Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL. If you were injured in an accident that was not your fault, find out how Burger Law's experienced, dedicated and talented accident lawyer team in Chicago can protect and fight for you. Call us now at or fill out our online form.
An accident - by definition unintentional - is an unexpected shock that often has lasting consequences on your life. If someone else caused the accident that injured you, you may be able to make a claim for a financial recovery under Illinois law. Whether or not the other person intended to harm you, when someone's behavior injures you, you should not be the one left to pay with your comfort, way of life and hard-earned wages. When you are unjustly injured, an experienced Chicago accident lawyer from Burger Law will ensure you are made whole again through the maximum possible compensation. We demand full recoveries for our clients and never stop fighting until justice is served.
Accident Lawyer in Chicago
If you were injured in an accident, you should always contact a Chicago and Illinois accident lawyer right away. Sometimes with minor injuries that do not require a lot of treatment, a Chicago or Illinois insurance company will offer you a fair settlement. But far too often an insurance company uses tricks to try and deceive you and devalue your claim. That is when you need the experienced and knowledgeable Chicago-based Illinois accident lawyer team of Burger Law to fight by your side. We have an amazing group of talented and compassionate attorneys and paralegals that will keep you informed every step of the way and work tirelessly to secure you the best compensation possible.
Do I Need an Accident Lawyer in Chicago?
While occasionally an accident victim with a straightforward, minor claim will get lucky and receive an adequate offer from the insurance company right away, these instances are rare. Most of the time after an accident, you need a dedicated Chicago accident lawyer fighting for your recovery every step of the way. If any of the following are true for you, contact an accident lawyer in Chicago right away. You most likely need a lawyer to represent you in your accident claim if:
- you suffer pain that persists more than a couple of days after the accident
- you are injured and require medical care
- your injuries prevent you from being able to work as normal
- you or anyone else suffered serious injuries or death
- the accident was caused by an illegal activity such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or a truck driver traveling too many consecutive hours
- the accident was a hit-and-run or you do not know who the liable party is
- liability is complicated due to multiple parties being involved or providing conflicting accounts
- the accident involved a commercial vehicle, such as a truck or bus, or someone working like a delivery driver
- government agencies could potentially be responsible, such as road repair issues, improper traffic signs or malfunctioning traffic lights
- the accident happened while you were on the job
- you were riding in a taxi or rideshare ride like an Uber or Lyft
In any accident, if you are unsure about any aspects of the law, your case or what the insurance company is telling you, it is always best to be safe and speak with an injury lawyer in Chicago right away. Maybe you simply do not have time or are just not interested in the hassle of communicating with the insurance company and handling the legal paperwork of making an injury claim. Hire an adept Chicago accident lawyer to take the entire ordeal off your plate and allow you to focus on what matters most to you day to day. Burger Law will not agree to work as your injury attorney unless we know we can add value to your case. Speak to us for free now at .
What Will My Chicago Accident Lawyer Do?
Diligent, dedicated, tenacious, your Burger Law accident lawyer in Chicago fights hard and does not quit until you are repaid and restored. We leverage our past experience, relationship and resources to build a strong case and do whatever it takes to get you maximum compensation. We know how to work with Chicago area insurance adjusters and demand fair settlements from the defendants' insurance companies. When you hire Burger Law, we get started on your case right away. We will:
- Investigate every aspect of your case
- Work with crash experts to determine who is liable
- Acquire official documents such as police reports and medical bills
- Determine and prove negligence
- Work with medical and economic experts to properly value the amount of compensation you are owed
- Offer sound, personal and empathetic legal advice
- Stand up to bullies like resistant insurance companies to get you a fair settlement
- Take the case to trial when necessary
What Must I Prove in My Illinois Accident Claim?
You may feel entitled to compensation based on the circumstances surrounding your accident, but in order to make a financial recovery for your damages you must have a claim that satisfies the legal requirements under Illinois tort law. Before taking on your case, your Chicago accident lawyer from Burger Law will evaluate your case to make sure you have a legitimate claim. From there, we will work tirelessly to prove all elements of your claim and demand maximum compensation for your damages.
