They betrayed your trust. We get you maximum compensation.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Savannah, Missouri
Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Savannah, Missouri. If you or a family member were harmed because a healthcare professional did not offer you the competent treatment that you were owed, call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or complete our online form. Our medical malpractice lawyers always get the best possible financial recoveries for the injured in Savannah and throughout Missouri.
You should not have to pay because a physician, medical institution or other medical professional in Savannah, MO disregarded your health. When we search out medical treatment, we do so believing that we are placing our well-being — and sometimes even our lives — in proficient hands. When doctors are negligent and you end up with even worse sickness or harm as a result, trust in the accomplished and savvy Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law to deliver you justice and a full compensation. Not only are we empathetic and dedicated to our Savannah, MO clients, but we are more aggressive than the majority of law firms in filing litigation and not waiting around for the negligent doctor to take responsibility. Our medical malpractice lawyers want healthcare professionals and their insurance company to realize that we mean business and will accept nothing but the best possible financial recovery. Negligent health care can have ruinous, permanent consequences, and in the most tragic cases can even lead to wrongful death.
In our 30 years of experience fighting back against bullies and getting the best possible results for our clients, we have gotten our clients over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. If you or someone you love has been harmed by a negligent physician in Savannah, MO, reach out to Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers immediately at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online.
See how much your claim may be worth by filling out our free personal injury calculator.
100 Chesterfield Business Pkwy
Chesterfield, MO 63005
By appointment only
Phone: (314) 648-8348
Medical Malpractice Statistics | Savannah, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Research by John Hopkins Medicine found that one in ten of all fatalities nationwide are because of medical error. Just one percent of doctors are responsible for nearly a third of medical malpractice cases. Too often, negligent doctors are allowed to continue practicing without any punishment. But when the state of Missouri does not want to hold negligent doctors accountable, you can be certain the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will.
In Missouri, less than 33 percent of medical malpractice lawsuits end with the plaintiff receiving compensation. Still, between 2009 and 2018 a full $631.11 million was recovered in medical malpractice cases. You need devoted and seasoned Missouri medical malpractice lawyers to make sure you receive the maximum compensation you are owed.
Clear Medical Malpractice Violations
Click to view video
What Are the Top Medical Malpractice Claims?
Click to view video
How Do I File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
Click to view video
Who Your Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Savannah, MO Can Hold To Blame in Your Claim
We often immediately think of doctors when we think of medical malpractice, there are many parties that may be liable for medical negligence in your claim. The state of Missouri defines a “healthcare provider” as a
- Health maintenance organization
- Ambulatory surgical center
- Long-term care facility
- Registered or licensed practical nurse
- Professional physical therapist
- Physician-in-training, or
- Any other person or entity who provides health care services under the authority of a license or certificate
Malpractice lawsuits are typically complex; it may not be clear right away who was accountable, or many parties may be liable. The dependable and savvy Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will perform a complete investigation into your case and make certain that every party that caused you injuries is held accountable for their thoughtless actions.
Examples of Medical Malpractice in Savannah, MO
Medical negligence transpires when a healthcare professional breaks the standard of care, which is how a competent doctor in the same field and same geographic location would have treated your health issue. Our Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen that take place in myriad ways:
Failure to Diagnose or Misdiagnosis
This is the most frequent reason for medical malpractice claims related to out-of-hospital care. Roughly 12 million people in United States are misdiagnosed each year. Diagnosing health issues early on is significant in attaining the best possible outcome for a patient. A misdiagnosis, or failing to diagnose, can lead to a delay to the care you seriously need to become healthier, or can lead to incorrect care that worsens your illness or injury. Three-quarters of misdiagnoses are failing to diagnose some of the most life-threatening health conditions, for example:
- 37.8 percent for cancer
- 22.8 percent for vascular events
- 13.5 percent for infections
Surgical errors are the most frequent medical malpractice claim when it comes to in-hospital treatment. There are a minimum of 4,000 surgical mistakes nationwide every year, and frighteningly, the most common example is operating on the wrong organ. Other examples can include accidental incisions, anesthesia mistakes, foreign objects like instruments remaining inside the patient, infections or failure to treat issues show up after the procedure.
An estimated 7,000 to 9,000 people in the United States die every year owing to mistakes when administering medication. Examples can include not taking a record of the patient's allergies, giving an incorrect medication, giving the wrong dosage or neglecting to recognize interactions with other drugs.
Another instance of medication errors is overprescribing medications. Studies have found that overprescribing is a substantial contributor to the opioid crisis in the United States.
