Bus Accident Attorney in Lemay, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Lemay, MO. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a disastrous bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents hardly ever get equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can often be equally as dangerous and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Lemay, MO bus drivers and bus companies to keep us safe and follow the rules. When they eschew their responsibilities and disregard the rules it can have devastating, sometimes lifelong effects for you or the people you care about. Your Lemay, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make certain that you receive the maximum compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience defending the injured in Lemay and throughout Missouri and standing up to bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who selfishly do not want to be held accountable for their careless actions. Many Lemay, MO families have put their claims and their futures in our accomplished hands, and in total we have gotten them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, dedication, resolution, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Lemay, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose wages, pay for sky-high medical bills and also handle the emotional impact of your injury only because another person disregarded the rules. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a Lemay, MO bus accident, contact the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We begin working on your claim right away, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Lemay, MO because of another person's reckless behavior, learn how much your claim may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
Do I Need a Lemay, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have experienced injuries in a bus accident, you are probably feeling especially vulnerable. After all, you were not the one driving and you boarded the bus supposing that the proper safety arrangements were followed. Lemay, MO bus companies and drivers have stringent rules they have an obligation to obey, but sometimes they fail in those responsibilities and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is generally caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly heal from, may have permanent effects or in the most tragic instances can even cause wrongful death. The Lemay, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you are not required to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we start investigating on your case immediately, and will not let up until you win the best possible compensation you deserve. We have experienced with every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Lemay, MO individuals and families into settling for a lower recovery than they deserve. Those Lemay, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the passionate, veteran and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Lemay, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial capabilities of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Lemay, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every aspect of your case. You can expect an experienced and skilled bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site as soon as possible. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time of the day or night in order to acquire key evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry many passengers, there are almost always other people who want the same answers and financial recovery you seek. Eyewitness testimony is a vital part of proving your case.
- Obtain additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, in additional to key details such as how many miles the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and maintenance was conducted on the bus. Many different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Lemay, MO bus accident attorney will determine the "whys" of the crash and who needs to be held accountable.
- Utilize our network of Lemay, MO accident and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and work out precisely how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will use our know-how and expertise to make certain you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Lemay, MO insurance companies who are more interested in their bottom line than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and avoid their responsibility to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, we will use our finely honed litigation skills to secure you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be keeping you informed entire time. We manage all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can focus all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a loved one has been injured in a disastrous bus accident, contact an expert and dedicated bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a role to play in running a bus in a safe manner you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Lemay, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every variety of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine who needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Lemay, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that inexperienced drivers under 25 years old, as well as more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver error. While the same study reported that only 4 percent of bus accidents were caused by a grave offense such as drunk driving, another study by the University of Michigan reported that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus wrecks had been cited with driving errors, for instance, speeding, being fatigued or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A lot of bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become drowsy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have specifications about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not required or followed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ mass and the intricacy of driving them, slippery roads or Lemay, MO construction areas can be especially risky for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company is at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but not nearly as much as other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for inspections of over 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or just 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews generally cannot keep up with the number of inspections needed. Some Lemay, MO bus companies do not properly inspect their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are mandated to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Hazardous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The more time the dangerous condition has been on the Lemay, MO road, the better chance you have of holding the at-fault parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local Lemay, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to eliminate the issue but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not sufficiently repair it.
Once your experienced Lemay, MO bus accident attorney ascertains the reasons behind your wreck, they will be able to establish who is responsible for your injuries and how to go forward with securing you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are generally found liable in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are regarded as common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their patrons to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to ensure that their drivers are not driving too many miles in a day. Despite saying that safety is their top priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not complying with its own rules when it comes to driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically required to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to stave off fatigue. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely followed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were caused by driver fatigue. Furthermore, many Greyhound riders have reported that their driver was eating during the time of a crash, which is an example of distracted driving.
Making certain that Lemay, MO buses are adequately inspected and repaired and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also part of the bus company's responsibility. A bus accident might be the result of a bus company either failing to conduct routine maintenance or neglecting to repair a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are particularly prone to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be vigilant in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Lemay, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a responsibility to verify the safety of their vehicles and immediately announce recalls if a product is discovered to be hazardous. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they might attempt to place the blame on somebody else, your Lemay, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure at-fault parties are held responsible for their behavior.
The Lemay or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be devastating because of the number of people who could be injured and because they generally happen in densely populated areas. While you can seek a financial recovery from the Lemay, MO government, there are specific procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury claims. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is necessary to get in touch with a Lemay, MO bus accident attorney straight away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at .
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a wreck through driver error. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not stop when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Lemay, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you board a bus you trust that driver with your health and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation to heart and causes you injury, you can be sure that the committed and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will hold them accountable.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto crash, there are often two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may shoulder a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were injured in a bus crash where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and accomplished Lemay, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the the kind of bus crash we most typically see in Lemay and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Lemay, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially poor or they did not perform proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Lemay, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you receive in a bus accident case will usually be based on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have affected and will impact they have on your life. You may have sustained a sprained wrist that only needed a quick trip to an emergency room in Lemay, MO and a week or two off work. Or, you may have experienced a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Lemay, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you are awarded a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work with our team of medical and economic experts to quantify the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However severe your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Lemay, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you are awarded full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
Call Our Lemay, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the incalculable pain and calamitous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Lemay, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, straightforward and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and skills we have acquired over the past 20 years to get you the the best possible recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at or fill out our online form for a complimentary consultation.