- Duty of Care: There was a relationship between you and the defendant such that the defendant owed you a duty of care. In a car accident case, this is automatically fulfilled as all motorists owe each other a duty to drive with care to avoid creating safety hazards for others on the road. In a slip and fall case, the owner of the property has a duty of care to legal visitors to post warning and/or remove any dangers on the property to keep visitors safe.
- Breach of Duty of Care (Negligence): Next your lawyer must prove that the defendant was negligent and breached their duty of care to you. There are many examples of negligence, which can take the form of both actions and failures to act. Failing to reduce speed in poor weather conditions or choosing to drive drunk are examples of negligence in traffic accident cases. In a slip and fall accident, failing to rope off or cover a hole in the sidewalk could be a breach of duty of care.
- Causation: This connects the dots. Your injury lawyer must show that the accident was caused by the defendant's negligence. Illinois has a rule of modified comparative negligence, meaning that in cases where fault is shared by multiple parties, you can make a recovery in an injury claim, minus your share of the fault, as long as you hold less than 50% of the fault. Conversely, this means that if the other driver was mostly at fault for the accident, you can still make a recovery even if they were not the sole cause of the accident. If the other driver in a car wreck is 80% responsible for the accident and you are 20% responsible, your lawyer will make sure that you receive payment covering 80% of your damages from the other party.
- Damages: Finally, your accident lawyer has to prove that you suffered damages, or losses, as a result of the accident the defendant caused. As the victim in an accident, you likely have suffered a variety of both economic and non-economic damages in Illinois, including tangible costs like medical bills and lost wages as well as intangible costs like mental pain and anguish and disability.
If you have been injured in an accident because someone else was negligent and did not care about your safety, call the Chicago-based Illinois accident lawyer team of Burger Law today at . We will evaluate your case for free and when you hire a Burger Law accident lawyer in Chicago, we never rest until we prove your claim and bring you the recovery you deserve.
Chicago, Illinois Auto Accident Lawyer
The Bureau of Justice Statistics found that over half of personal injury cases were motor vehicle claims. The Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/) stipulates that "every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care" to others on the Chicago and Illinois roadways. If you are injured because of a driver's negligent or reckless actions, you are owed damages. Every Burger Law Chicago-based Illinois accident lawyer has seen every type of auto accident and knows how to get you a full financial recovery. Below are the most common types of claims our accident lawyer team in Chicago and Illinois sees.
Car Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
Crashes between passenger vehicles - such as cars, minivans, pick-up trucks and SUVs - are by far the most common type of motor vehicle accident. In 2019, passenger vehicle occupants accounted for 62 percent of all deaths in fatal crashes.
Some of the most common types of car accidents our accident lawyer team sees in Chicago and Illinois are:
- Distracted Driving Accidents, such as Texting and Driving
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Speeding Accidents
- Rear-Ended Accidents
- Intersection Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- Backup Accidents
- Carpool and Rideshare Accidents
Whatever the specific circumstances and causes of your car accident injuries, we know how car accident claims work. Our accident lawyer team in Chicago and Illinois reviews every piece of evidence, including witness testimony, surveillance footage and photographs from the accident scene. Once we determine who is liable for your injuries, we will aggressively and tenaciously work to get you justice and make sure they are held accountable.
Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
Motorcycle drivers are at an especially high-risk for injury in an accident due to motorcycles' lack of stability and protection. Despite only accounting for 0.6 percent of miles driven by all vehicles, they accounted for 14% of all fatalities and 3% of injuries in motor vehicle crashes. While certain safety measures like wearing a helmet can substantially reduce the risk of injury or death, you cannot help it when other Chicago and Illinois drivers break the rules. If a reckless or negligent driver caused you injury, call the Illinois and Chicago accident lawyer team of Burger Law today. We have seen firsthand the devastation that a motorcycle accident can have on Chicago and Illinois individuals and families, and know exactly how to get you maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Truck Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
Truck accidents also present higher risk for those on the Chicago and Illinois roads. Trucks weigh 20-30 pounds heavier than passenger vehicles and can take 20-40 percent longer to stop. That means they exert a much higher amount of force in collisions and truck drivers have much less time to react. There may be nothing more dangerous on the Chicago and Illinois roads than an 18-wheeler that is unfit to be driven or a truck driver who is not currently fit to drive. They are often part of multi-vehicle accidents which can make investigating them complicated. Your Chicago-based Illinois accident lawyer may find that several parties are liable, including:
- The truck driver or another driver for driver error, such as distracted driving or not accounting for weather conditions.