Unnecessary medical care costs roughly $210 billion every year. John Hopkins Medicine asked 2,106 physicians and discovered that physicians themselves are of the opinion that 15 to 30 percent of medical care is not needed, including:
- More than a fifth of prescription medications
- 24.9 percent of medical tests
- 11.1 percent of procedures
- More than a fifth of all medical care
Unneeded care can result in surgical errors, medication errors and overprescribed medication.
About 6 to 8 out of 1,000 children born in the United States experience a serious birth injury Annually. Not appropriately observing the baby throughout delivery, not appropriately implementing birthing techniques or not diagnosing a health condition with the mother during pregnancy are all instances of medical malpractice that can lead to long-term or permanent consequences.
Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
The 1987 Nursing Home Reform Act created a Bill of Rights for nursing home residents meant to protect and secure their physical, emotional and social health. When a nursing home institution or staff does not ensure those rights and your loved one is consequently injured, the medical malpractice lawyers of Burger Law will hold them liable.
Failure to Inform or Lack of Consent
We all have a basic right to make choices for ourselves. When a doctor fails to inform you of risks, or does not obtain your consent before a procedure, it is a horrible breach of your rights.
At Burger Law, our Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers have seen it all. We know the devastating repercussions a healthcare professional's or institution's thoughtlessness can cause, and the anger and sorrow that accompanies discovering that your trust was betrayed. We hold at-fault doctors to blame and get our Savannah, MO clients the maximum financial recovery they are owed and that they require to move on and fully recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers also have considerable medical knowledge and will be able to discover precisely how your doctor breached the standard of care. Call our medical malpractice lawyers in Savannah, MO today at (314) 500-HURT.
Can You Sue The Federal Government When Injured?
Can you sue the federal government when injured? What are federal tort cl …
What Compensation Will I Receive in My Birth Injury Lawsuit?
What Compensation Will I Receive in a Birth Injury Lawsuit? When your chi …
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case?
Who Can I Sue in a Medical Malpractice Case? Doctors are among the most t …
Medical Malpractice Cases Won
Take a look at the links below to see some of the recent victories Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers have secured for our clients in Savannah, MO:
- $1 Million Settlement for Family of a Man With Sepsis Infection
- $1 Million Settlement for Permanent Brain Injury
- $900,000 Settlement for Unnecessary Surgery Leading to Blindness in One Eye
- $200,000 Settlement for Misdiagnosis
- $175,000 Verdict for Surgical Error During a Cesarean Section
- Confidential Settlement for Failing to Diagnose Cancer and Lost Chance of Survival
- Confidential Settlement for Nursing Home Neglect
- Confidential Settlement for Wrongful Death Due to Fentanyl
What Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Missouri Can Do For You
Medical malpractice cases are infamously tough to win. That is why you need excellent medical malpractice lawyers that have the experience, knowledge, determination and talent to deliver you the great compensation you know you are owed. When you hire us, our Missouri medical malpractice lawyers:
- Begin working on your case at once
- Connect you with honest and accomplished doctors to finally get you the medical attention you need
- Carry out a comprehensive investigation, including obtaining medical records, expert testimony and taking depositions of the defendant
- Confer with our network of Savannah, MO medical experts to corroborate standard of care in your case, show how the care you received was below standard and prove negligence
- Offer empathetic, wise and straightforward legal counsel
- Keep you informed through the duration of your suit so you are not left in the dark and you have all the information you need to make the best decision for your family
- Manage every legal aspect of your case so you can focus on recovering
- Consult with with economic experts to exactly value your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company to deliver you a full settlement offer
- Take your case to court when the insurance company does not want to offer what you deserve in mediation
At Burger Law, we know that most people in Savannah, MO does not have the resources and legal knowledge to stand up to the expensive defense teams of doctors and large hospitals. For that reason, our Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not owe us anything until we get you the best possible compensation you are owed. We have devoted our lives to ensuring that the injured and vulnerable in Savannah, MO have access to the highest standard of legal representation, one that compares with and exceeds that of large hospitals. Our medical malpractice lawyers always work to get rid of every hurdle standing between you and justice.
Basic Requirements for a Medical Malpractice Claim
Not every error carried out by medical institution or doctor amounts to malpractice. In order to be awarded compensation for improper treatment in Savannah, MO, you must demonstrate four things. Your medical malpractice lawyers from Burger Law will help you demonstrate that:
- A doctor-patient relationship was determined. This means proof that you hired the doctor and the doctor agreed to be hired. This is typically very easy to prove.
