Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in North Kansas City, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in North Kansas City, MO. If you or a family member has been injured in a destructive bus accident, take the first step in your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents rarely get equal attention as plane or train accidents, even though the can frequently be similarly harmful and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust North Kansas City, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and obey the rules. When they break that trust and disregard the rules it can have ruinous, sometimes lifelong consequences for you or your family. Your North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you receive the full compensation that you are owed for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in North Kansas City and throughout Missouri and fighting back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to take responsibility for their reckless actions. Many North Kansas City, MO residents have put their cases and their futures in our capable hands, and to date we have gotten them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, commitment, persistence, knowledge and experience to help secure justice in personal injury cases and help North Kansas City, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose wages, pay for extortionate medical bills and also deal with the emotional trauma of your injury only because somebody else did not respect the rules. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a North Kansas City, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation. We begin working on your case immediately, and you do not owe us any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in North Kansas City, MO because of somebody else's careless behavior, discover how much your damages may be worth by using our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a North Kansas City, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you have sustained injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially unprotected. After all, you were not the driver and you boarded the bus under the assumption that the appropriate safety protocols were adhered to. North Kansas City, MO bus companies and drivers have firm rules they are supposed to follow, but sometimes they fail in those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is typically caused by bus accidents, injuries can take years to truly recover from, may have permanent consequences or in the most tragic cases can even result in wrongful death. The North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand in your corner so you are not required to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case straight away, and work relentlessly until you get the maximum compensation you are entitled to. We have experienced with every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured North Kansas City, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they entitled to. Those North Kansas City, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the difficult cases. Call us today and let the empathetic, accomplished and relentless bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you protect your family’s future and help make you whole again.
The legal process is convoluted and can be difficult to comprehend for North Kansas City, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial skills of an accomplished bus accident attorney. We have over 20 years of experience fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every aspect of your case. You can bank on a seasoned and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site as soon as possible. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to secure key evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also involved in the crash or were close by. As buses carry a variety of passengers, there are typically a lot of people who want the same answers and financial recovery you do. We will conduct official depositions of eyewitnesses to aid in your case.
- Obtain additional evidence such as tire marks, security footage, police reports, and important details such as how long the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and repairs were conducted on the bus. A lot of different factors give rise to bus accidents, and your Burger Law North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney will discover why the crash happened and who needs to be held accountable.
- Work with our network of North Kansas City, MO auto wreck and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and put a figure on precisely how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are owed and we will implement our experience and expertise to make sure you collect it.
- Stand up to resistant North Kansas City, MO insurance companies who are more concerned for their bottom line than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their obligation to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those schemes will not work in your case.
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until you are fairly compensated. If you or a family member has been injured in a ruinous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it requires so many people to operate a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to determine the cause of the accident before determining who caused your injuries. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out who needs to be held responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | North Kansas City, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- Driver age and experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident occurred.
- Driver error. While the same study found that just 4 percent of bus accidents were due to a serious offense such as drunk driving, another study by the University of Michigan stated that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus accidents had committed driving errors, such as speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A large portion of bus drivers, particularly those that work for commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during a day or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not mandatory or followed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ weight and the awkwardness of maneuvering them, icy roads or North Kansas City, MO construction areas can be particularly hazardous for bus riders. Sometimes a third party such as a construction company will be liable. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you discover if that applies case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are regulated, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for reviews for over 765,000 commercial motor vehicles, or a mere 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means inspectors often cannot keep pace with the quantity of inspections needed. Some North Kansas City, MO bus companies do not properly inspect their vehicles, causing them to be a hazard. Additionally, bus companies are obligated to ensure that their drivers are properly trained and are not overworked.
- Hazardous roads. Hazards in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. A Few typical examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Defective or missing traffic signals
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the North Kansas City, MO street, the better your odds of holding the liable parties responsible. The negligent party may be a local North Kansas City, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to repair the problem but either did not do so quickly enough or did not correctly repair it.
Once your talented North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney establishes the reasons behind your crash, they will be able to establish who is at-fault for your injuries and how to proceed with delivering you a maximum financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are typically found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Companies
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are considered common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their passengers to look out for their safety. One facet of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not being overworked. Despite saying that safety is their highest priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules in regards to driver fatigue. Drivers are technically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to stave off drowsiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is not often followed as too many breaks could result in financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study found that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound customers have said that their driver was eating during the time of an accident, which constitutes distracted driving.
Making sure that North Kansas City, MO buses are sufficiently inspected and maintained and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident may be a consequence of a bus company either neglecting to conduct routine inspections or neglecting to fix a broken part or component. Buses with more miles under their wheels are particularly prone to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies cannot use negligent hiring practices. All drivers need to be adequately licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the crash transpired.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have a responsibility to confirm the safety of their vehicles and swiftly announce recalls in the event of a faulty product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning correctly, they are guilty of product liability. While they may try to place the blame on somebody else, your North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure negligent parties are held responsible for their actions.
The North Kansas City or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be calamitous because of the number of people who could be injured and because they often happen in densely populated areas. While you can make a claim against the North Kansas City, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has sovereign immunities for governmental entities and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury cases. If you want to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is vital to get in touch with a North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney straight away after your injury. Do not delay, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash owing to negligence. If they became distracted by eating or talking, did not stop driving when they were feeling sleepy, did not pay attention to the North Kansas City, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the horrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you get on a bus you trust that driver with your well-being and your life. If a bus driver does not take that responsibility to heart and causes you injury, you can be sure that the dedicated and relentless bus accident attorney at Burger Law will hold them responsible.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto wreck, there are often two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may shoulder a portion of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and veteran North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are liable and if you should make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in North Kansas City and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is at fault, a school district in North Kansas City, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly poor or they did not perform proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in North Kansas City, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you recover in a bus accident case will usually depend on the seriousness of your injuries and how they have impacted and will affect they have on your life. You may have gotten a sprained ankle that merely required a quick trip to an emergency room in North Kansas City, MO and a short time off work. Or, you may have received a catastrophic spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make certain that you secure a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We work alongside our network of medical and economic experts to compute the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However serious your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney team will fight tirelessly to ensure that you collect full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our North Kansas City, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the tremendous pain and calamitous effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your North Kansas City, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is compassionate, accomplished, honest and determined and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have acquired over the past 20 years to win you the full recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been hurt in a bus accident, do not wait another second. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free case evaluation.