Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Ferguson, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Ferguson, MO. If you or a loved one has been injured in a devastating bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never receive equal attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can frequently be equally as harmful and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Ferguson, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and follow the rules. When they break that trust and disregard the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes lifelong consequences for you or your loved ones. Your Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will ensure that you receive the full compensation that you are entitled to for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has more than two decades of experience defending the injured in Ferguson and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like dishonest insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held accountable for their reckless actions. Our Ferguson, MO clients have put their claims and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, devotion, persistence, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Ferguson, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for pricey medical bills and also deal with the emotional shock of your injury only because someone else broke the rules. If you or someone you care about has been harmed in a Ferguson, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a free case review. We start working on your case straight away, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Ferguson, MO because of another person's reckless behavior, learn how much your damages may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Ferguson, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially powerless. After all, you were not the driver and you got on the bus under the impression that that the appropriate safety measures were obeyed. Ferguson, MO bus companies and drivers have strict rules they are supposed to obey, but sometimes they neglect those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly heal from, may have permanent consequences or in the worst cases can even cause wrongful death. The Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we start working on your case immediately, and work tirelessly until you get the best possible compensation you deserve. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident injury and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Ferguson, MO individuals and families into accepting a lower recovery than they deserve. Those Ferguson, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the passionate, experienced and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is complex and can be unforgiving to Ferguson, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial abilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney team, we manage every facet of your case. You can bank on an accomplished and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer on the scene at any time during the day or night in order to acquire key evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are usually many people who want the same answers and compensation you need. We will conduct official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Obtain additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, as well as key details such as how far the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was conducted on the bus. Several different factors contribute to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney will determine why the crash happened and who needs to be held accountable.
- Utilize our network of Ferguson, MO auto wreck and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and assess exactly how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will utilize our savvy and expertise to ensure you receive it.
- Fight back against resistant Ferguson, MO insurance companies who care more about their bottom line than your health. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and avoid their duty to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those ploys will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Beyond that, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner entire time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. We charge no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a family member has been injured in a catastrophic bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since it necessitates so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to discover the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every variety of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine what entity needs to be held responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Ferguson, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under the age of 25, as well as more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver behavior. While the same study stated that just 4 percent of bus accidents were caused by an egregious offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus accidents had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, particularly the ones that drive for commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become sleepy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those regulations are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or followed.
- Road conditions. Given buses’ size and the intricacy of maneuvering them, slippery roads or Ferguson, MO construction areas can be especially risky for bus passengers. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company will be at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 inspectors responsible for inspections of more than 765,000 trucks and buses, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews frequently cannot stay ahead of the number of inspections needed. Some Ferguson, MO bus companies do not correctly repair their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Furthermore, bus companies are required to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Dangerous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few common examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Defective or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for instance branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Ferguson, MO street, the better chance you have of holding the liable parties accountable. The negligent party may be a local Ferguson, MO government, or a third party whom the government contracted to eliminate the condition but either did not do so soon enough or did not adequately repair it.
Once your talented Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney determines the reasons behind your crash, they will be able to ascertain who is at-fault for your injuries and how to proceed with getting you the best possible compensation. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found liable in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are regarded as common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their riders to look out for their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite insisting that safety is their utmost priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often followed as too many breaks could cause financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were because of driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound riders have stated that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making sure that Ferguson, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident may be a consequence of a bus company either failing to carry out routine inspections or failing to repair a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly at risk of breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be properly licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing strict background checks. Your Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the accident transpired.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to ensure the safety of their products and immediately announce recalls if a product is found to be hazardous. If they approve an inherently defective design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning correctly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to place the blame on someone else, your Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure reckless parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Ferguson or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be disastrous because of the amount of people who could be injured and because they often occur in metropolitan areas. While you can make a claim against the Ferguson, MO government, there are particular procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in injury liability claims. If you want to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is essential to contact a Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney immediately after your accident. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against a liable or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck due to recklessness. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not pull over when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the Ferguson, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility to heart and causes you injury, you can be sure that the committed and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto accident, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were injured in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and experienced Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney will help you establish if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Ferguson and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Ferguson, MO may also be held accountable, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when road conditions were especially bad or they did not carry out sufficient background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Ferguson, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you get in a bus accident case will generally depend on the gravity of your injuries and how they have affected and will affect they have on your life. You may have received a mild concussion that merely needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Ferguson, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have sustained a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you collect a fair financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, rehabilitation, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work with our network of medical and economic experts to compute the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you are awarded the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Ferguson, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every category of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and disastrous effect it can have on your and the people you care about. Your Ferguson, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is empathetic, accomplished, trustworthy and determined and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have gained over the past two decades to secure you the full recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.