- The trucking company for not properly maintaining the truck, not performing inspections, negligent hiring practices or forcing their drivers to drive longer than the hours of service regulations allow.
- The manufacturer for not safely designing the truck or not recalling a defective part.
- The shipping company for improperly loading cargo.
Whatever the cause of your truck accident, you can be sure Burger Law's Illinois accident lawyer team in Chicago has seen it before. We will make sure each and every liable party takes responsibility for all of your damages to secure you a full financial recovery.
Bus Accident Lawyer in Chicago, IL
While rare, bus accidents are similar to truck accidents in that they can cause a lot of damage and there are special rules that go with driving them. Like truck accidents, you can sue the driver of the bus, the bus company, the manufacturer or, in some cases a Chicago or Illinois governmental entity. For example, if your child was hurt in a school bus accident, your Illinois accident lawyer in Chicago may be able to help you make a claim against a public school district if the crash was caused by a snowstorm and they should have canceled school.
Chicago Auto Accident FAQs
What Tricks Do Insurance Companies Use To Avoid Paying Claims?
When you have a personal injury claim, be aware of the tricks insurance c …
Is It Worth It to Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Is It Worth It to Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident? If you've been injured …
Can You Sue the City of St. Louis for a Personal Injury?
Can you sue St. Louis City for a personal injury? Personal injury claims …
What Other Kinds of Cases Do Accident Lawyers Take?
While motor vehicle accidents make up a large portion of personal injury accidents, they are far from the only way that someone else's negligence or recklessness can cause you injury. At Burger Law, our accident law firm has helped Chicago and Illinois residents receive a full financial recovery for a wide variety of injury claims. In addition to auto wrecks, every Burger Law accident lawyer also has expertise in:
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Product Liability
- Construction Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
Falling makes up almost a third of all preventable injuries in the United States. According to the National Floor Safety Institute, falls account for 8 million emergency room visits per year, and about 12 percent of those visits are due to slip and falls. Property owners and managers have a responsibility to keep you safe while you are on their premises. When they neglect that duty, your Chicago-based Illinois accident lawyer will hold them accountable.
Manufacturers have a duty to design a safe product, test their product for safety and recall any dangerous parts or components. If an unsafe vehicle part, household product, toy or other product caused you or a loved one in Chicago or Illinois injuries, Burger Law's accident lawyer will help you determine if you have a case.
Nearly half of the most dangerous jobs in the United States are in construction. Many of these injuries can be best resolved with a workers compensation claim, and some are due to third party liability. If you have been injured in a construction accident, call Burger Law's Illinois accident lawyer team based in Chicago today to find out how best to proceed.
While not every medical error or accident amounts to medical malpractice, doctors and other healthcare professionals do have a responsibility to treat you with a standard of care. We trust Illinois doctors and hospitals to help us when we are most vulnerable, when they break that trust and break the rules, your Chicago accident lawyer team at Burger Law will make them pay.
Chicago Personal Injury Accident Lawyer FAQs
How To Choose The Right Personal Injury Lawyer For Me
How do you determine which personal injury lawyer is right for you? As yo …
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
Do you know how long you have to file a personal injury claim? Or when th …
When to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
When To Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer. Accidents and injuries are always …
How to Get a Great Settlement for Your Chicago Accident
The ultimate responsibility of your accident lawyer is to ensure you receive justice after you have been damaged in an accident. This means making you whole again through a great settlement that compensates you for all the ways in which the accident has cost you. You did not deserve to be injured and it is certainly not right that you should have to pay for another person's mistakes with your money and your life and wellbeing.
