All Questions

October 23, 2019 | Gary Burger

What Kind of Insurance Issues are there in Auto Claims?

Being in a car accident is bad enough, but what happens when the insurance decides throw you a curveball? What do you do when they start trying to pin the accident on you, or ask for concessions to get you to accept less of a settlement or shoulder some of the costs? What options do you have to get 100% of what you need? What can you do?

In this FAQ, Gary talks about the different kind of issues that can arrise while dealing with insurance after an accident. If you have any questions about this FAQ, or have a current accident case that you need help with, call or contact our Personal Injury Lawyers in St. Louis now. We don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we don't require any attorneys fees unless we win your claim. Contact our team now at 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222.

What kind of Insurance Issues are there in Auto Claims?

There's always insurance issues that arise following an accident. Whether you're talking to your own insurance provider, of the insurance of the person who caused the accident, there are going to be complications and difficulties that will quickly become apparent after any accident. If you're injured, your insurance may have set rates or limits to what they will cover and when, and they may require that you submit any injuries to your health insurance first before they take on any of the damages you may have incurred.

Another issue with insurance can be uninsured insurance, which can come into play if the other individual didn't have car insurance. In this event, you have to pursue an uninsured insurance claim against your own provider. The minimum for both of these policies is $25,000, so if your injured and the person who caused the accident doesn't have insurance you can go after your own insurance to get your damages covered.

What types of damages can you pursue? There are several different types, though the most commonly pursued damages are medical bills, wage loss, pain and suffering, and any future pain and suffering, wage loss, or other medical costs.

What if you were renting a car and an accident happened? Can you still pursue a claim? Yes, this is known as PIP Coverage, or Personal Injury Protection for short. You can pursue this policy for any injuries that you've taken on.

What if the other person in the accident does have insurance? What can you pursue then? Very rarely will they have medical payment coverage, what they will have though is liability coverage and they should pay any amount they are liable to you for. So you make a claim against their policy for your damages, which can be medical, wage loss, pain and suffering, etc. You may make and maintain the claim against them and hold them accountable until your damages are paid. If you weren't seriously injured in the accident, and the damages to you or your property weren't severe, you may not need a lawyer to help you with your claim. Just make sure you notate all of your damages and send them a bill for each damage, as well as pain and suffering damages which can typically be around $500-1000.

DO NOT SETTLE A CASE UNTIL YOU KNOW ALL OF THE INJURIES AND DAMAGES YOU'VE SUSTAINED. This is critically important. If you accept any offer from the insurance company too early, and they state that the acceptance of the offer/settlement closes the claim, you will not be able to recover any future damages that may arise from the accident. Always make sure that you state the claim is not settled, and that you may have future damages.

For any accident, make sure you get as much info as you can from the other sides insurance. You need to know what they cover, what you can recover, and what the potential limits are. Arming yourself with knowledge is the best way to ensure that you get 100% of what you are owed. If you have any questions about this FAQ, or if you've been in an accident and you need a lawyer to help you with the claim, give our team a call at 314-542-2222 or 618-272-2222. Remember, we don't charge any fees for our consultations, and we don't require any attorneys fees unless we win your claim.