Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Pleasant Hill, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Pleasant Hill, MO. If you or a loved one has been injured in a devastating bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never receive equal attention as plane or train wrecks, even though the can oftentimes be similarly hazardous and fatal. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Pleasant Hill, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and respect the rules. When they eschew their duty and disregard the rules it can have devastating, sometimes permanent consequences for you or the people you care about. Your Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make certain that you receive the full compensation that you are entitled to for your damages.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over two decades of experience defending the injured in Pleasant Hill and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like resistant insurance companies and people who egocentrically do not want to be held responsible for their thoughtless actions. Many Pleasant Hill, MO families have put their claims and their futures in our capable hands, and in total we have secured for them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their determination, dedication, resolution, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Pleasant Hill, MO residents on their road to recovery. You should not have to lose wages, pay for sky-high medical bills and also handle the emotional trauma of your injury only because somebody else did not respect the rules. If you or a family member has been hurt in a Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident, call the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary consultation. We get started on your case straight away, and we do not charge any fees until we win you the financial recovery you are owed.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Pleasant Hill, MO because of somebody else's reckless actions, find out how much your claim may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Pleasant Hill, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, you are probably feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the one driving and you got on board the bus supposing that the adequate safety arrangements were followed. Pleasant Hill, MO bus companies and drivers have strict regulations they have a duty to respect, but sometimes they neglect those duties and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is frequently exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to fully heal from, may have lifelong effects or in the most tragic instances can even cause wrongful death. The Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will stand by your side so you do not need to face an uncertain future alone. When you hire us we start investigating on your case at once, and work relentlessly until you receive the maximum compensation you deserve. We have seen every type of bus accident case and know every trick insurance companies use to try and defraud injured Pleasant Hill, MO individuals and families into settling for less money than they entitled to. Those Pleasant Hill, MO insurance companies fear us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes up – and wins – the tough cases. Call us today and let the compassionate, veteran and tenacious bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal proceedings are complex and can be difficult to comprehend for Pleasant Hill, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial experience of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard cases. When you hire our Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney team, we oversee every aspect of your case. You can anticipate an accomplished and talented bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the crash site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to secure important evidence for your claim.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also received injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are usually other people who want the same answers and financial recovery you seek. We will take official depositions of eyewitnesses to help in your case.
- Collect additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance footage, police reports, and key details such as how long the driver had driven that day or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. A lot of different factors play a part in bus accidents, and your Burger Law Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney will determine the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held accountable.
- Use our network of Pleasant Hill, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and assess exactly how much your injuries are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will use our know-how and expertise to ensure you recover it.
- Stand up to resistant Pleasant Hill, MO insurance companies who care more about their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their responsibility to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those schemes will not work in your case.
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we will use our expert litigation skills to secure you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Additionally, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We handle all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a disastrous bus accident, contact an expert and devoted bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Because it takes so many people to run a bus safely, from manufacturers, to bus companies to drivers, you will first need to discover the cause of the accident before determining who caused your injuries. Thankfully, an accomplished and skilled Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every kind of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to find out who needs to be held accountable for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Pleasant Hill, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that beginner drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over the age of 55 were more likely to be driving when a bus accident transpired.
- Driver action. While the same study reported that a mere 4 percent of bus accidents were owing to a grave offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus wrecks had been cited with driving errors, such as speeding, being sleepy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. Many bus drivers, especially the ones that are employed by commercial bus companies such as Greyhound that necessitate drivers to drive hundreds of miles at all hours of the day or night, become fatigued and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have regulations about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how frequently they have to take a break, those rules are frequently <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or obeyed.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ mass and the intricacy of maneuvering them, slick roads or Pleasant Hill, MO construction areas can be particularly risky for bus riders. In some cases a third party such as a construction company is negligent. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you determine if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for inspections of more than 765,000 trucks and buses, or only 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews typically cannot stay ahead of the number of inspections needed. Some Pleasant Hill, MO bus companies do not adequately inspect their vehicles, causing them to be dangerous. Furthermore, bus companies are mandated to ensure that their drivers are sufficiently trained and are not overworked.
- Dangerous roads. Unsafe road conditions or hazards in the road can result in a driver losing control and causing an accident. A Few typical examples are:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Faulty or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, for example branches or vehicle wreckage
- Insufficient lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the Pleasant Hill, MO road, the better your odds of holding the liable parties responsible. The at-fault party may be a local Pleasant Hill, MO government, or a third party whom the government contracted to repair the condition but either did not do so in a timely fashion or did not properly repair it.
Once your accomplished Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney establishes the reasons for your crash, they will be able to ascertain who is responsible for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward winning you a full financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found liable in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transport buses such as Greyhounds are deemed common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their riders to look out for their safety. Part of that duty of care is to make certain that their drivers are not driving too many hours without a break. In despite of saying that safety is their principal priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically required to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the bus to stave off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely obeyed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study reported that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were owing to driver fatigue. Moreover, many Greyhound riders have reported that their driver was eating during the time of an accident, which constitutes distracted driving.
Ensuring that Pleasant Hill, MO buses are properly inspected and repaired and that safety equipment such as seatbelts are present and up-to-date are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident might be the result of a bus company either neglecting to conduct routine maintenance or neglecting to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly prone to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Lastly, bus companies need to be prudent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be properly licensed and trained, and should only be allowed to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will conduct a full investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck occurred.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to verify the safety of their vehicles and quickly announce recalls in the event of a malfunctioning product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning properly, they are guilty of product liability. While they might try to shift the blame to somebody else, your Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over 20 years of experience making sure liable parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Pleasant Hill or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can often be calamitous because of the amount of people involved and because they generally take place in densely populated areas. While you can make a claim against the Pleasant Hill, MO government, there are special procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in tort cases. If you seek to file a suit against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the accident with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is imperative to get in touch with a Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney straight away after your injury. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was driving a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or thoughtless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash owing to negligence. If they became distracted by eating or texting, did not pull over when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Pleasant Hill, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the terrible decision to drive drunk, they need to be held accountable just like their employers sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your safety and your life. If a bus driver does not take that obligation seriously and causes you injury, you can be confident that the dedicated and aggressive bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto crash, there are frequently two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may shoulder a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s recklessness, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can hurt you. If you were injured in a bus wreck where there was another driver or drivers involved, your talented and veteran Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney will help you ascertain if they are at fault and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus accident in Pleasant Hill and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus crashes. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is liable, a school district in Pleasant Hill, MO may also be held responsible, for instance if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were particularly dangerous or they did not conduct proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Pleasant Hill, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you recover in a bus accident case will generally depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have gotten a sprained ankle that only required a quick trip to an emergency room in Pleasant Hill, MO and a couple weeks off work. Or, you may have received a devastating spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of special equipment for the remainder of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you collect a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical costs, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
We utilize our team of medical and economic experts to determine the exact dollar amount you are owed, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have affected your life, Burger Law's Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney team will fight relentlessly to ensure that you are awarded full compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Pleasant Hill, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every variety of bus accident case and know the incalculable pain and catastrophic effect it can have on your and your loved ones. Your Pleasant Hill, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, honest and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past 20 years to get you the the best possible recovery you rightfully deserve. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bus accident, there is no time to wait. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free consultation.