Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Carrollton, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Carrollton, MO. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a destructive bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely receive equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can frequently be just as dangerous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Carrollton, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and respect the rules. When they eschew their obligations and do not respect the rules it can have terrible, sometimes permanent effects for you or the people you care about. Your Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you recover the best possible compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience defending the injured in Carrollton and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like dishonest insurance companies and people who egotistically do not want to take responsibility for their thoughtless behavior. Many Carrollton, MO residents have put their cases and their futures in our accomplished hands, and in total we have recovered for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, tenacity, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Carrollton, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose wages, pay for sky-high medical bills and also deal with the emotional impact of your injury only because someone else did not respect the rules. If you or a family member has been injured in a Carrollton, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We begin working on your case at once, and you do not owe us any fees until we win you the compensation you are entitled to.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Carrollton, MO because of somebody else's reckless actions, find out how much your injury may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Carrollton, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially vulnerable. After all, you were not the driver and you went aboard the bus supposing that the adequate safety measures were obeyed. Carrollton, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent regulations they have a duty to respect, but sometimes they fail in those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully heal from, may have permanent consequences or in the most terrible cases can even cause wrongful death. The Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you are not required to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we start investigating on your case right away, and will not let up until you get the full compensation you are owed. We have seen every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Carrollton, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they are owed. Those Carrollton, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the complicated cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, veteran and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Carrollton, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial skills of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years standing up to bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every facet of your case. You can anticipate an accomplished and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to obtain vital evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also experienced injuries in the crash or were close by. As buses carry multiple passengers, there are generally a lot of people who want the same answers and compensation you need. Eyewitness testimony is a vital part of winning your case.
- Collect additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, as well as key details such as how far the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was performed on the bus. Several different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney will determine the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held liable.
- Use our network of Carrollton, MO accident and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and work out precisely how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will implement our experience and expertise to make sure you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Carrollton, MO insurance companies who care more about their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and devalue your injuries. When you hire us, you can be sure those deceptive maneuvers will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until you are fully compensated. If you or a family member has been harmed in a catastrophic bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a role to play in running a bus in a safe manner you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who caused your injuries. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every type of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out what entity is responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Carrollton, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that beginner drivers under the age of 25, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver behavior. While the same study found that only 4 percent of bus accidents were due to an egregious offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus crashes had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep at the wheel. While most busing companies have specifications about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how often they have to take a break, those regulations are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or complied with.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ mass and the intricacy of driving them, slippery roads or Carrollton, MO construction areas can be especially hazardous for bus commuters. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company is at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you discover if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for reviews for more than 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or a mere 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews frequently cannot keep up with the quantity of inspections needed. Some Carrollton, MO bus companies do not adequately repair their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Furthermore, bus companies need to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few typical examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the Carrollton, MO street, the better your odds of holding the negligent parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Carrollton, MO government, or a third party whom the government contracted to fix the problem but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not properly repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney confirm the reasons behind your accident, they will be able to ascertain who is at-fault for your injuries and how to proceed with winning you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are typically found liable in bus accident cases.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are regarded as common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not driving too many hours without a break. Despite saying that safety is their foremost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not following its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obliged to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to hold off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely obeyed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound riders have stated that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which constitutes distracted driving.
Ensuring that Carrollton, MO buses are adequately inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident might be a consequence of a bus company either failing to conduct routine maintenance or failing to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are especially prone to breaking down and bus companies need to keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be mindful in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will perform a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident transpired.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to verify the safety of their vehicles and swiftly issue recalls in the event of a faulty product. If they approve an inherently faulty design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning correctly, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to shift the blame to somebody else, your Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure at-fault parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Carrollton or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be devastating because of the number of people involved and because they typically take place in metropolitan areas. While you can seek compensation from the Carrollton, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury suits. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is urgent to get in touch with a Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney immediately after your accident. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck due to driver error. If they became distracted by eating or talking, did not stop driving when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the Carrollton, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be certain that the devoted and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto wreck, two or more drivers are frequently involved, and in some cases they each may share a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were harmed in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your knowledgeable and veteran Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Carrollton and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Carrollton, MO may also be held accountable, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly dangerous or they did not perform proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Carrollton, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will typically depend on the gravity of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have received a sprained ankle that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in Carrollton, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have received a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will ensure that you are awarded a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We utilize our team of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are entitled to, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney team will fight aggressively to ensure that you collect the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Carrollton, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every category of bus accident case and know the immense anguish and calamitous effect it can have on your and your family. Your Carrollton, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, straightforward and relentless and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past two decades to win you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case review.