Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Chesterfield, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Chesterfield, MO. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a destructive bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never receive equal attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can frequently be just as dangerous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Chesterfield, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and respect the rules. When they break that trust and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes lifelong effects for you or the people you care about. Your Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you get the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience defending the injured in Chesterfield and throughout Missouri and fighting back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egotistically do not want to be held accountable for their reckless actions. Many Chesterfield, MO families have put their cases and their futures in our knowledgeable hands, and to date we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, dedication, resolution, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Chesterfield, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose wages, pay for pricey medical costs and also manage the emotional scars of your injury only because another person did not respect the rules. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a Chesterfield, MO bus accident, reach out to the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We begin working on your claim straight away, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Chesterfield, MO because of somebody else's reckless actions, discover how much your claim may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Chesterfield, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially powerless. After all, you were not the driver and you got on board the bus supposing that the adequate safety protocols were followed. Chesterfield, MO bus companies and drivers have firm regulations they are supposed to obey, but sometimes they fail in those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really recover from, may have permanent consequences or in the most tragic instances can even lead to wrongful death. The Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case straight away, and work tirelessly until you are awarded the maximum compensation you are entitled to. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Chesterfield, MO individuals and families into accepting a lower recovery than they entitled to. Those Chesterfield, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, experienced and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are complicated and can be difficult to comprehend for Chesterfield, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over two decades standing up to bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every facet of your claim. You can anticipate an experienced and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to obtain vital evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are typically many people who want the same answers and compensation you need. Eyewitness testimony is a important part of proving your case.
- Collect additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, as well as key details such as how far the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was conducted on the bus. A lot of different factors cause bus accidents, and your Burger Law Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney will discover why the crash happened and who needs to be held liable.
- Work alongside our network of Chesterfield, MO accident and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will utilize our know-how and expertise to ensure you collect it.
- Stand up to resistant Chesterfield, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their profits than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your damages. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner entire time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until you are fairly compensated. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a calamitous bus accident, contact an expert and committed bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it necessitates so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out who needs to be held responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Chesterfield, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver error. While the same study reported that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a severe offense such as drunk driving, another study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus wrecks had been cited with driving errors, for instance, speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A good deal of bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how frequently they have to take a break, those regulations are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or followed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ size and the difficulty of steering them, slippery roads or Chesterfield, MO construction areas can be especially hazardous for bus commuters. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company is at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of more than 765,000 trucks and buses, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews often cannot stay ahead of the amount of inspections required. Some Chesterfield, MO bus companies do not correctly repair their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Additionally, bus companies are mandated to ensure that their drivers are adequately trained and are not overworked.
- Hazardous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can result in a driver losing control and crashing. Some common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, such as branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Chesterfield, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the negligent parties responsible. The liable party may be a local Chesterfield, MO government, or a third party whom the government contracted to fix the condition but either did not do so soon enough or did not properly repair it.
Once your expert Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney deduces the reasons for your wreck, they will be able to determine who is responsible for your injuries and how to proceed with delivering you the best possible compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found at-fault in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their patrons to maintain their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of saying that safety is their foremost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically required to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off drowsiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not followed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were because of driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound riders have reported that their driver was eating when the accident occurred, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making certain that Chesterfield, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident might be the result of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine inspections or failing to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly predisposed to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck occurred.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a responsibility to verify the safety of their products and immediately announce recalls in the event of a faulty product. If they approve an inherently faulty design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they might try to shift the blame to somebody else, your Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure careless parties are held accountable for their behavior.
The Chesterfield or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be disastrous because of the number of people who could be injured and because they typically transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can make a claim against the Chesterfield, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in tort suits. If you seek to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is essential to get in touch with a Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney immediately after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck due to negligence. If they became distracted by eating or talking, did not stop driving when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Chesterfield, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be sure that the dedicated and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will hold them accountable.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle collision, two or more drivers are often involved, and in some cases they each may share a portion of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can harm you. If you were harmed in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and accomplished Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney will help you establish if they are responsible and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the type of bus crash we most typically see in Chesterfield and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Chesterfield, MO may also be held accountable, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were particularly poor or they did not perform sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Chesterfield, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will generally depend on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have affected and will affect they have on your life. You may have sustained a mild concussion that merely needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Chesterfield, MO and a week or two off work. Or, you may have received a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you receive a fair financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work alongside our team of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney team will fight aggressively to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Chesterfield, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every category of bus accident case and know the incalculable pain and catastrophic effect it can have on your and the people you care about. Your Chesterfield, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, honest and tenacious and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past two decades to secure you the the best possible recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free consultation.