Standing by your side
Bus Accident Attorney in Sugar Creek, MO
Bus Accident Attorney in Sugar Creek, MO. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a destructive bus accident, take control of your recovery by calling Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or by contacting us online.
Bus accidents almost never receive the same attention as plane or train crashes, even though the can oftentimes be equally as harmful and deadly. In 2020, there were 964 bus accidents in Missouri that resulted in personal injury or death. We trust Sugar Creek, MO bus drivers and bus companies to maintain our safety and obey the rules. When they break that trust and do not respect the rules it can have devastating, sometimes permanent consequences for you or your loved ones. Your Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make sure that you collect the maximum compensation that you are owed for your injuries.
At Burger Law, our bus accident attorney team has over 20 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured in Sugar Creek and throughout Missouri and pushing back against bullies like deceptive insurance companies and people who carelessly do not want to be held responsible for their thoughtless actions. Our Sugar Creek, MO clients have put their cases and their futures in our trustworthy hands, and in total we have won them over $175 million in verdicts and settlements. Our bus accident attorney team uses their hard work, devotion, persistence, knowledge and experience to help right wrongs in personal injury cases and help Sugar Creek, MO residents become whole again. You should not have to lose work, pay for ridiculous medical bills and also handle the emotional toll of your injury just because another person did not respect the rules. If you or a family member has been injured in a Sugar Creek, MO bus accident, get in touch with the bus accident attorney of Burger Law today at (314) 500-HURT or contact us online for a complimentary case review. We start working on your case at once, and we do not charge any fees until we win your case.
If you were injured in a bus accident in Sugar Creek, MO because of someone else's careless actions, discover how much your claim may be worth by filling out our personal injury calculator.
What's The Process to Settle My Personal Injury Claim?
Click to view video
Click to view video
Do I Need a Sugar Creek, MO Bus Accident Attorney?
If you were caused injuries in a bus accident, we know you are feeling especially undefended. After all, you were not the driver and you got on board the bus supposing that the appropriate safety measures were followed. Sugar Creek, MO bus companies and drivers have strict rules they have a duty to obey, but sometimes they neglect those obligations and they leave us to pick up the pieces. Because of the force that is generally exerted by bus accidents, injuries can take years to really heal from, may have lifelong consequences or in the worst cases can even result in wrongful death. The Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will fight on your behalf so you do not have to go it alone. When you hire us we begin investigating on your case straight away, and work relentlessly until you get the full compensation you deserve. We have made a claim for every type of bus accident claim and know every trick insurance companies use to try and deceive injured Sugar Creek, MO individuals and families into accepting less money than they are owed. Those Sugar Creek, MO insurance companies are afraid of us because they know our bus accident attorney team takes on – and wins – the hard cases. Call us today and let the passionate, accomplished and aggressive bus accident lawyers at Burger Law help you safeguard your family’s future and help make you whole again.
Legal procedures are complicated and can be difficult to comprehend for Sugar Creek, MO residents who do not have the litigation and trial experience of an accomplished bus accident attorney. For over 20 years fighting back against bullies and fighting the hard fight. When you hire our Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney team, we handle every facet of your case. You can anticipate a veteran and savvy bus accident attorney at Burger Law to:
- Investigate the accident site the first chance we get. When you call us, we can have a bus accident lawyer at the site at any time during the day or night in order to secure key evidence for your case.
- Interview eyewitnesses who were either also sustained injuries in the crash or were nearby. As buses carry a lot of passengers, there are usually other passengers who want the same answers and compensation you need. Eyewitness testimony is a vital part of winning your case.
- Acquire additional evidence such as tire marks, surveillance videos, police reports, in additional to key details such as how long the driver had driven without taking a break or when the last inspection and repairs were performed on the bus. Several different factors give rise to bus accidents, and your Burger Law Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney will determine the "whys" of the accident and who needs to be held responsible.
- Work alongside our network of Sugar Creek, MO crash and medical experts to determine liability for your bus accident injuries and compute exactly how much your damages are worth. You deserve every dime of what you are entitled to and we will implement our savvy and expertise to make certain you collect it.
- Fight back against resistant Sugar Creek, MO insurance companies who care more about their profits than your well-being. We have seen every trick in the book that insurance companies use to try and weasel their way out of their obligation to compensate you. When you hire us, you can be sure those tricks will not work in your case.
- Take the fight to trial if the insurance company will not offer a fair settlement, we will use our constantly trained litigation skills to win you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Furthermore, our bus accident attorney team will be in your corner whole time. We oversee all communication, documentation and litigation so that you can spend all of your energy on healing and making your family whole again. You owe us no attorneys fees until we win your case. If you or someone you care about has been injured in a devastating bus accident, contact an expert and committed bus accident attorney at Burger Law today.
