Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Bethany, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Bethany, MO. If you or a family member has been injured in a destructive bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can frequently be equally as dangerous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Bethany, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and respect the rules. When they break that trust and break the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent outcomes for you or the people you care about. Your Bethany, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you secure the full compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than 20 years of experience defending the injured in Bethany and throughout Missouri and fighting back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egotistically do not want to take responsibility for their reckless actions. Our Bethany, MO clients have put their claims and their futures in our knowledgeable hands, and to date we have recovered for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, commitment, resolution, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Bethany, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose wages, pay for extortionate medical bills and also deal with the emotional toll of your injury just because somebody else disregarded the rules. If you or someone you care about has been harmed in a Bethany, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We start working on your case straight away, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Bethany, MO because of another person's careless behavior, find out how much your claim may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Bethany, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially vulnerable. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on the bus under the impression that that the correct safety arrangements were adhered to. Bethany, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent laws they have a duty to follow, but sometimes they neglect those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is often exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really recover from, may have permanent consequences or in the worst instances can even lead to wrongful death. The Bethany, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not need to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we get to work on on your case straight away, and will not let up until you are awarded the full compensation you are entitled to. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Bethany, MO individuals and families into settling for less compensation than they entitled to. Those Bethany, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the passionate, veteran and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complicated and can be unforgiving to Bethany, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have more than 20 years of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Bethany, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every facet of your claim. You can expect a seasoned and skilled bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to acquire key evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a variety of passengers, there are usually a lot of passengers who want the same answers and compensation you need. We will perform official depositions of eyewitnesses to help in your case.
- Collect further evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, in additional to key details such as how many miles the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. Several different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Bethany, MO bus accident attorney will find out the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held liable.
- Work alongside our network of Bethany, MO accident and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and compute exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will use our knowledge and expertise to make sure you collect it.
- Stand up to resistant Bethany, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their profits than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your damages. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to secure you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner entire time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We collect no attorneys fees until you are fully compensated. If you or a family member has been harmed in a devastating bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a role to play in operating a bus safely you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Bethany, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine who is liable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Bethany, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that recently licensed drivers under the age of 25, as well as more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident happened.
- Driver action. While the same study found that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were caused by an egregious offense such as driving while intoxicated, a different study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus collisions had committed driving errors, for example, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, especially those that drive for commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those regulations are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not enforced or obeyed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ weight and the difficulty of maneuvering them, slippery roads or Bethany, MO construction areas can be particularly dangerous for bus passengers. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is true in your case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 personnel responsible for inspections of more than 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews generally cannot keep pace with the amount of inspections required. Some Bethany, MO bus companies do not adequately maintain their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are obligated to ensure that their drivers are correctly trained and do not drive too many hours without a break.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the hazardous condition has been on the Bethany, MO road, the better your chances of holding the negligent parties accountable. The at-fault party may be a local Bethany, MO government, or a third party whom the government hired to repair the issue but either did not do so soon enough or did not correctly repair it.
Once your talented Bethany, MO bus accident attorney deduces the reasons for your accident, they will be able to ascertain who is liable for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward delivering you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are regarded as common carriers under the law, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to look out for their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to make sure that their drivers are not being overworked. In despite of insisting that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not following its own rules in regards to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to prevent sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely followed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound customers have reported that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making sure that Bethany, MO buses are properly inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident may be the result of a bus company either neglecting to perform routine inspections or neglecting to fix a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are particularly at risk of breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be diligent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be properly licensed and trained, and should only be permitted to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Bethany, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck took place.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to verify the safety of their vehicles and swiftly announce recalls if a product is found to be hazardous. If they approve an inherently unsafe design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may attempt to shift the blame to somebody else, your Bethany, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure careless parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Bethany or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be disastrous because of the amount of people involved and because they generally transpire in metropolitan areas. While you can file a suit against the Bethany, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability cases. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is essential to contact a Bethany, MO bus accident attorney right away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a negligent or careless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause an accident because of recklessness. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not pull over when they were feeling fatigued, did not pay attention to the Bethany, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your well-being and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility to heart and causes you injury, you can be sure that the dedicated and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will hold them accountable.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto collision, two or more drivers are often involved, and in some instances they each may share a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can harm you. If you were hurt in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and veteran Bethany, MO bus accident attorney will help you establish if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the kind of bus accident we most commonly see in Bethany and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is at fault, a school district in Bethany, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were particularly poor or they did not carry out proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Bethany, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you are awarded in a bus accident case will generally depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the consequences they have on your life. You may have received a sprained wrist that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Bethany, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Bethany, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you are awarded a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work with our network of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Bethany, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you get maximum compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Bethany, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the immense pain and devastating effect it can have on your and the people you care about. Your Bethany, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, honest and relentless and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have obtained over the past two decades to secure you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a complimentary case review.