Medical Malpractice Lawyers Platte City,
You do not have to pay because a doctor, hospital or other medical professional in Platte City, MO broke the rules. When we search out medical care, we do so believing that we are placing our health — and sometimes even our lives — in competent hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or injuries as a consequence, trust in the seasoned and savvy Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to win you justice and maximum financial compensation. Not only are we sympathetic and devoted to our Platte City, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than most law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the liable doctor to take accountability. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to understand that we mean business and will not take anything but a full financial recovery. Negligent health care can have cataclysmic, life-long consequences, and in the worst cases can even result in wrongful death.
In our three decades of experience pushing back against bullies and getting great results for our clients, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you care about has been hurt by a thoughtless doctor in Platte City, MO, get in touch with Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers now at or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by using our free personal injury calculator.
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Platte City, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Data from John Hopkins Medicine found that one in ten of all fatalities in the U.S. are due to medical error. Just one percent of physicians account for nearly 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits. Too often, negligent doctors are permitted to keep practicing without any penalty. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold liable doctors responsible, you can be confident the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice cases end with the plaintiff collecting compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was paid out in medical malpractice lawsuits. You need committed and experienced Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you receive the full compensation you deserve.
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Platte City, MO Can Hold To Blame in Your Claim
We usually automatically think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many parties that may be liable for medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice claims are typically complex; it may not be clear straight away who was accountable, or many people could be at fault. The trustworthy and knowledgeable Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into your case and make certain that every party that caused you harm is held responsible for their negligent behavior.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Platte City, MO
Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional breaches the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same practice area and same geographic location would have addressed your health problems. Our Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that transpire in a variety of ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most common reason for medical malpractice claims that take place in out-of-hospital treatment. More or Less 12 million people in United States are misdiagnosed every year. Diagnosing medical problems early on is key in achieving the most favorable outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or missing a diagnosis, can lead to a delay to the care you acutely need to become healthier, or can cause incorrect care that compounds your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most life-threatening health conditions, including:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most common medical malpractice claim related to in-hospital care. There are at least 4,000 surgical errors in the U.S. annually, and frighteningly, the most common instance is operating on an erroneous body part. Other examples can include accidental cuts, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to address issues emerge after the surgery.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die each year due to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not knowing a patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving the wrong dosage or neglecting to identify interactions with other drugs.
Another instance of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies show that overprescribing is a substantial contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs an estimated $210 billion every year. John Hopkins Medicine surveyed 2,106 physicians and learned that physicians themselves are of the opinion that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than one-fifth of prescription medications
- Almost a quarter of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- More than one-fifth of all medical treatment
Unneeded care can lead to surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
Approximately 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States suffer a serious birth injury Annually. Not correctly monitoring the baby during delivery, not correctly utilizing birthing procedures or not diagnosing a health problem of the mother during pregnancy are all cases of medical malpractice that can cause long-term or permanent health problems.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act established a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to safeguard and ensure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home institution or staff does not respect those rights and the person you care about is injured as a result, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them liable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
Everyone has a fundamental right to make decisions for ourselves. When a doctor neglects to inform you of risks, or does not secure your consent before a procedure, it is an egregious violation of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers have experience with every kind of negligence case. We know the catastrophic consequences a healthcare professional's or institution's thoughtlessness can cause, and the exasperation and sorrow that comes with learning that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors to blame and win our Platte City, MO clients the full compensation they are owed and that they need to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have vast medical comprehension and will be able to pinpoint how your doctor violated the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Platte City, MO now at .
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the following links to see several of the recent successes Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have won for our clients in Platte City, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice lawsuits are notably difficult to win. That is why you need exceptional medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, perseverance and savvy to deliver you the best possible financial recovery you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Get started on your claim right away
- Connect you with honest and competent doctors to finally get you the medical care you deserve
- Carry out a comprehensive investigation, including collecting medical records, qualified testimony and taking official statements from the defendant
- Confer with our network of Platte City, MO medical experts to determine standard of care in your case, show how the treatment you were given was substandard and prove negligence
- Offer thoughtful, knowledgeable and dependable legal guidance
- Make sure you informed through the duration of your lawsuit so you are not left in the dark and you know everything you need to make the best decision for your family
- Handle every legal aspect of your case so you can focus your energy on recovering
- Converse with with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company to win you the best possible settlement offer
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury when the insurance company does not want to be fair in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that the average person in Platte City, MO does not have the resources and legal know-how to counter the expensive defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. That is why our Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis. We accept no attorneys fees until we get you the maximum compensation you deserve. We have devoted our careers to making sure that the injured and vulnerable in Platte City, MO have access to the highest standard of legal representation, one that compares with and exceeds that of large insurance companies. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every obstacle standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every mistake committed by healthcare institution or physician amounts to malpractice. In order to get compensation for substandard treatment in Platte City, MO, you must prove four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you show that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was established. This amounts to proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is usually very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to show that a capable medical professional in the same practice area, in the same geographical location treating the same medical problem, would not have made the same mistake.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused you injured. This is often tough to prove, as patients being treated by a physician are normally already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient harm that they need to be compensated for. Instances can include physical pain, a disability, additional medical bills, or loss of future earning potential.
In Missouri, you will also need to include an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your suit, following Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a legally qualified healthcare provider that says that a) the doctor did not offer the care that a careful healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the failure contributed to the alleged injuries. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a large network of accomplished and professional medical connections in Platte City and throughout Missouri who will help certify your claim.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Platte City, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you receive usually falls into two categories: economic damages, which are meant to compensate you for the monetary loss you have undergone due to a doctor's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which are intended to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence resulted in a disability that does not allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, such as:
- Follow up appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical therapy
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work relentlessly until you get every nickel that you deserve. We know that you can never fully recover from some injuries, but we fight to ensure that you get justice.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in a couple of crucial aspects. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you understand damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature put into law Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to decrease insurance premiums for medical negligence. The bill set "damage caps" on how much you can recover in a medical malpractice suit in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those limits are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Platte City, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The limits for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be seen as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 states that catastrophic injuries are:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Platte City, MO?
If you or a loved one were injured by a doctor's substandard care in Platte City, MO, it is critical to call medical malpractice lawyers immediately. While most personal injury claims have a statute of limitation of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice cases only have a time limit of two years, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that following an injury from medical negligence your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three important exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor failed to inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or your family member was under 18 on the date of the malpractice, you have until they turn 20.
Do not wait. Reach out to the Burger Law Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers today. We get to work on your case at once and do not rest until you receive the best possible compensation . Delaying could bring difficulties to your case and could make it hard for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to show the full impacts of your damages. Call Burger Law's Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers mow at .
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Platte City, MO
No one deserves to have their life upended because a doctor was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers comprise the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Midwest. We fight hard for our clients and work around the clock to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last three decades fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let physicians, large hospitals abuse your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Platte City, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.