- The doctor or healthcare provider was negligent. You need to be able to demonstrate that a capable healthcare professional in the same field, in the same geographical location caring for the same health problem, would not have made the same error.
- The doctor’s violation of the standard of care directly caused the injury. This can frequently be difficult to prove, as patients being treated by a doctor are typically already sick or injured.
- That the injury caused the patient damages. Instances can include physical pain, impairment, additional medical costs, or loss of earning capacity.
In Missouri, you will also need to provide an “Affidavit of Qualified Healthcare Worker,” within 90 days of filing your lawsuit, under Missouri Revised Statute §538.225. This is a written opinion from a a medical professional in the same practice area that states that a) the doctor did not provide the treatment that a careful healthcare provider would have in the same situation, and b) the failure caused the alleged harm. Our medical malpractice lawyers have a massive network of experienced and qualified medical connections in Savannah and throughout Missouri who will help verify your claim.
Amy: A Trial Story
Click to view video
Click to view video
Roy Medical Malpractice Testimonial
Click to view video
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Savannah, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The compensation your medical malpractice lawyers will help you get generally falls into two categories: economic damages, which try to compensate you for the monetary damages you have undergone owing to a physician's substandard care; and noneconomic damages, which are meant to compensate for the less tangible ways in which your injuries have impacted your life:
- Economic damages include:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity if the medical negligence led to an impairment that does not allow you to conduct the duties of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance:
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Further procedures
- Physical rehabilitation
- Medication costs
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices
- Noneconomic damages, which the state of Missouri defines as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
Burger Law's medical malpractice lawyers work tirelessly until you get every penny that you are owed. We know that you can never fully heal from some injuries, but we fight to make sure that you are made whole again.
Malpractice cases differ from other personal injuries in Missouri in two essential manners. Your medical malpractice lawyers at Burger Law will help you navigate damage caps and the statute of limitations in Missouri:
Damage Caps in Missouri Medical Malpractice Cases
In 2015, Missouri state legislature put into law Senate Bill 239 in an attempt to decrease insurance premiums for physicians and hospitals. The bill establishes "damage caps" on how much you can collect in a medical malpractice claim in noneconomic damages. As of 2022, those caps are $450,098 for a "non-catastrophic injury" and $787,671 for a "catastrophic injury."
What is Catastrophic Injury? | Savannah, MO Medical Malpractice Lawyers
The limits for catastrophic injuries are greater because they affect your ability to function in your daily life and to find enjoyment in life. Your Burger Law malpractice lawyers will help you determine if your injury can be seen as catastrophic. Senate Bill 239 defines catastrophic injuries as:
- Quadriplegia, or loss of function in all four limbs
- Paraplegia, or loss of function in your legs and lower body
- Loss of two or more limbs
- A brain injury resulting in permanent cognitive impairment that results in permanent inability to:
- Make independent decisions
- Perform basic daily tasks such as eating, dressing, bathing, toileting, transferring and walking
- Irreversible failure of one or more major organ systems
- Legal blindness in your "best eye"
How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Claim in Savannah, MO?
If you or someone you love were harmed by a physician's negligence in Savannah, MO, it is vital to contact medical malpractice lawyers at once. While most personal injury cases have a time limit of five years in Missouri, medical malpractice suits only have a statute of limitations of two years, according to Missouri Revised Statute §516.105. That means that once you have been harmed your medical malpractice lawyers only have two years to investigate your case and file suit. There are three notable exceptions:
- If a foreign object was left inside of you after surgery, you have two years from the date you discovered the object, or should have discovered the object.
- If a doctor did not inform you of test results, you have two years from the date you discovered or should have discovered that you were not informed. This does not include failure to inform of negligent or incorrect test results.
- If you or someone you care about was under 18 at the time of the substandard care, you have until their 20th birthday.
Do not wait. Contact the Burger Law Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers now. We begin working on your case at once and do not rest until you have been fully compensated . Delaying could create complications your suit and could make it tough for even the best medical malpractice lawyers to demonstrate the full scope of your damages. Call Burger Law's Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT.
Call Burger Law Now
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Savannah, MO
No one deserves to have their life disrupted because a physician was negligent in their care. Burger Law's Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers make up the highest- and most-reviewed law firm in the Midwest. We fight hard for our clients and work tirelessly to get them the great results they need to recover. Our medical malpractice lawyers have spent the last 30 years fighting back against bullies and standing up for the "little guy." We will not let medical professionals, large corporations exploit your vulnerability. Call Burger Law's Savannah, MO medical malpractice lawyers today at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form to start on your road to recovery.