Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Aurora, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Aurora, MO. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a disastrous bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents hardly ever receive equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can often be similarly hazardous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Aurora, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and respect the rules. When they eschew their duty and do not respect the rules it can have devastating, sometimes permanent consequences for you or your family. Your Aurora, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you receive the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience defending the injured in Aurora and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held accountable for their careless actions. Our Aurora, MO clients have put their claims and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, devotion, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help find justice in personal injury cases and help Aurora, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose work, pay for expensive medical costs and also manage the emotional scars of your injury just because someone else disregarded the rules. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a Aurora, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We begin working on your case at once, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are entitled to.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Aurora, MO because of another person's reckless actions, learn how much your claim may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Aurora, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially unprotected. After all, you were not the driver and you went aboard the bus under the assumption that the adequate safety arrangements were followed. Aurora, MO bus companies and drivers have firm laws they have an obligation to obey, but sometimes they neglect those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully recover from, may have permanent effects or in the worst cases can even cause wrongful death. The Aurora, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand in your corner so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we begin working on your case straight away, and will not let up until you are awarded the best possible compensation you are entitled to. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Aurora, MO individuals and families into settling for less money than they are owed. Those Aurora, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the passionate, veteran and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are complicated and can be unforgiving to Aurora, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Aurora, MO bus accident attorney team, we handle every aspect of your claim. You can expect a seasoned and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site as soon as possible. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to acquire key evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also sustained injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are almost always many passengers who want the same answers and compensation you do. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to help in your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, and important details such as how far the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was performed on the bus. Several different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Aurora, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work alongside our network of Aurora, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will implement our experience and expertise to make certain you get it.
- Stand up to resistant Aurora, MO insurance companies who are more interested in their profits than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your damages. When you hire us, you can be sure those schemes will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed whole time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a loved one has been injured in a disastrous bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a role to play in running a bus safely you will first need to learn the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Aurora, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to discover what entity needs to be held liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Aurora, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that recently licensed drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver behavior. While the same study found that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were because of a grave offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had committed driving errors, for instance, speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A lot of bus drivers, particularly the ones that work for commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become sleepy and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or complied with.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ mass and the awkwardness of maneuvering them, slippery roads or Aurora, MO construction areas can be especially dangerous for bus passengers. In some cases a third party such as a construction company will be negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you decide if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 personnel responsible for reviews for over 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors typically cannot stay ahead of the quantity of inspections needed. Some Aurora, MO bus companies do not correctly maintain their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Additionally, bus companies are mandated to make sure that their drivers are adequately trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. Some common examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Defective or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Poor lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Aurora, MO street, the better chance you have of holding the at-fault parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Aurora, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to fix the issue but either did not do so quickly enough or did not sufficiently repair it.
Once your expert Aurora, MO bus accident attorney establishes the reasons behind your crash, they will be able to determine who is responsible for your injuries and how to proceed with winning you a full financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are typically found liable in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their passengers to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not driving too many hours without a break. In despite of saying that safety is their principal priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically mandated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to inhibit drowsiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is usually not followed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were because of driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound riders have reported that their driver was eating when the crash happened, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making sure that Aurora, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and repaired and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's responsibility. A bus accident may be because of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine maintenance or failing to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are especially predisposed to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies need to be diligent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Aurora, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash took place.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a duty to certify the safety of their vehicles and swiftly announce recalls if a product is discovered to be unsafe. If they approve an inherently faulty design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they might try to place the blame on someone else, your Aurora, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure at-fault parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Aurora or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be ruinous because of the number of people who could be injured and because they generally happen in metropolitan areas. While you can make a claim against the Aurora, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in tort claims. If you want to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is necessary to contact a Aurora, MO bus accident attorney right away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause an accident owing to recklessness. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not pull over when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Aurora, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your well-being and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty seriously and causes you injury, you can be certain that the devoted and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto collision, there are often two or more drivers, and in some instances they each may shoulder a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s thoughtlessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can harm you. If you were injured in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and seasoned Aurora, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are responsible and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Aurora and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Aurora, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were especially dangerous or they did not perform adequate background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Aurora, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will generally be based on the severity of your injuries and how they have impacted and will affect they have on your life. You may have sustained a sprained ankle that just needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Aurora, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Aurora, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you are awarded a maximum financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We use our network of medical and economic experts to compute the exact dollar amount you deserve, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Aurora, MO bus accident attorney team will fight aggressively to ensure that you recover maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Aurora, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every category of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and ruinous effect it can have on your and your family. Your Aurora, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, honest and determined and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have gained over the past 20 years to secure you the the best possible recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free consultation.