They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Old Jamestown, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Old Jamestown, Missouri. If you or someone you love were harmed because a physician did not provide you with the proper care that you were owed, call Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get the best possible financial recoveries for the vulnerable in Old Jamestown and throughout Missouri.
You do not have to pay because a doctor, hospital or other healthcare professional in Old Jamestown, MO gave you substandard care. When we search out medical treatment, we do so believing that we are placing our well-being — and sometimes even our lives — in proficient hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or harm as a result, believe in the seasoned and talented Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to get you justice and the best possible compensation. Not only are we empathetic and committed to the injured in Old Jamestown, MO, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing lawsuits and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we mean business and will not take anything but full compensation. Negligent health care can have ruinous, permanent consequences, and in the most tragic circumstances can even cause wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience pushing back against bullies and getting great results for the injured, we have won our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or a loved one has been harmed by a careless physician in Old Jamestown, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Old Jamestown, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that one-tenth of all fatalities in the United States are owing to medical error. Just one percent of physicians are responsible for nearly a third of medical malpractice cases. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to continue practicing without any punishment. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors responsible, you can be sure the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than a third of medical malpractice claims end with the plaintiff receiving compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was awarded in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need dedicated and seasoned Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you get the best possible financial recovery you deserve.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Old Jamestown, MO Can Hold Accountable in Your Case
We usually immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many people or institutions that may be to blame for medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice cases are often intricate; it may not be immediately clear who was to blame, or many parties could be responsible. The dependable and knowledgeable Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into your injuries and make certain that each party that caused you harm is held accountable for their careless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Old Jamestown, MO
Medical negligence transpires when a healthcare professional disobeys the standard of care, which is how most doctors in the same field and same geographic location would have treated your health issue. Our Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in all sorts of ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice cases related to outpatient treatment. Roughly 12 million Americans are misdiagnosed annually. Diagnosing health issues early on is crucial in achieving the most favorable outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can result in a delay to the care you seriously require to become healthier, or can cause inappropriate care that worsens your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most deadly health conditions, including:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most common medical malpractice claim related to in-hospital treatment. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical mistakes nationwide every year, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on an erroneous body part. Other instances can include accidental incisions, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like instruments being left inside the patient, infections or failure to address complications show up after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die annually due to medication errors. Examples can include not being aware of a patient's allergies, giving the wrong medication, giving an incorrect dosage or not recognizing interactions with other drugs.
Medication errors can also include overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a major contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs approximately $210 billion every year. John Hopkins Medicine asked 2,106 physicians and discovered that doctors themselves think that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than one-fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- Over a fifth of medical care in general
Unneeded treatment can cause surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Roughly 6 to 8 out of a thousand children born in the United States suffer a serious birth injury each year. Not correctly observing the infant throughout delivery, not correctly utilizing birthing techniques or not diagnosing a health issue with the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can result in long-term or lifelong health problems.
Nursing Home Negligence
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act created a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and confirm their physical, emotional and social well-being. When a nursing home or its staff neglects those rights and the person you care about is consequently harmed, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them accountable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has an inherent right to make decisions for ourselves. When a doctor fails to inform you of risks, or does not secure your consent before a procedure, it is an egregious infringement on your rights.
At Burger Law, our Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the horrible repercussions a healthcare professional's or institution's carelessness can cause, and the exasperation and grief that accompanies learning that your trust was betrayed. We hold careless doctors to blame and deliver our Old Jamestown, MO clients the full financial recovery they are owed and that they need to move on and be made whole again. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical knowledge and will be able to determine exactly how your doctor breached the standard of care. Get in touch with our medical malpractice lawyers in Old Jamestown, MO right away at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Check out the following links to see some of the latest victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Old Jamestown, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice cases are notably tough to win. That is why you need stellar medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, persistence and skills to deliver you the maximum compensation you know you deserve. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get started on your claim straight away
- Connect you with trusted and capable doctors to finally get you the medical attention you need
- Conduct a complete investigation, including procuring medical records, expert testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Consult with our team of Old Jamestown, MO medical experts to demonstrate standard of care in your case, demonstrate how the care you were given was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer thoughtful, sound and dependable legal advice
- Make sure you informed throughout your lawsuit so you are aware of what is going on and know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Consult with with economic experts to precisely value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjusters to deliver you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case to trial when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most people in Old Jamestown, MO does not have access to the resources and legal knowledge to stand up to the high-priced defense teams of doctors and large insurance companies. That is why our Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We accept no attorneys fees until we get you the full compensation you are owed. We have committed our careers to making certain that the injured and vulnerable in Old Jamestown, MO have access to the highest standard of legal advocacy, one that compares with and eclipses that of large corporations. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every hurdle standing between you and justice.
What You Need in a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error carried out by healthcare institution or physician amounts to malpractice. In order to collect compensation for negligent treatment in Old Jamestown, MO, you must prove four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is commonly not hard to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a capable physician in the same field, in the same geographical location caring for the same health condition, would not have committed the same error.
- The doctor’s negligence directly caused you harm. This can often be difficult to prove, as patients under a doctor’s care are normally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. This can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical expenses, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also be required to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, according to Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a medical professional in the same practice area that states that a) the doctor did not provide the care that a careful healthcare provider would have under the same circumstances, and b) the negligence caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of accomplished and qualified medical connections in Old Jamestown and throughout Missouri who will help validate your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Get? | Old Jamestown, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which look to compensate you for the financial loss you have sustained owing to a doctor's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential if the medical negligence caused an impairment that does not permit you to conduct the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical therapy
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every penny that you are owed. We know that some injuries are impossible to really recover from, but we fight to ensure that you are made whole again.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of crucial details. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you maneuver damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature passed Senate Bill 239 in an effort to reduce insurance premiums for medical liability. The bill set "damage caps" on how much you can receive in a medical malpractice lawsuit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Old Jamestown, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The damage caps for catastrophic injuries are greater because they impact your ability to carry out daily tasks and to enjoy life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you establish if your injury can be viewed as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 says that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
What is the Statute of Limitations in a Medical Malpractice Claim in Old Jamestown, MO?
If you or someone you love were hurt by a healthcare professional's substandard care in Old Jamestown, MO, it is critical to call medical malpractice lawyers immediately. While most personal injury cases have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a statute of limitations of two years, under Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that following an injury from medical negligence your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three noteworthy exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor neglected to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you love was a minor on the date of the substandard care, you have until their 20th birthday.
There is no time to delay. Reach out to the Burger Law Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately. We begin working on your case at once and do not stop until you recover full compensation . Waiting could create complications your suit and could make it tough for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full effects of your damages. Call Burger Law's Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Old Jamestown, MO
No one deserves to have their life disrupted because a physician was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Midwest. We fight hard for our clients and work tirelessly to get them the great results they need to move forward with their lives. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let doctors, large hospitals manipulate your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Old Jamestown, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.