Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Ashland, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Ashland, MO. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a catastrophic bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents hardly ever get the same attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can frequently be similarly hazardous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Ashland, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and obey the rules. When they break that trust and break the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes lifelong consequences for you or your loved ones. Your Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you collect the maximum compensation that you are owed for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Ashland and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like dishonest insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held accountable for their reckless behavior. Our Ashland, MO clients have put their claims and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have collected for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, dedication, persistence, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Ashland, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose wages, pay for exorbitant medical costs and also deal with the emotional impact of your injury just because somebody else did not respect the rules. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Ashland, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case evaluation. We start working on your claim straight away, and we do not charge any fees until we win you the compensation you deserve.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Ashland, MO because of somebody else's careless actions, discover how much your damages may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Ashland, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are likely feeling especially powerless. After all, you were not the driver and you got on board the bus presuming that the proper safety arrangements were followed. Ashland, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent laws they are supposed to respect, but sometimes they fail in those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is generally caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly recover from, may have lifelong effects or in the most tragic instances can even result in wrongful death. The Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not need to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case at once, and work tirelessly until you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to. We have seen every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Ashland, MO individuals and families into accepting a lower recovery than they are owed. Those Ashland, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the complicated cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, veteran and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complicated and can be difficult to comprehend for Ashland, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial skills of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have over 20 years of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Ashland, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every facet of your case. You can expect an accomplished and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site immediately. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to acquire important evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also sustained injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry many passengers, there are almost always many passengers who want the same answers and financial recovery you need. Eyewitness testimony is a essential part of proving your case.
- Collect further evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, in additional to important details such as how long the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was done on the bus. Several different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Ashland, MO bus accident attorney will determine the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held responsible.
- Work alongside our network of Ashland, MO accident and medical experts to determine negligence for your bus accident injuries and assess exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will utilize our savvy and expertise to ensure you get it.
- Fight back against resistant Ashland, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your injuries. When you hire us, you can be sure those ploys will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a loved one has been injured in a calamitous bus accident, contact an expert and committed bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it necessitates so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who caused your injuries. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Ashland, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out what entity needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Ashland, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under the age of 25, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident took place.
- Driver action. While the same study found that only 4 percent of bus accidents were because of a severe offense such as driving while intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus collisions had been cited with driving errors, for instance, speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A large portion of bus drivers, particularly those that drive for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become sleepy and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or complied with.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ size and the intricacy of maneuvering them, icy roads or Ashland, MO construction areas can be particularly risky for bus riders. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for inspections of over 765,000 trucks and buses, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews frequently cannot keep up with the amount of inspections required. Some Ashland, MO bus companies do not adequately repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are mandated to ensure that their drivers are adequately trained and do not drive too many hours without a break.
- Dangerous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. Some common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Ashland, MO street, the better chance you have of holding the liable parties responsible. The liable party may be a local Ashland, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to fix the issue but either did not do so quickly enough or did not sufficiently repair it.
Once your skilled Ashland, MO bus accident attorney determines the cause of your wreck, they will be able to confirm who is at-fault for your injuries and how to proceed with securing you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their passengers to maintain their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite saying that safety is their foremost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically mandated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to stave off fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not obeyed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound riders have stated that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Ashland, MO buses are properly inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident could be the result of a bus company either failing to conduct routine inspections or neglecting to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly predisposed to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash occurred.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to confirm the safety of their vehicles and immediately issue recalls in the event of a malfunctioning product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to place the blame on somebody else, your Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure liable parties are held responsible for their actions.
The Ashland or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be ruinous because of the amount of people involved and because they frequently occur in densely populated areas. While you can make a claim against the Ashland, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in tort claims. If you seek to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is urgent to get in touch with a Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at once after your accident. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash because of driving mistakes. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop driving when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the Ashland, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty seriously and causes you injury, you can be sure that the committed and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto wreck, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some instances they each may be responsible for a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and seasoned Ashland, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are at fault and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Ashland and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Ashland, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were particularly dangerous or they did not carry out sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Ashland, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will usually depend on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have impacted and will affect they have on your life. You may have sustained a mild concussion that only required a quick trip to an emergency room in Ashland, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have received a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you receive a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We use our network of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Ashland, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you collect the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Ashland, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every type of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and your family. Your Ashland, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, trustworthy and relentless and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have gained over the past 20 years to win you the the best possible recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free consultation.