make decisions for ourselves. When a doctor does not inform you of risks, or neglects to obtain your consent before treatment, it is an outrageous infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every type of malpractice case. We know the ruinous repercussions a healthcare professional's or institution's carelessness can cause, and the anger and grief that comes with discovering that your trust was betrayed. We hold negligent doctors to blame and deliver our Nevada, MO clients the best possible compensation they are owed and that they need to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have exhaustive medical knowledge and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor breached the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Nevada, MO now at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the links below to see some of the latest successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have gotten for our clients in Nevada, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice claims are notoriously tough to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, determination and savvy to win you the best possible compensation you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Begin working on your case straight away
- Connect you with trustworthy and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical treatment you are owed
- Perform a full investigation, including procuring medical records, professional testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Work with our team of Nevada, MO medical experts to determine standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the treatment you were provided with was below standard and prove negligence
- Offer empathetic, informed and honest legal guidance
- Keep you informed throughout your lawsuit so you are not left in the dark and you know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Oversee every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Work with with economic experts to determine exactly how much your claim is worth
- Negotiate with the insurance company to secure you a full settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most residents of Nevada, MO does not have access to the resources and legal comprehension to counter the high-priced defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. That is why our Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not owe us anything until we get you the great financial recovery you are owed. We have pledged our careers to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Nevada, MO have access to the highest quality legal representation, one that rivals and exceeds that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to eliminate every hindrance standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by medical professional amounts to malpractice. In order to collect compensation for negligent care in Nevada, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was determined. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is generally very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was violated the standard of care. You need to be able to prove that a capable physician in the same field, in the same geographical location caring for the same health condition, would not have committed the same mistake.
- The doctor’s breach of the standard of care directly caused the injury. This is often tough to prove, as patients under a physician's care are typically already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. Instances can include physical pain, a disability, additional medical expenses, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a healthcare professional in the same field that states that a) the doctor did not offer the treatment that a prudent healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the negligence contributed to the alleged damages. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of accomplished and qualified medical connections in Nevada and throughout Missouri who will help certify your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Nevada, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which try to compensate you for the monetary loss you have experienced owing to a doctor's negligence; and noneconomic damages, which look to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence led to an impairment that does not allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- Medication expenses
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every penny that you deserve. We know that some injuries are impossible to fully heal from, but we fight to ensure that you get justice.
Malpractice cases diverge from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of essential aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you understand damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to lessen insurance premiums for doctor's and hospitals. The bill puts in place "damage caps" on the amount you can be awarded in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Nevada, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are higher because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Nevada, MO?
If you or a loved one were injured by a doctor's negligence in Nevada, MO, it is essential to get in touch with medical malpractice lawyers straight away. While most personal injury cases have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a time limit of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been injured your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file your claim. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you care about was a minor on the date of the malpractice, you have until they turn 20.
Do not delay. Call the Burger Law Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers straight away. We get started on your case at once and do not stop until you collect maximum compensation . Waiting could bring difficulties to your case and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full extent of your damages. Call Burger Law's Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Nevada, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a physician was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Region. We fight hard for our clients and work around the clock to get them the great results they need to move forward with their lives. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let healthcare professionals, large hospitals exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Nevada, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.