There is no question that, both morally and under Illinois law, you have the right to be compensated for the total of your damages after suffering injuries in an accident caused by someone else's poor behavior. While Illinois law allows for accident victims to move to collect compensation for the total amount of their damages, it is rarely that easy. Sadly, many accident victims in Chicago and all over the United States never see true justice. They are resigned to accepting pitifully low settlement payments or are denied compensation completely.
So how do you make sure you get a great accident settlement in Chicago for your injuries? And what is a great settlement amount? A great settlement is a complete settlement, one that completely covers your damages, both economic and non-economic. You can start by finding out how much your accident injury claim is worth by using our personal injury calculator.
To get the complete compensation you need to be made whole again after you have been in a Chicago accident caused by another person's negligence, you must do the following:
- Get the medical care you need. To start your case off right as well as your physical recovery from your injuries, it is important to get complete medical care for your injuries. That means getting prompt medical attention after the accident occurs, continuing with the appointments and referrals to specialists as directed by your doctors, and participating in your treatment. Your medical treatment is critical to understanding the extent of your pain and suffering, any potential for lasting disability, and the cost of getting you to your maximum medical recovery when you have been injured in an accident.
- Hire the right accident lawyer. Perhaps one of the most critical responsibilities you hold as an accident victim is that of hiring an accident lawyer in Chicago. If you were injured in an accident that another person caused, you will need an accident lawyer to work on your behalf to ensure all the legal requirements of your claim are met and negotiate a settlement on your behalf. Find an accident lawyer in Chicago that you trust and who has experience working the type of accident case you are facing. Do your homework before hiring an accident lawyer, including learning about how to choose a law firm to represent you.
- Prove negligence and your damages. After hiring a great Chicago accident lawyer like one of the lawyers of Burger Law, the onus is no longer on yourself to fight alone for your recovery. Your biggest charge is working with your lawyer and following their advice. To get the full recovery you deserve, your accident lawyer must be able to prove that your case meets the requirements of a personal injury case in Chicago, Illinois, including showing that the defendant was negligent in their duty to keep you safe and that their negligence caused your injuries and other damages.
- Negotiate. In your accident claim, getting the settlement you deserve all comes down to success in negotiations. A skilled personal injury accident attorney can be the only thing protecting you from the dishonest tactics of the insurance companies in your Chicago accident case. In the end, the amount of payment you receive in your accident claim depends on your lawyer's ability to demand and negotiate the compensation you need. Your Burger Law personal injury accident attorney demands complete payment for you using whatever channels necessary. Some cases with good faith insurance adjusters can be resolved fairly quickly and easily in initial negotiations, others may be resolved in mediation, and some go through the formal lawsuit process and could even go to trial. With decades of experience, your Burger Law accident lawyer is equipped to fight for you and demand justice for you and your family in a Illinois civil court trial if that is what it takes to get you a full recovery.
The most important things you can do after being injured in an accident are to get medical attention and contact an accident lawyer in Chicago right away. Find a lawyer from a reputable Chicago law firm like Burger Law who has an impressive track record of winning their clients maximum compensation in accident cases like yours and make sure they offer a free consultation so you can speak to them about your case before you make the decision to hire. Burger Law's Chicago accident lawyers answer all your questions for free and will meet with you to understand the details of your case - and determine whether you have a claim that requires the representation of an accident lawyer - before you choose to hire us. Get the free case review now at .
Workers' Compensation in Missouri
When you are hurt on the job, collect the workers' compensation benefits you need with guidance from our accomplished workers' compensation attorneys in St. Louis.
Get the Recovery You Deserve with an Experienced Chicago Accident Lawyer
When you are injured in an accident through no fault of your own, there is no time to waste. You have limited time to attempt to make a recovery under Illinois' statute of limitations and every second counts. The sooner you have a competent accident lawyer on your case, the better they will be able to build your case and negotiate on your behalf.
Our astute and accomplished accident lawyers in Chicago are prepared to fight for your recovery every step of the way. Do not take the fight on alone. You deserve the great recovery you can only get with the help of a dedicated and diligent Burger Law accident lawyer. If you have been injured in an accident in Illinois due to another person's negligence, speak to a Chicago accident lawyer right away at or online.