Who is Liable for My Bus Accident Injuries?
Since bus drivers, companies and manufacturers all have a part to play in operating a bus safely you will first need to discover the cause of the accident before determining who is liable. Fortunately, an accomplished and skilled Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney like those at Burger Law have seen every category of car accident, truck accident and bus accident case and will be able to determine who is responsible for your injuries.
What Causes Bus Accidents? | Sugar Creek, MO Bus Accident Attorney
- The age of the driver and their experience. A 2012 Journal of Safety Research study found that novice drivers under 25 years old, in addition to more experienced drivers over 55 years old were more likely to be driving when a bus accident took place.
- Driver error. While the same study reported that just 4 percent of bus accidents were because of a serious offense such as driving while intoxicated, another study by the University of Michigan found that 31 percent of bus drivers in metropolitan area bus collisions had committed driving errors, for instance, speeding, being drowsy or distracted driving.
- Driver fatigue. A lot of bus drivers, particularly those that are employed by commercial bus lines such as Greyhound that require drivers to drive hundreds of miles in the middle of the night, become sleepy and can even fall asleep behind the wheel. While most busing companies have rules about how many hours a driver can drive during without a break or how often they have to take a break, those rules are often <a href="https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/greyhound-investigation/" target="_blank” rel="nofollow noreferrer noopener title="CNN"not obligated or complied with.
- Road hazards. Given buses’ mass and the difficulty of maneuvering them, slick roads or Sugar Creek, MO construction areas can be especially dangerous for bus passengers. Occasionally a third party such as a construction company will be at fault. Burger Law's bus accident attorney will help you discover if that is the case.
- Negligence by the bus company. Bus companies are overseen by regulatory entities, but much less than other transportation industries. A 2011 study by the National Transportation Safety Board found that The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has only 878 people responsible for inspections of more than 765,000 trucks and buses, or a mere 1.15 inspectors per 1,000 motor carriers. This means reviews generally cannot keep pace with the number of inspections needed. Some Sugar Creek, MO bus companies do not properly inspect their vehicles, causing them to be less safe. Additionally, bus companies need to make sure that their drivers are properly trained and do not drive too long without a break.
- Dangerous roads. Faults in the road and road conditions can cause a driver to lose control and crash. Some common examples are:
- Uneven pavement or cracks in the pavement
- Malfunctioning or missing traffic lights
- Obstacles on the road, such as branches or vehicle wreckage
- Inadequate lighting
- Excessive grades
The longer the hazardous condition has been on the Sugar Creek, MO street, the better chance you have of holding the at-fault parties accountable. The liable party may be a local Sugar Creek, MO government, or a third party whom the government paid to eliminate the problem but either did not do so soon enough or did not adequately repair it.
Once your knowledgeable Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney ascertains the reasons behind your crash, they will be able to confirm who is liable for your injuries and how to take the next steps toward delivering you the best possible financial recovery. Below are some examples of parties who are frequently found at-fault in bus accident claims.
Commercial Bus Lines
Transportation buses such as Greyhounds are regarded as common carriers legally speaking, which means they have a duty of care to their customers to look out for their safety. One aspect of that duty of care is to make sure that their drivers are not driving too many hours in a day. In despite of saying that safety is their principal priority, a CNN report in 2016 found that Greyhound is not obeying its own rules regarding driver fatigue. Drivers are theoretically obligated to stop every 150 miles and get out to inspect the vehicle to hold off sleepiness. However, the rule is not enforced and is rarely followed as too many breaks could lead to financial losses for the company. A 2012 government study stated that 37 percent of all passenger bus crashes were because of driver fatigue. Additionally, many Greyhound customers have stated that their driver was eating when the crash transpired, which constitutes distracted driving.
Ensuring that Sugar Creek, MO buses are properly inspected and repaired and that they have safety equipment such as seatbelts are also the responsibility of the bus company. A bus accident might be a consequence of a bus company either neglecting to conduct routine inspections or neglecting to fix a broken part or component. Older buses are particularly susceptible to breaking down and bus companies must keep their fleets updated.
Finally, bus companies need to be diligent in their hiring practices. All drivers need to be correctly licensed and trained, and should only be able to drive after passing stringent background checks. Your Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law will carry out a complete investigation into the bus company's hiring practices and the person who was driving when the wreck happened.
