Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Columbia, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Columbia, MO. If you or a family member has been hurt in a disastrous bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can often be just as harmful and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Columbia, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and follow the rules. When they break that trust and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent consequences for you or the people you care about. Your Columbia, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you secure the best possible compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience defending the injured in Columbia and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held accountable for their careless actions. Our Columbia, MO clients have put their cases and their futures in our accomplished hands, and in total we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, devotion, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Columbia, MO residents heal. You should not have to lose wages, pay for exorbitant medical costs and also manage the emotional toll of your injury just because another person did not respect the rules. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a Columbia, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We start working on your case straight away, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are entitled to.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Columbia, MO because of somebody else's careless behavior, find out how much your injury may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Columbia, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially vulnerable. After all, you were not the driver and you got on the bus under the assumption that the adequate safety protocols were adhered to. Columbia, MO bus companies and drivers have firm rules they have a responsibility to obey, but sometimes they neglect those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly recover from, may have permanent effects or in the most tragic cases can even lead to wrongful death. The Columbia, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we get to work on on your case right away, and work tirelessly until you get the full compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Columbia, MO individuals and families into settling for less compensation than they entitled to. Those Columbia, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, accomplished and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are convoluted and can be difficult to comprehend for Columbia, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than two decades of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Columbia, MO bus accident attorney team, we handle every aspect of your case. You can expect an experienced and knowledgeable bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to obtain important evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were close by. As buses carry many passengers, there are usually a lot of passengers who want the same answers and compensation you seek. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Collect further evidence such as tire marks, security videos, police reports, in additional to important details such as how far the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and repairs were conducted on the bus. A lot of different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Columbia, MO bus accident attorney will find out why the crash happened and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work with our network of Columbia, MO accident and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and work out exactly how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will utilize our knowledge and expertise to ensure you collect it.
- Fight back against resistant Columbia, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your claim. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a family member has been injured in a calamitous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a part to play in running a bus in a safe manner you will first need to discover the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Columbia, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover what entity needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Columbia, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that recently licensed drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver action. While the same study reported that only 4 percent of bus accidents were due to a grave offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus wrecks had committed driving errors, for instance, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly the ones that are employed by commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have specifications about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or complied with.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ size and the awkwardness of steering them, slick roads or Columbia, MO construction areas can be especially dangerous for bus commuters. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company is at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you discover if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory bodies, but not nearly as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of over 765,000 motor carriers, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors generally cannot keep pace with the quantity of inspections needed. Some Columbia, MO bus companies do not properly maintain their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Additionally, bus companies are required to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can lead to a driver losing control and causing an accident. Some common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Defective or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Columbia, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the liable parties accountable. The at-fault party may be a local Columbia, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the problem but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not properly repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Columbia, MO bus accident attorney determines the reasons for your wreck, they will be able to confirm who is responsible for your injuries and how to proceed with securing you maximum compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are typically found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their patrons to maintain their safety. Part of that duty of care is to make sure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of insisting that safety is their utmost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules concerning driver fatigue. Drivers are technically mandated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to inhibit sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often followed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were due to driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound riders have stated that their driver was eating when the crash transpired, which constitutes distracted driving.
Ensuring that Columbia, MO buses are adequately inspected and repaired and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's obligation. A bus accident might be because of a bus company either neglecting to provide routine maintenance or failing to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly susceptible to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be prudent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Columbia, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck transpired.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to verify the safety of their vehicles and swiftly issue recalls in the event of a malfunctioning product. If they approve an inherently defective design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they may attempt to shift the blame to somebody else, your Columbia, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure negligent parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Columbia or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be catastrophic because of the number of people involved and because they generally transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Columbia, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in tort suits. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is necessary to get in touch with a Columbia, MO bus accident attorney right away after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck due to driving mistakes. If they became distracted by eating or talking, did not stop the bus when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Columbia, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty seriously and causes you injury, you can be certain that the dedicated and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of motor vehicle accident, there are often two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were injured in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and seasoned Columbia, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Columbia and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Columbia, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially dangerous or they did not conduct sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Columbia, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will typically be based on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have impacted and will impact they have on your life. You may have received a mild concussion that merely needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Columbia, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have experienced a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Columbia, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you secure a maximum financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We use our network of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Columbia, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you collect full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Columbia, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every kind of bus accident case and know the incalculable pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Columbia, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, trustworthy and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have obtained over the past 20 years to win you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary consultation.