A Bus Manufacturer
Like car and other motor vehicle manufacturers, bus manufacturers have an obligation to ensure the safety of their vehicles and quickly issue recalls in the event of a defective product. If they approve an inherently dangerous design or do not recall a component that they knew or should have known was not functioning adequately, they are guilty of product liability. While they may attempt to shift the blame to someone else, your Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law has over two decades of experience making sure liable parties are held accountable for their actions.
The Sugar Creek or Missouri Government or a Public Entity
Public transportation accidents can frequently be ruinous because of the amount of people who could be injured and because they frequently transpire in densely populated areas. While you can make a claim against the Sugar Creek, MO government, there are specific procedures for doing so. Missouri has stricter protections for governmental bodies and government employees than for the average citizen in personal injury suits. If you seek to make a claim against a municipality or government employee, you must file it within 90 days of the injury with the Office of Administration’s Risk Management Division. That is why it is imperative to call a Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney right away after your injury. There is no time to wait, call the trusted Burger Law bus accident injury lawyers now at (314) 500-HURT.
Missouri Revised Statute §537.600 grants sovereign immunity to government entities and employees except against a government employee who was operating a motor vehicle “within the course of their employment.” This means that you can sue or make a claim against an at-fault or reckless public bus driver in Missouri.
The Bus Driver
Even a properly licensed and trained bus driver can cause a crash because of driving mistakes. If they became distracted by looking at the roadside or talking, did not stop driving when they were feeling overly tired, did not pay attention to the Sugar Creek, MO road conditions and driving laws while they were driving or made the foolish decision to drive drunk, they need to be held responsible just like bus companies sometimes have to be. When you go on board a bus you trust that driver with your well-being and your life. If a bus driver does not take that duty to heart and causes you injury, you can be confident that the dedicated and tenacious bus accident attorney at Burger Law will make them pay.
The Other Driver
Like any type of auto accident, there are often two or more drivers, and in some cases they each may share a percentage of the blame. Another driver’s negligence, such as speeding, driving while intoxicated or pulling in front of the bus too quickly can injure you. If you were harmed in a bus accident where there was another driver or drivers involved, your skilled and veteran Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney will help you determine if they are liable and if you can make a claim against their insurance company.
School bus accidents are the most common type of bus crash in Sugar Creek and Missouri. Nationally, school bus accidents account for 40 percent of all fatal bus accidents. While often the driver, bus company or bus manufacturer is responsible, a school district in Sugar Creek, MO may also be held responsible, for example if they did not cancel school on a day when weather conditions were especially poor or they did not carry out proper background checks when hiring drivers.
Below are some helpful links and frequently asked questions for bus accident injuries and other types of injuries:
- Do I have to Talk to the Insurance Company Before I Talk to a Lawyer?
- How Much to Expect in an Auto Accident Settlement
- What Happens During Litigation?
- Does My Family Have a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Proving Negligence in a Personal Injury Claim
What Compensation Can A Bus Accident Attorney in Sugar Creek, MO Recover For Me?
The compensation you collect in a bus accident case will usually depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the repercussions they have on your life. You may have sustained a mild concussion that only required a quick trip to an emergency room in Sugar Creek, MO and a week or two off work. Or, you may have sustained a disastrous spinal cord injury that leaves you disabled and in need of assistive devices for the rest of your life. When you hire a dedicated and accomplished Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law, we will make sure that you collect a great financial recovery for all of the pain and inconvenience your injury has caused and will continue to cause. Missouri Senate Bill 239 defines the damages you can receive as:
- Economic damages, including:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, physical therapy, assistive devices and medications
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
We work alongside our team of medical and economic experts to calculate the exact dollar amount you deserve, accounting for inflation for future lost earning potential or future medical expenses.
- Noneconomic damages, including:
- pain and suffering
- mental anguish
- physical impairment
- loss of capacity to enjoy life
- loss of consortium
However grave your injuries and however much they have impacted your life, Burger Law's Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney team will fight aggressively to ensure that you get the best possible compensation for all of your damages.
Learn more about our various practice areas by clicking the links below:
- Truck Crash Lawyers in Missouri
- Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer in Missouri
- Car Accident Attorney in Missouri
Call Our Sugar Creek, MO Bus Accident Attorney Today
We have seen every category of bus accident case and know the immense pain and catastrophic effect it can have on your and your family. Your Sugar Creek, MO bus accident attorney at Burger Law is passionate, accomplished, straightforward and persistent and will use every bit of the knowledge and abilities we have obtained over the past 20 years to get you the the best possible recovery you are rightfully owed. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident, do not delay. Call Burger Law immediately at (314) 500-HURT or fill out our online form for a free consultation.